Exhaust heat wrap

General Bike chat
gl_s_r

Re: Exhaust heat wrap

Post by gl_s_r »

Much thanks for the link... think the ceramic has to be a better option than wrapping..
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

gl_s_r wrote:Much thanks for the link... think the ceramic has to be a better option than wrapping..

I called then and asked about it

Stop of my head am sure it was about £100 inc vat
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

I recall reading taht titanium exhausts do not take well to ceramic coating...... they get very brittle from the heat retention apparently.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Excess heat can do that to Titanium. Mori header pipes don't continue the TI right up to the cylinder outlets for that reason and use the standard pipe for the first 6-12 inches or so.

I only learnt this recently!

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

thumperslaw wrote:
gl_s_r wrote:Much thanks for the link... think the ceramic has to be a better option than wrapping..

I called then and asked about it

Stop of my head am sure it was about £100 inc vat
Was that inside and out, or just the outside?

BTW, why do they not do insides on used pipes? I get why not on plain old rusted pipes, but on a stainless pipe, all it would need was cleaning...

I'm thinking Jet Hot is still a better option, despite the darned shipping... I'm probably gonna get an ebay one, have it coated and then shipped to me... Perhaps, I'll badger Mike to be my gopher... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

badger... gopher.... do I detect an obsession with small furry rodents? lol
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

I prefer the term Huckleberry...... and yes I got you covered if you need any help with shipping Markus :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

mik_str wrote:badger... gopher.... do I detect an obsession with small furry rodents? lol
Actually, I didn't catch that one myself... :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The ceramic coating doesn't adhere well to sooty/carbon deposits on the inside of the exhaust. Best give them a brand new exhaust for inner & outer coating.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Wicky wrote:The ceramic coating doesn't adhere well to sooty/carbon deposits on the inside of the exhaust. Best give them a brand new exhaust for inner & outer coating.
Well, Jet Hot says they will bead blast and clean the inside and out, so it makes no difference if new or used... And they give you a warranty on the work, used or new... So hence my question...
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Tweety wrote:
Wicky wrote:The ceramic coating doesn't adhere well to sooty/carbon deposits on the inside of the exhaust. Best give them a brand new exhaust for inner & outer coating.
Well, Jet Hot says they will bead blast and clean the inside and out, so it makes no difference if new or used... And they give you a warranty on the work, used or new... So hence my question...
And you can extrude hone tool steel from the inside out (read up on abrasive flow machining) .. so cleaning the inside of a hunk of tube is childs play if thats what they want to do.

Jet hot is the only place I have found that does the inside... al my local powder coaters will ceramic coat the outside.. but at about the same cost locally for have the job seems silly, so i'll outsource to Jet hot when it's time.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I think I can see why my quotes were higher as it appears to be a different idea behind it all together and not a paint option as the others listed in the thread.

I'll list the FAQ of the site and I'm sure it will raise some more quibbles over the benefits of one over the other... mainly looking at Questions 20-25, 29 and 39.

http://www.zircotec.com/page/frequent_questions/5

and a bit of a cobblers video for it... but the spraying looks good to have a go at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsAtU3VzAM

I went to these people first as we used them at work in the past for various projects/parts... and they seemed to be happy with them till the move over to Inconel etc..
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

gl_s_r wrote:I think I can see why my quotes were higher as it appears to be a different idea behind it all together and not a paint option as the others listed in the thread.

I'll list the FAQ of the site and I'm sure it will raise some more quibbles over the benefits of one over the other... mainly looking at Questions 20-25, 29 and 39.

http://www.zircotec.com/page/frequent_questions/5

and a bit of a cobblers video for it... but the spraying looks good to have a go at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdsAtU3VzAM

I went to these people first as we used them at work in the past for various projects/parts... and they seemed to be happy with them till the move over to Inconel etc..
Zircotec is only down the road for me but there pricing is not cheap! they my do a better job but at well over £200 plus vat :?
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

cybercarl wrote:Excess heat can do that to Titanium. Mori header pipes don't continue the TI right up to the cylinder outlets for that reason and use the standard pipe for the first 6-12 inches or so.

I only learnt this recently!

All Moriwaki RACING full systems were entirely Ti. The VTR 1000F and VTR SP1 STREET versions used the rear cylinder short header pipe but the front cylinder was all Ti to the cylinder head
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks Roger that's very interesting. :thumbup:

==============================Enter the Darkside