Wont pull over 4k revs. Ran out of ideas!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
dave p

Re: Wont pull over 4k revs. Ran out of ideas!

Post by dave p »

Thanks for the replies, im not 100% sure why it was parked up most probably because of this issue, it seems to drop onto 1 cylinder or maybe fuel starvation to both, it doesnt bog down just sort of holds there and wont rev thru, ive checked the cv's all seems ok.going to try some bigger jets and see what happens if theres no change then its got to be electrical i would think. The air filter is stock and as new
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

it seems to drop onto 1 cylinder or maybe fuel starvation to both
Double check fuel tap diaphragm - and replace.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, if you're going to ignore the advice given and faff about with jets, go ahead.

I can't see how changing jets would fix the cam timing, though :lol:

What sort of jetting would you have in order for it to run to 4 and then stop? And if someone changed to that weird set of jets, wouldn't they have thought- no, this is crap, I'll put the proper ones back in again?

Just time the bloody thing properly, or put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and get on with riding it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:Well, if you're going to ignore the advice given and faff about with jets, go ahead.

I can't see how changing jets would fix the cam timing, though :lol:

What sort of jetting would you have in order for it to run to 4 and then stop? And if someone changed to that weird set of jets, wouldn't they have thought- no, this is crap, I'll put the proper ones back in again?

Just time the bloody thing properly, or put it in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing and get on with riding it.
+1 Sir! Timing, timing, timing, timing! Get the idea :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
dave p

Post by dave p »

Im not ignoring the advice.far from it, i came on here for ideas and ill try them all and hopefully fix it.thanks :thumbup:
dave p

Post by dave p »

Checked the timing and valve clearences all spot on, cleaned carbs out again and tried third set of plugs, took it out and it runs spot on to 4000 revs then dies or goes onto one cylinder which is hard to tell when your riding it.if you rev it hard at a standstill it starts to die at higher revs.im out of ideas. Ive done everything i can think of bar swapping parts over etc.Is there anybody who lives near warrington with any spares i could try? I.e cdi etc?or anyone with any ideas/good at fixing them? I really want to fix and use it instead of giving up on it. Cheers
Last edited by dave p on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

When you say checked the timing and is spot on. Did you remove the cams turn the crank back around to RT and refit them as things will visually look the same. No point simply looking at the timing marks.

Set the rear cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke so cam lobes pointing up and in and remove the cam caps and cams. Holding the chain so it don't slip down inside the cam tunnel or get caught up around the crank, turn the crank 1 complete turn anti clockwise until RT comes around again and refit the cams as before. You will most likely wont a helper to hold the cam chain for you and feed it around as you turn it over at the crank.
==============================Enter the Darkside
dave p

Post by dave p »

I didnt do that tbh.ill try it next.thanks for the info :thumbup:
dave p

Post by dave p »

Just wondering has anyone got any cdi boxes i could try beforehand just to help me eliminate them? Thanks
dave p

Post by dave p »

Sorted it now.thanks for everyones help. :thumbup: :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Don't leave us in suspense..what was it then? 180 out or not.

Good to hear you got it sorted :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
dave p

Post by dave p »

Sorry carl, i took the carbs off again cleaned them out for the 3rd time, i felt like it needed more fuel so i fitted a washer to the needles and 190 main jets, i didnt expect it to work to be honest and was going to do the cams next but i took it out and it pulled like a train to the red line.completely cured. In fact after owning several rsv's and tl's i cant believe how hard it pulls. It ticks over fine and runs really clean up and down the rev range. It was off the road for 6 years i found out when i mot'd it, well its not now!!.thanks for your help :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

dave p wrote:Sorry carl, i took the carbs off again cleaned them out for the 3rd time, i felt like it needed more fuel so i fitted a washer to the needles and 190 main jets, i didnt expect it to work to be honest and was going to do the cams next but i took it out and it pulled like a train to the red line.completely cured. In fact after owning several rsv's and tl's i cant believe how hard it pulls. It ticks over fine and runs really clean up and down the rev range. It was off the road for 6 years i found out when i mot'd it, well its not now!!.thanks for your help :thumbup:
Good to know what cured the problem, I'm glad you got there eventually, well done :clap:

Chris.
dave p

Post by dave p »

Thanks chris :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Bet your Glad you stuck at the carb cleaning :thumbup:
AMcQ