Back from the Grave

General Biker Banter
mik_str

Re: Back from the Grave

Post by mik_str »

welcome back Carl. Sorry to hear of your loss, but even more happy to learn you had take the wise decision of quitting smoking (so happy I never started; I watched my father cough enough to turn me off the habit). Stay strong and it will all be worth it in the end.

cheers
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hey Carl... good to see you are about and well. Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, i'm sure you know that you have a lot of people here alone who's thought's are with you. Good luck with the smoking... or should i say quitting.

If i may give some input as a smoker... this is only a suggestion and may or may not work for you.. Should you find it difficult as time goes on to quit, something that may bring an extra bit of strength when needed.. A book... The Easy Way To Stop Smoking by Allan Carr. There are plenty of reviews around, some good some bad so obviously the book is not for everyone but I myself have read it.. Must immediately put my hand up and say yes I do smoke again now but I have given up in the past for a fair length of time and when I did it was after reading the book. It is a bit of an odd ball book, it explains things in ways we often do think about. I would never say to someone this book will work for them but I certainly felt the difference reading the book made. It very much helps with the mind set.. not in a way of making you realise you should quit but helps you realise you can quit. To be fair it's quit a interesting read. The book is cheap enough... think it was about £8 when I bought it... or I have a copy that I can lend you if you are interested.. I have every intention of giving up myself but for now I just want my garage sale to sort out so I can get back on my feet... once that's done and my head is clear of worries quitting will be at the top of my to do list and it will be time to dust off the book.

Good luck buddy :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Very sorry to hear about your loss Carl. I looked up Phoebe Snow and started to play Poetry as I was reading your post. I think it made your tail even more poniente. It's amazing how things can feel cereal when things like that happen in your life. Cherish the memories, the good and the bad, as they all make the person.
Best wishes :thumbup:

Now, consider yourself severely spanked and lets get on with life :wink:
Something to look forward to....I was bad for 6 months when I quit the fags. None of this namby pamby vap shite, Just weent cold turkey.
What you have to keep telling yourself is. The nicotine addiction only takes 3 or 4 days to clear your system ( Fact). The rest is just habit. We have programmed our selve to smoke and you have to work on braking every little trigger you have built up over the years, that's the tough bit. :wink:
:thumbup: Good luck :thumbup:

Thats the book which worked for my brother :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Just to touch on what Pete said... indeed, it's the habit that is hard to break, at least I certainly believe that to be the case. The book I mentioned... that focuses more on breaking the habit rather than addiction.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thanks for the kind words. Yeh I know that book, not read it though as I am not much or a book reader unless it's a workshop or software manual and I have enough of them to read which I haven't got around too. even though the Alan Carr is highly recommended and has helped many people, I doubt it would work for me. I'm too pig headed and stubborn. Year of the Pig and a Taurean me so double stubborn. I'm the kind of guy that enjoys looking at photos on a ciggie packet of lungs in the state they are. That has never put me off. In fact I love those kind of programmes where they operate on people and /cut them up in a forensics lab as long as it's factual. I find it interesting. I'm also terrible for taking other peoples words for things and like to discover, find out for myslef usually the hard way.

Apparently my father used to smoke 40+ ciggies a day and the day I was born he stopped. Simply used willpower which is something I lack hence the vape being used as my crutch. I tried patches and those plastic nicorette puffers things in the past and they did not help and I continued to smoke while using them. :eek2 The vape actually works to my surprise. But I am still getting that nicotine hit. Lets see how things are going in a months time. Once off the ciggies completely I then have to wean myslef off the vape. Haven't had a fag today yet, sucking on my vape. Now that is the mentality I need to escape. Yet.....why did I add that. My head is already thinking I will have a proper smoke at some stage today.

OK got to stop talking about this as it's making me crave more.
('sucks on vape even harder')

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

my missus gave up the rollies a year ago .

she is now addicted to the vaping but I am so pleased for her as it must be so much better for her health. :thumbup:

keep up the good work :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back Carl, although I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your close friend. It certainly sounds like you did him proud with a good send off.

The best of luck with giving up the cigarettes,

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Sorry for your loss Carl ,time heals all wounds , but take care of yourself.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

she is now addicted to the vaping but I am so pleased for her as it must be so much better for her health. :thumbup:
I would like to think it's healthier but there is no evidence of it as of yet. Who knows what they will say about them in years to come. The other day the powers to be came out with vaping being 95% healthier
http://time.com/money/4005030/vaping-he ... expensive/

But only today I was listening a news programme and they say that this testing was only done on 12 people and 2 of them where from the tobacco industry so it's a farce. It certainly saves a few quid, though not as much as people would think. Good fluid (not the Hong Kong crap) is not that cheap and then there are the atomizers and then the batteries etc etc, it all adds up.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

agreed . no one really knows yet but fags are deff not good for you .

I consider my self lucky not to have an addictive personality. while she smoked I would have the odd drag but could take it or leave it . in fact the other afternoon I spent an afternoon with a mate and was smoking one after another then left and I haven't even thought about smoking since then?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Great to have you back Carl! So sorry to hear of your loss :( I feel your pain mate, but as has been said fun and happy memories carry you through! It helps me and it does get easier to deal with in time! Chin up mate and be strong for your good friend! Take care :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Hello Carl, Really sorry for your loss,
macdee

Post by macdee »

Sorry for your loss Carl
Your mate looked real cool in the photo ( shades and white shirt )
I think its one of the hardest things a person has to deal with in there life time
great move sending the money to charity

Sláinte
told you not to but oh no you knew better
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Sorry for your loss Carl and good to have you back.

Al.