dyno run today!!!!!!!

General Biker Banter
lloydie

Re: dyno run today!!!!!!!

Post by lloydie »

tony.mon wrote:Mixture isn't awful, as you say, lean near top end but not unexpected with cans and a filter.

Take the printouts to Tony at HM and he'll sort you out, probably in one jet/carb change and one run, the sod.
The scales on your chart are quite fine, exaggerating the differences in stoichiometric ratio.

Here's an old one of mine for reference:
(The address on the top is HM's old address, by the way; they're at Edenbridge now).
have you got the most recent one tony ?
i just want to be noisy to see what yours is doing :roll:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It'll be in my Engine Rebuild thread somewhere- I haven't had one done for a while now, funds running low, so mods have to wait.
I think it was running about 116 or 117, but I've done a fair few mods since then, mostly airbox and breathing, so it really needs rejetting again.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

tonys bike felt bloody strong when i rode it....... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think it's lean at the top because we ended up putting the smaller OM (Kehin)mains back in. The mixture could be better as It was not done my ear, it was just a guess so only approximate. It might be a good idea to put the Dynojet 180's in. I think we had it set at 190 rear and 180 front before. I'm thinking the two 180's may be better as there are no .5's in the UK kit.

Am I right in saying the bigger the mains the more fuel or does a bigger main push more air through? Iv'e got confused from old post I found here somewhere
The larger the size of the main air jet, the more air you get and less fuel. The smaller the main air jet, the more fuel you get and less air. Dynojet alters this only to achieve the flattest possible fuel delivery curve.
but I have a feeling this is generic and pulled from the web and is possibly referring to a different bike/carb set up. Maybe a carb with an air mixture screw on the airbox side rather than a fuel mixture screw as the storm has.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tony's bike is different kettle of fish.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

cybercarl wrote:I think it's lean at the top because we ended up putting the smaller OM (Kehin)mains back in. The mixture could be better as It was not done my ear, it was just a guess so only approximate. It might be a good idea to put the Dynojet 180's in. I think we had it set at 190 rear and 180 front before. I'm thinking the two 180's may be better as there are no .5's in the UK kit.

Am I right in saying the bigger the mains the more fuel or does a bigger main push more air through? Iv'e got confused from old post I found here somewhere
The larger the size of the main air jet, the more air you get and less fuel. The smaller the main air jet, the more fuel you get and less air. Dynojet alters this only to achieve the flattest possible fuel delivery curve.
but I have a feeling this is generic and pulled from the web and is possibly referring to a different bike/carb set up. Maybe a carb with an air mixture screw on the airbox side rather than a fuel mixture screw as the storm has.

you can get 185 mains from dynojet as i had some of them last month and now they are fitted .
its a fuel jet .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

have you got any contact details for dynojet lloydie and how much did they cost? oh and did you use them on the front and back?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Image :fart1:

:lol: :lol:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigspanishmarty wrote:have you got any contact details for dynojet lloydie and how much did they cost? oh and did you use them on the front and back?
i used 185 front and back mains
dynojet uk 01995600500

DJ STYLE MAIN JET
150-200 in increments of 5, and size 210. £1.97 each
http://www.dynojet.co.uk/index.php/jet- ... ement-kits

48s pilots jets - david silvers 99103KAE0480
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/part ... ber_15144/
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Careful.
You're mixing up dynojet sizes and Kehin sizes- they're different.......
I'd suggest sticking to only DJ or only anyone else's to avoid confusion.

Otherwise, you take out one marked 180, put in one marked 185 and it runs leaner- :confused
But one's dj and the other ones in normal sizing.

Apples and oranges.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

This is one of the problems with BSM's at the mo. It's been prettty much put back to how it was before our tinkering. When we first stripped the carbs down it was a mis-mash. Kehin jets and a dynojet needle. :roll: The UK dyno kit supply a set of 170's, 180's and 190's unlike the US kit which IIRC supply the same plus the .5 scales in between them. They also supply new springs in the US kit but not UK which is weird as the so called holes that are supposed to improve things work in conjunction with the new springs. This is probably why the extra holes don't work in the UK.

IMO the whole jet kit business is a big con, the only benefit of the FP kit is the titanium needles, rest of it can be picked up cheaper from jets r us or equivalent. So they are as bad as dynojet. In hindsight if I was tuning my carbs now, I would just do as Hawk on the superhawk site says and shim the originals and just buy the required jets from elsewhere.

Styler4077

Re: dyno run tomorrow

Post by Styler4077 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Lean but then goes very rich at the top end. Power curve is not happy above 7000
That's because it very lean at all times and runs way way out at top revs. Not even seen a Beemer run more that 15.5:1 and that's when you have settled it down in top at say 70mph and the ECU chats away to the FS in the exhaust to get to a minimum knock AF setting.
BSM bike only get near the optimum AF ratio at 3000 and 6000 rpm. Even then its lean
Think you would do a piston in running 16:1 AF ratio.

Now the question is if Tony though it pulled and ran OK could there be another reason?
I've seen this on my dyno when the AF meter's tube came partly out of the exhaust and then it gives a lean reading.
But that would only answer the AF question not the appalling chart over 6000 rpm. I'd suggest having a good look at the make and sizes of your jets Marty, cause if the AF reading is true then your short on fuel.

My two pence worth.

Stephen
"Only one life, so live it and ride a motorcycle"
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I only rode it a couple of miles, mostly to feel what difference the lightened flywheel made.
And mine makes more power than standard, and so (sorry, not showing off, just a statement of fact) standard ones feel flat anyway.

The best comparison I can make is that mine pulls like a standard one does but in a gear higher.

So I wasn't trying to ride Marty's to see what power it was making, just the flywheel and qa throttle mods, really.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

i wouldn't mind having a go on your vtr tony to see how much difference the pistons and cam make .
at the next forum meet up 8)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydiecbr wrote:i wouldn't mind having a go on your vtr tony to see how much difference the pistons and cam make .
at the next forum meet up 8)
i can say from first hand experience that tonys bike is very strong throughout the rev range, its also set up very well with neutral handling, it might look like an unwashed yellow/grey freak of a bike :lol:
but don't ever under estimate it, because if you ride a firestorm, you'll only ever see the rear of it :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!