So I broke down today

General Biker Banter
bsabloke

Re: So I broke down today

Post by bsabloke »

Made some small jump leads from 2.5mm tri rated cable. Enough to jump start in situations like this. Fit into a small clear plastic pencil case. 2.5metres long. Easy storage under the seat. :thumbup:
Saves pushing, bump starting or waiting for breakdown service
:thumbup: 8O
piggy1

Post by piggy1 »

Cool.... But I was in the middle of nowhere no means to jump lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:
piggy1 wrote:Ordered a motobatt so [SMIRKING FACE]

I've heard people say the motobatt wont fit in the space properly and the cover won't go on. In the battery box there are strips of foam on the under side of the lid and in the bottom of the tray, you need to at least remove the ones from the underside of the lid, maybe from the tray too (can't remember) then the battery will fit, it will be tight and difficult to remove again but it will fit and the lid too..
My M/Batt fits fine, I even run a fabric strap around it to ease removal & the lid still closes...bit tight but it closes.

If you upgrade to the slightly more powerful one then that wont fit & the lid has to come off as it's a smidge taller.

IIRC when you get it there will be a plastic foot thing which you have to remove or it wont go in...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
thomas111

Post by thomas111 »

Piggy1 when I got my bike it has one of these battery's and remove all the foam once its in it is very tight but the lid does closes well mine did till I broke it
piggy1

Post by piggy1 »

Nice one guys cheers, I think it's the smaller one as it was a choice of two and one was slightly taller

popkat

Post by popkat »

MacV2 wrote:
popkat wrote:

I've heard people say the motobatt wont fit in the space properly and the cover won't go on. In the battery box there are strips of foam on the under side of the lid and in the bottom of the tray, you need to at least remove the ones from the underside of the lid, maybe from the tray too (can't remember) then the battery will fit, it will be tight and difficult to remove again but it will fit and the lid too..
My M/Batt fits fine, I even run a fabric strap around it to ease removal & the lid still closes...bit tight but it closes.

If you upgrade to the slightly more powerful one then that wont fit & the lid has to come off as it's a smidge taller.

IIRC when you get it there will be a plastic foot thing which you have to remove or it wont go in...
Wouldn't that have been the motobatt I'm referring to, or do you have one in all your bikes, they are Yellow you know 8O
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

popkat wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
popkat wrote:

Wouldn't that have been the motobatt I'm referring to, or do you have one in all your bikes, they are Yellow you know 8O
Yep the lovely RED F2 & the Smokin Joe both have M/Batt's fitted.

None of the Storms I've ever had have had any foam in the Batt box, so I have no idea what foam your on about...

No the yellow doesn't help but it's more to do with the weight of the bloody things... :lol: :lol:

Now I could be wrong here but I think a slightly bigger M/batt rated as 14ah (?) is available & that's the one that's a bit taller so the lid has to come off.
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

Exact same thing happened to me, and need a new battery. Can anyone post a link to a decent site please?
Mine is a 1998 model, are they all the same size?
Thanks in advance
piggy1

Post by piggy1 »

wemoto.com is where I got it from and nice guys too, battery fits with no foam to remove just had to take off the universal base at the bottom of battery

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Dr B1G wrote:Exact same thing happened to me, and need a new battery. Can anyone post a link to a decent site please?
Mine is a 1998 model, are they all the same size?
Thanks in advance
Post 2001 VTR batteries are slightly taller with an tad improved A/h rating over earlier 97-01 spec batteries - The motobat battery for my '97 seems a fraction larger causing it to wedge tighter in battery compartment resulting into having to remove the plastic battery compartment & lid to be able to get it in & out. No 'foam' to remove from my bike and motobat base plate removed.

As mentioned M&P, fleabay or your local motorcycle dealer should get you a decent Yousa or similar battery.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
piggy1

Post by piggy1 »

Strange as I fitted a motobatt one on my 98 storm today without removing lid or battery compartment.......
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

popkat wrote:

Mine fits - like a glove and I can take a picture to prove it.

You will need to put tie wraps arount it to get it back out cause of the snugg fit, and the cover is still attached.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bazza696 wrote:[quote="popkat"

Mine fits - like a glove and I can take a picture to prove it.

You will need to put tie wraps arount it to get it back out cause of the snugg fit, and the cover is still attached.[/quote]

Bazza tie wraps are soooo last year Darling...What you need is the Acme ''Battery Removal Strap'' (Copyright 2006.)

These straps are used by various supermarkets to secure the doors on the cages they have stock delivered in. These slow blue ones come from Co-Op,but other colours are available, I have black & red ones as well. You whip off the black plastic hook thing, cut it to length, use a lighter to melt the cut end to stop it fraying, loop it round the battery, & use the handy loop at the other end to make a handy handle...

Bit snug with it on but both my Storms have this & both battery lids fit & close as they should...

I liberate mine from various Co-Op's when they are kind enough to leave the cages in the car park...I call it recycling... :lol: :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Next time I'm shopping I'll ask the checkout girl if she has a strap-on...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

your in trouble if she has :crazy: :n6013r0: