New Firestorm Owner

General Biker Banter
VTR_Andy

Post by VTR_Andy »

So, the good news is that I have picked the bike up.
Bad news is that it's not running too well :(

The said they changed the CCT and 2 new valves.
However the bike doesn't feel right and has lost lots of power and big flat spots over 6k rpm.

As I didn't want it off the road for another 4 weeks, I decided to check the cam timing and also compression test, both checked out fine.

Other than taking it back *again*, any ideas? I thought maybe they didn't rebalance the carbs but it could be that they didn't reshim the cams....

hmmm...
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

How does it run below 6k?
Rich.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR_Andy wrote:So, the good news is that I have picked the bike up.
Bad news is that it's not running too well :(

The said they changed the CCT and 2 new valves.
However the bike doesn't feel right and has lost lots of power and big flat spots over 6k rpm.

As I didn't want it off the road for another 4 weeks, I decided to check the cam timing and also compression test, both checked out fine.

Other than taking it back *again*, any ideas? I thought maybe they didn't rebalance the carbs but it could be that they didn't reshim the cams....

hmmm...
Andy,
When you checked the valve timing did you check that the rear cylinder is timed in conjunction with the front, basically when you lined up the rear cylinder timing marks did you then turn the engine over 450 degrees (one and a quarter turns) anti-clockwise to check the front cylinder timing marks :?:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Does sound as if they may have got the cam timimg a tooth out especially if the CCT had backed off enough to allow a valve/piston 'kiss'. Can't believe they'd even consider the CCT a 'consumable'. Think I might be considering invoking the sale of goods act if this isn't sorted soon etc as in not fit for purpose. Don't like playing the heavy hand but always a good back-up. Also, the other CCT is probably been lefyt and that has done the same amount of engine time as the other although the front one sat in the middle of the cylinders gets hottest and nil lubrication etc.

Just thinking, the way it's going they will have had the machine a lot longer than you will have since you bought it!!!!!!!!
Good luck!!!! :wink:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
VTR_Andy

Post by VTR_Andy »

Yeah it runs "better" below 6k, still not 100% but doesn't seem to have any flat spots. I only did 56 miles before it died, but it used to pull my arms off and now it doesn't feel the same 8O

When I checked the timing, I did the rear first, and then checked the front but wouldn't swear to 1 1/4 turns - just looked for the next mark on the crank.

The reason I thought it was cam timing is because it had similar symptoms to when I did the head on my mk1 MR2 recently and got the exhaust cam out by one tooth.

This is the 4th night in my garage, the shop had it for 4 weeks :evil:

I guess i'll call them tomorrow unless you think I didn't check the timing correctly and it's worth another look?
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

I wouldn't do anything to it otherwise the garage may say that you have caused problems. They have to warrant their work and you should get them to fix it. You could try stipulating that you want it back within 7 days or whatever before taking "further action" then go and see the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Sounds like mine the other year - the Honda dealer who I took it to second (should have gone there first) spotted the timing was out by one tooth, hence the problems exactly as you describe.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR_Andy wrote:
When I checked the timing, I did the rear first, and then checked the front but wouldn't swear to 1 1/4 turns - just looked for the next mark on the crank.
The reason I asked that question is one member on here had a garage fit a new CCT and they just lined up the marks for that cylinder and fitted the new CCT, they had not made sure that the cylinder they were working on was timed in conjunction with the other one :!:

I personally think as has already been said, the garage should be sorting your problem out, but seeing as you already had checked the valve timing yourself thought it worth mentioning :!:

Chris.
VTR_Andy

Post by VTR_Andy »

Ok, thanks for the replies and hints.

I spent a while reading old posts and found this one:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=30

It described my symptoms exactly....

So I used Sirch's sticky guide and rechecked the timing (turning crank 450 degrees being the key).

It confirmed that the cam timing was 180 degrees out on the front.

Crap phone pic, you can probably see the FE and FI marks pointing inwards:
http://www.blueshields.co.uk/08052007296.jpg

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, and I will hopefully reset the timing over the next day or so and finally get to enjoy the storm next weekend :)