what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
Duffy1964

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by Duffy1964 »

Looks like your bike really had been neglected Carlos, but the work you are doing is a vast improvement matey :thumbup:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My bike has been neglected and slowly going downhill since the day that cab door opened on me. Then there is the British weather that takes it's toll and the bike lives outside. I have the time and motivation to do something about it now. I'm going to start using a rain cover too once it's back to a reasonably nice standard, especially once I have sprayed all the bodywork which wont be for a while yet. I'm not going to ride around like bloody lunatic either (he say's :roll: ) I shall have learn some patience when riding through London traffic. A lot of bad habits to get rid off but then London is like a battleground.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

I'm sure you will get it back to its former glory or better soon Carlos :thumbup:

Sorry but I don't believe the bit about not riding like a lunatic though, maybe for a day or two :lol: :lol: :lol:
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Got some more polishing done but rain has put a stop to things now. :(

I'm finding the soft Ally harder to rub down than the headers and having to go in dry with the wet n dry. Lubricant doesn't seem to help. It's taking some serious elbow grease.
Good job Carl with the headers and the work done so far on the cans :clap:

I'm amazed the alloy can spouts turned out to be harder to rub down than the headers, most likely the headers being stainless steel helped in not allowing them to get quite so bad as the alloy has, salt eats aluminum for breakfast :problem: :)

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

that end can came up really well, for the sake of a £15 bike cover and some acf50 or wd40, you can save yourself a lot of hard work.... :thumbup:
also, i'd be tempted to lacquer those carbon cans.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

agentpineapple wrote::thumbup:
also, i'd be tempted to lacquer those carbon cans.
Carl, I'd be tempted to let him........*

*I originally typed succumb, but I didn't want Lloydie to have a heart attack
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

spent 4 hrs cleaning it and fixing some wiring issues, sorted my charger leads, tidied up the heated grips and re wired the sat nav cable. adjust up the shock. cleaned the panniers. Headers are in need of some serious TLC. oh and removed the baffles from the carbon Quills.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i'd be tempted to lacquer those carbon cans.
The whole exhaust system is going to get a coat of the following.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380919544966? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'd highly recommend a quick look at the reviews on Amazon first Carl :thumbup:

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-SP115-FlameP ... geNumber=3
Disappears like butter in the heat, even if instructions ARE carefully followed By Paul Sheer on February 2, 2016
Color: Flat Yellow Verified Purchase
I followed the instructions meticulously. The exhaust was first sandblasted, then several coats applied, then cured through all the temps in an oven as explained in the instructions.

At first it looked good, but after a few months it has all just crumbled off in tiny flakes.
They aren't all poor but it makes you think twice after all the work you've done :thumbup:

The bike will be as good as new in a few weeks if you keep up this renovation pace, look out Hawk :lol: :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mmmm I hate online reviews as they usually concentrate on the negatives. :( The problem is that there is not much else on the market. I shall have to have another hunt around to see if there are any alternatives. Even if it blisters up that has to be better than going all rusty again and easier to clean up and start again.

Finished the other can, peppered and rubbed down the swingarm. Polished the ends where the chain adjusters go, not perfect but it will do. I'm getting fed up with all this wet n drying and autosol. I also rubbed down and polished the eye ends of the shock. Gave both the ends of the swingarm and shock a couple of coats of petrol resistant lacquer. Oh and I filled a couple of stone chips in the my petrol tank, the graze in the clutch cover and a chip in the top of the frame. All ready for some paint tomorrow. I'm hoping what I have left of the epoxy resin from before hasn't gone off. Got to mix it with Xylene thinners and only have about 200ml of that left. I'm hoping to get all the Black done in one go. I shall have to work quick as there is only about 30 mins open time with this stuff before it goes hard.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

not today but yesterday spent the day doing what should be done at a track day :clap: :clap: :clap:

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Virt

Post by Virt »

Gave the bike its first clean and polish since I binned it, looks mighty fine I have to say!

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
Demonic69

Post by Demonic69 »

Today I put lipstick on the pig...
Fitted new cans and a hugger. Tarted up the hugger bracket with some silver Hammerite after a jolly good sanding.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Took the Yam in for an MOT today. I hadn't ridden it since coming back from Germany in April. I'd forgotten what a screaming hoot it was. MOT took all of 3 minutes but you have to wait a specified amount of time. Then a "test" ride and nearly forgot to go home. It's the nearest thing to the two strokes of my yoof. Except it revs higher (red line at 15500) and is a LOT more powerful. And, it's yellow fast! You can ride it below 8k but it becomes interesting at 10k (100mph in 5th). One of these days I might find somewhere to rev it out in all 6 gears....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Virt

Post by Virt »

Lifted it up some huge steps into the garden, friends might not be in the best mood with me after that ordeal.. after being cleaned it's decided it doesn't want to start and I've checked all the exposed connections etc. It can be tomorrows problem...

It couldn't be angry that it's been polished, could it? :lol:

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement