The loud pipes argument

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Re: The loud pipes argument

Post by VTRDark »

Around London Louder cans are vital along with good observation skills. What the Yanks would consider Jaywalking is perfectly fine here so there are people crossing in between traffic from all sides and directions around town, so double as bad :eek2 The traffic could be at a standstill and bikes will be be either filtering along the centre or swerving in and out between the lanes of traffic to progress forward. The best one is buses. They will be on your left at the bus stop and one fitters along the outside, gives the exhaust a blip before getting to the front of the bus and it warns people that are crossing in front of the bus that are just about to step out in your path as they can't see you. Give the horn a beep and it will get lost in all the other sounds or horns being beeped. People just ignore it a bit like a car alarm gong off. We are immune to them. Then there are coaches, bi lorries etc. Yes there are the exceptions with death people, :lol: Might as well be death, as people are like zombies sometimes. :lol: :lol: and this is one of the big concerns with electric vehicles. The same for the blind who totally rely on their hearing.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Virt

Post by Virt »

cybercarl wrote: and this is one of the big concerns with electric vehicles. The same for the blind who totally rely on their hearing.

I'll stick a speaker on the bike and listen to some Death Metal when I ride. Whenever I play it I get my friends constantly telling me to "turn that sh1t off" even if they're in the middle of something. I'm 110% sure that my logic here is infallible. :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote:
sirch345 wrote:
geodude wrote: g) any others I have missed?
You forgot one George, mobile phone users :wink:
A driver couldn't possible be interrupted by a noisy bike when returning/sending a text message 8O :thumbdown:

Chris.
Unless I'm beside them then they get the full db of my exhaust .
:lol: :lol:

You've just reminded me Lloydie. I was out on the bike a couple of weeks ago when I was following a car with only one brake light working. Now if that was me in my car I'd appreciate anyone telling me. With that in mind, and the fact I didn't see him braking at one point (the sun had blanked out the one brake light that was working) I decided to let him know, that was if he was still in front of me once we reached a set of traffic lights I knew were ahead and they were red. So 3 miles later we are approaching the traffic lights, and sure enough they turned red just as we got to them. I pulled up along side the car driver, he must have been crapping himself as he wouldn't even look at me. He must have been a guy in his forties. His window was partially down so he must have heard my bike for sure, so I tapped on his window just in case, and told him his off side brake light was not working, I also explained how I got closer to him at one point than I would have liked due to the working brake light being obstructed by the bright sunshine, someone else not keeping their distance due to the situation could have run into the back of him. In a weak voice he just said OK I'll get it fixed. I think I must have really frightened him, but that was not my intention.

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think I must have really frightened him, but that was not my intention.
Was you wearing a fluorescent green vest and white lid at the time. :lol: When I used to wear my fluorescent ex motorcycle police jacket I used to get different reactions from drivers. And not always what I wanted. I could be behind a vehicle and they would slow down rather than speed up. It just goes to show that all these things, whether loud cans, fluorescent vests or other so called safety measures, have an action and reaction. Whether it is positive or negative depends on the circumstances.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
I think I must have really frightened him, but that was not my intention.
Was you wearing a fluorescent green vest and white lid at the time. :lol: When I used to wear my fluorescent ex motorcycle police jacket I used to get different reactions from drivers. And not always what I wanted. I could be behind a vehicle and they would slow down rather than speed up. It just goes to show that all these things, whether loud cans, fluorescent vests or other so called safety measures, have an action and reaction. Whether it is positive or negative depends on the circumstances.

Brilliant Carl, that was exactly what I was wearing, although with a black lid. I never even gave that a thought :lol:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Loud pipes didn't work for this Harley rider...

[youtube][/youtube]
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
geodude

Post by geodude »

Wicky wrote:Loud pipes didn't work for this Harley rider...

[youtube][/youtube]
Ouch. Observation failure!
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Wicky wrote:Loud pipes didn't work for this Harley rider...

[youtube][/youtube]
And that's why motorcycles are dangerous for the blind!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh well, one less Harley to worry about

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Virt

Post by Virt »

That's the riders own fault :lol: watched it on my phone, not fullscreen and still saw that at least 10 seconds before he reacted to it! His road positioning didn't help :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Observation failure!
I think he fell asleep the way he was drifting all over the road. :lol:

Nickcv

Post by Nickcv »

Maybe Harley riders think they're invincible.
Last edited by Nickcv on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Clearly the car driver's fault who pulled out seriously underestimating the stopping distance of the Harley which is on a par with a Supertanker.

Or as suggested earlier the rider is simply deaf-blind and brain dead.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Keith

Post by Keith »

Wicky wrote:Or as suggested earlier the rider is simply deaf-blind and brain dead.
He bought a Harley....Enough said! :lol:

I am not Anti-Harliest, honest. I have a friend who owns a Harley!! He can tie his own shoe laces now :wave:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Keith wrote: He bought a Harley....Enough said! :lol:

I am not Anti-Harliest, honest. I have a friend who owns a Harley!! He can tie his own shoe laces now :wave:
But can he undo them too? :lol: :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Virt, you are from the velcro generation I doubt you every learned to tie laces
AMcQ