Urm, greetings.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
lloydie

Re: Urm, greetings.

Post by lloydie »

have a good read through the workshop knowledge base and its sticky section .
as its better to know every thing about the vtr before you get one that way you know what your letting yourself in for .

mine has 70k on the clock and is ok so don't be put off from i higher mileage bike if its in the right condition and price
Virt

Post by Virt »

This is true, it also depends if I get it from a dealer or private seller. I'll be more likely to purchase an older/well travelled bike from them than a random stranger who assures me it's in good condition. And yeah, I'm doing that now.. It's better than writing essays for A Levels, that much I can guarantee :D
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

main dealer and private seller want your money and both will rip you off if they can .
so learn as much as you can about the vtr and take someone who's knows them with you .
also a good test ride will show any defects that a static inspection will hide .
Last edited by lloydie on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virt

Post by Virt »

Don't know anyone who knows much about them, I'll probably go with my dad as he has a greater wider knowledge of bikes and he can test ride it for me. All up to me to learn then :P
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virt wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:the best thing about the vtr is that its the cheapest 1000cc sports bike to insure .
have you had a quote yet as you might get a nice surprise :!:
£550 fully comp, at 18 with 1 years no claims.. That's not half bad :P Considering my CB600F would cost about £650
£550 thats good . for a young chap on a new licence :clap:
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydiecbr wrote:
Virt wrote:
lloydiecbr wrote:the best thing about the vtr is that its the cheapest 1000cc sports bike to insure .
have you had a quote yet as you might get a nice surprise :!:
£550 fully comp, at 18 with 1 years no claims.. That's not half bad :P Considering my CB600F would cost about £650
£550 thats good . for a young chap on a new licence :clap:

Don't worry, I'm sensible. Not gonna crash into anything from power surges :P My logic is that because it's cheap to insure it's not to difficult to tame, and if it is I'll just do basic manouevres and stuff in car parks.. That's how I got used to my 600 after using 125's :)
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Virt wrote: Don't worry, I'm sensible. Not gonna crash into anything from power surges :P My logic is that because it's cheap to insure it's not to difficult to tame, and if it is I'll just do basic manouevres and stuff in car parks.. That's how I got used to my 600 after using 125's :)
hmm could be? could be cause they are favoured by a lot of us "in the know" old farts
if you wait long enough you can get fully comp for about 90 quid :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Virt

Post by Virt »

lumpyv wrote:
Virt wrote: Don't worry, I'm sensible. Not gonna crash into anything from power surges :P My logic is that because it's cheap to insure it's not to difficult to tame, and if it is I'll just do basic manouevres and stuff in car parks.. That's how I got used to my 600 after using 125's :)
hmm could be? could be cause they are favoured by a lot of us "in the know" old farts
if you wait long enough you can get fully comp for about 90 quid :thumbup:
Could be that too, could be many things :P Yeah.. Gonna be waiting a fair while for that :/
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

the biggest thing that you will have to get used to is the engine braking .
you will hit your nuts on the tank to begin with lol
as it will slow down off the throttle alot faster than the 600 .
i went from a 900 fireblade to the firestorm and i was walking like john wayne for a week :oops: .
the only down side to the vtr is the small tank you will only get 100 miles till the fuel light comes on and you will have about 20 mile after that then you will be pushing it to the petrol station :oops: .

with the vtr around town you wont pull over 3rd gear as it wont be needed .
and if you open it up in first the front wheel will come up fast .
its a big bike for a newish rider but take your time with it when you get one and you will love it , but as its a twin you will have to give your self time to adjust to it and lean it otherwise you will hate it ,
Virt

Post by Virt »

My engine braking is actually quite strong for some reason :S Probably the more painful aspect of my commuting on it, rather than the people of rugby not noticing me and causing me to have to balance the bike on its' front wheel occasionally...
I only get 100 miles per tank as it is now anyway, before reserve at least, so that's not too big an issue either.

Yeah, I'm gonna be careful as hell with it. I've been in an accident before and didn't exactly enjoy it, generally trying to avoid them from now on :P
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virt wrote:My engine braking is actually quite strong for some reason :S Probably the more painful aspect of my commuting on it, rather than the people of rugby not noticing me and causing me to have to balance the bike on its' front wheel occasionally...
I only get 100 miles per tank as it is now anyway, before reserve at least, so that's not too big an issue either.

Yeah, I'm gonna be careful as hell with it. I've been in an accident before and didn't exactly enjoy it, generally trying to avoid them from now on :P
good plan , i no longer ride in winter or the rain as it hurts to much when i fall off :oops:
the vtr will have a lot more engine braking over the 600
Virt

Post by Virt »

lloydiecbr wrote:
Virt wrote:My engine braking is actually quite strong for some reason :S Probably the more painful aspect of my commuting on it, rather than the people of rugby not noticing me and causing me to have to balance the bike on its' front wheel occasionally...

good plan , i no longer ride in winter or the rain as it hurts to much when i fall off :oops:
the vtr will have a lot more engine braking over the 600
Yeah, the disadvantage of biking.. The only advantage is that it happens to everyone indiscriminately :)
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
playerone

Post by playerone »

Virt wrote:the people of rugby not noticing me and causing me to have to balance the bike on its' front wheel occasionally...
from tesco roundabout to the first set of lights you can almost hit 100 but you really need to have the back end skipping about to get it stopped lol
Virt

Post by Virt »

playerone wrote:
Virt wrote:the people of rugby not noticing me and causing me to have to balance the bike on its' front wheel occasionally...
from tesco roundabout to the first set of lights you can almost hit 100 but you really need to have the back end skipping about to get it stopped lol
I can't even hit 100 :O Restrictor cuts in at 95 :P