Fellow storm owners

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
lloydie

Re: Fellow storm owners

Post by lloydie »

For a fun/toy bike upping the rear and dropping the front sprockets is great like mine was till I needed to use it to commute on now I have gone back to standard gearing and find it much better but 6th is only used on the motorway otherwise its a 5 speed box lol
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydie wrote:For a fun/toy bike upping the rear and dropping the front sprockets is great like mine was till I needed to use it to commute on now I have gone back to standard gearing and find it much better but 6th is only used on the motorway otherwise its a 5 speed box lol
oops i meant -1 ft and +1 r
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

lloydie wrote:For a fun/toy bike upping the rear and dropping the front sprockets is great like mine was till I needed to use it to commute on now I have gone back to standard gearing and find it much better but 6th is only used on the motorway otherwise its a 5 speed box lol
True but if you drop the gearing to 15\43 you once again have a 5 speed box as 1st is to low to use for much of anything and if you go to the gearing commander site and plug in the numbers
You will see that the ratios for 2nd-6th with 15\43 final is close enough to be called the same as 1st-5th with 16\41 final.

So dropping the gearing that low never made much sense to me. I have run 16\43 but once I got the engine\carbs dialed in I went back to 16\41 and she will still flip over backwards if you are
hamfisted so why gear lower.... :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Very good point hawk . I do find I can use first now without lofting the front but I try to keep it up tbh ha ha
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

lloydie wrote:Very good point hawk . I do find I can use first now without lofting the front but I try to keep it up tbh ha ha
It is nice that my point is understood here. On the other board this turned into a major "discussion" a couple of different times.

Even when shown, that mathematically, the final drive is the same ratio I would get things like "but it feels different" as a reason why I had to be wrong and running extremely low gearing is a good thing. :rolleyes3:

I have even heard, but it makes it easy because i have to start on hills........ I want to ask, do you live on a fraking vertical cliff but have refrained......lol

So IMHO -1 front or +2 in the rear is as low as you should go if you feel the need to lower your gearing.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

Thanks for the welcome guys, and all the tips :D .