Camchain Tensioner Scary Stories

General Bike chat
MacV2

Re: Camchain Tensioner Scary Stories

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:Good advice Mac. :thumbup: and your reasoning for manuals being better (correct me if I'm wrong) is that once manuals are fitted properly, you are done and dusted with them as they will not fail or need any attention ie adjustment for 20,000, or more than likely your next valve clearance check. Where as with the stopper mod, they can still fail but wont cause any damage and will need replacing again.

Fitted properly is why I am coming around to the idea of the stopper mod. Can you imagine the problems the likes of mr image (no offence meant) will have setting the tension correctly with all this talk of finger tight, if asking questions like this.
Ref the ebay link, is that the actual stopper bar itself or a tool for adjustment?
:eek2

(:-})
Sort of...stoper mod can still fail & what I don't get is what happens when they do & how do know they have?

If it's just a straight replacement then they can break as well & I assume again & again.

Fit manuals once & job done may be a bit of adjustment now & then. If IIRC Bazza told me he has never had to adjust his since fitting.

The argument about mechanical proficiency is a bit on the weak side IMO as you still have to do almost all the strip down work weather its stopper or manuals, but with stopper you add the complexity of the added engineering & getting that correct as well ! With manuals lock off,remove, measure, set & replace.

However after saying all that whilst I did my own manuals under supervision & piss taking from Tony & Bazza & have watched Tony do a stopper mod conversion on Mervs bike, I may or may not be the most qualified mechanically to make the assumptions.

That is real reason for the advice to get a fellow forum member to help. Remember there have been a few owners who have entrusted a ''mechanic'' to do the work & they have cocked it up re the timing.

Make you right about the :eek2
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

stoper mod can still fail & what I don't get is what happens when they do & how do know they have?
I've never heard one that's failed but apparently you can hear the noise of the loose chain. It not so loose that it's going to slip (hence the stopper) and cause damage. And it's still OK to get you back home. The problem then is is the expense of new autos and having to fit a stopper again. which cost a hell of a lot more than the manuals.
The argument about mechanical proficiency is a bit on the weak side IMO as you still have to do almost all the strip down work weather its stopper or manuals
You don't have to remove the front Cam cover which is a lot more involved to fit a stopper. Yes you can fit the front manuals cct without removing the cover, but that is relying on feel and IMO not that accurate and can cause problems with 1 the tension and 2 not being able to double check the timing from the position of the cams. Saying that though with 2 it's probably best for those who are unsure of what they are doing to remove the cover and double check the timing with the stopper.

==============================Enter the Darkside
chemomche

Post by chemomche »

cybercarl wrote:
so you had manuals fail?
No he bought new auto's and converted them to manuals (like Bazza's) but hadn't fitted them. Buying new ones for that don't make sense to me but hey ho.

Nope, i got use OEMs from ebay and converted them to manual, but the the frnt cct failed before i installed them.
And just something else - the front CCT spring did not broke, the cct was looking good when i removed it, however the cam chain had jumped some teeth and the inlet valves were bent. I got luck they were just the inlets and no valve guides or even the piston, because sh#t happens.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I misunderstood your post then :oops:
the front CCT spring did not broke, the cct was looking good when i removed it, however the cam chain had jumped some teeth
I would have thought it was a weak spring that had stretched.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Took mine out tonight for the first time after doing the stopper mod to pick up a parcel.

All good :thumbup:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
'12 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V SE Tenni.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Rob wrote:Took mine out tonight for the first time after doing the stopper mod to pick up a parcel.

All good :thumbup:
pleased for you :thumbup: i still would have gone for manuals though :lol:

back to hijacking the thread what was the other bike in your garage with two different sized exhausts ??
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Moto Guzzi Griso.

Watch the review, 3rd post down. I like it, a lot :lol:

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26249
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

oh yes you did say you had one. very nice. i never noticed the odd sized exhausts before

:beer:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Rob

Post by Rob »

cybercarl wrote:I misunderstood your post then :oops:
the front CCT spring did not broke, the cct was looking good when i removed it, however the cam chain had jumped some teeth
I would have thought it was a weak spring that had stretched.

I've never seen a photo of a failed CCT. What normally fails? The spring coil or the tags on the end of the spring?
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
Rob

Post by Rob »

lumpyv wrote:oh yes you did say you had one. very nice. i never noticed the odd sized exhausts before

:beer:
The 1100 has a similiar looking exhaust but only the large one. The later 1200 has the odd sized ones.

Some people like it, some don't. I do unfortunately so even though I would like a termignoni or mistral as they sound far better I prefer the looks of the standard can. It's pretty fruity anyway - the Italians like a bit of noise :lol:
'02 VTR1000-FY Yellow.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I've never seen a photo of a failed CCT. What normally fails? The spring coil or the tags on the end of the spring?
TBH I am not exactly sure what fails but it is the spring that's the weak point. So I guess it could either stretch over time or wear out/rust from lack of lubricant and snap. The rear one because of the angle gets a bit of oil to it but the front gets a lot less if at all, hence the reason the front is the most common one to fail.

I'm glad you have taken some preventative measures now. The stopper is such a simple solution that I don't understand how Honda could not have thought of it. The mind boggles.

chemomche

Post by chemomche »

cybercarl wrote:
The stopper is such a simple solution that I don't understand how Honda could not have thought of it. The mind boggles.

or just made it like this one

you see there are some teeth on the plunger and a piece of metal that allows it just to go one direction and not backing off
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Interesting with the ratchet CCT but delving deeper shows that Honda use ratcheting CCTs in cars and still have problems with them...

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/tech ... ewall.html
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

(:-})[/quote]

I've never seen a photo of a failed CCT. What normally fails? The spring coil or the tags on the end of the spring?[/quote]

From all the cct's I have converted the spring fails about 1 turn down from the top of the spring at the end furthest away from the plunger. When you look closely at it does not snap, it shears because either the spring has not been heat treated properly during manufacture or the outside of the spring gets hotter than the inside of the spring.

It looks strange the cross section of the shear is square zig zag.

I have taken one apart that the spring was completely rotten and siezed the cct solid, so you could say a self stopper modded cct.