Wheel preparation for powder coating?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
KermitLeFrog

Re: Wheel preparation for powder coating?

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Oops. Tony Mon was the man. Sorry Mac.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Going back to an earlier post. I had a chat with my PC people. They want the wheel completely bare and they will plug any screw holes and mask any bearing or mating surfaces.

I asked about the tyre bead seating area and they powder coat the inside of the wheel as well. Contrary to what Mac suggests I don't see this as a problem. The only problem I've seen with tubeless wheels is when this area get corroded and the tyre leaks. A nice smooth (even gloss) finish will give the tyre bead plenty of grip.

I HAVE had problems with tyres spinning on a wheel but that's with tubed tyres on offroad bikes running at 10psi or lower. We used to only use one rim lock (for those fabled 2 minute tyre changes). I used to take a cold chisel and burr the bead seat. Even that didn't always work so I finally went with Bib Mousse. No flats but they never felt the same as an air tubed tyre.
Thanks for getting back to us, and good man for finding out their opinion on the tyre bead area :thumbup:

Yes I remember having those rim locks in my off road bikes (trials and scramblers) :)

Chris.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I had the wheels on my last storm powder coated.

The guy was decent and told me himself about where he would not want powder coat.

He asked for the wheels...with tyres..but no bearings and they came back fantastic.

Thats just a personal experience.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Maldon powdercoaters masked up my bare wheels for me after I stripped the tyres, valves, bearings and weights.

They coat the inner rim (under the tyre) just the same as the outer wheel & it has been fine after a years abuse.

No stone chips or scratches so far and I haven't been worried about keeping them safe from such nasties.

I think it really pays to use a reputable company and be prepared to pay a fair price for guaranteed quality.

They did my wheels, frame, subframe, dash/fairing bracket, clipons, bar ends, swingarm, etc and all of still looks new after spilling petrol on it, dragging a chain through the wheel and other clumsy things!
Jamie :wave:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Jamie :wave:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

doesn't look like that now jamoi, it's been stripped down and it's been proper molested, oh no wait, that's not your bike that's your mum.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

+1 on Maldon. Very good service and product. They have done 3 sets of wheels, VTR swing arm twice, loads of bits on my GT250 & FS1E and always been on time and at a reasonable price.
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

agentpineapple wrote:doesn't look like that now jamoi, it's been stripped down and it's been proper molested, oh no wait, that's not your bike that's your mum.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
yourealise Marty in ten years you will be old, Jamoi will still be young and kick your butt all over London :lol: i will watch that from my zimmerframe
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!