Bought my first 'storm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
firestorm1997

Re: Bought my first 'storm

Post by firestorm1997 »

:lol: ....No not :Gun3: or under the thumb, just have to keep her happy so when I say "I want" she don't argue... :beer:
firestorm1997

Post by firestorm1997 »

Hows the Bike Bacon, any good?
Gets some pics up...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Hows the Bike Bacon, any good?
Fried on cans. Or if you want grilled you have to use the cam cover :lol: :lol:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

firestorm1997 wrote:Hows the Bike Bacon, any good?
Gets some pics up...
Glad you asked - couple of points;

1) was all running fine (130 mile trip home) when opened it up on the final straight in second and it slipped out of gear. Will be changing the oil and looking the clutch cable before I ride it again. Hopefully is nothing serious :eek2

2) The service history says that the CCT was replaced a couple of years ago. Take it that it will need replacing again at some point?

Other than that, I freeking loved it. So stable and smooth compared to the SV and feck me has it got some grunt!

I'll get some pics up soon... once it's been cleaned!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Bacon wrote:
Gets some pics up...

1) was all running fine (130 mile trip home) when opened it up on the final straight in second and it slipped out of gear. Will be changing the oil and looking the clutch cable before I ride it again. Hopefully is nothing serious :eek2

2) The service history says that the CCT was replaced a couple of years ago. Take it that it will need replacing again at some point?

Other than that, I freeking loved it. So stable and smooth compared to the SV and feck me has it got some grunt!

Glad you like the Storm mate, but the clutch is hydraulic not cable. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Bacon

Post by Bacon »

Kev L wrote:
Bacon wrote:
Gets some pics up...

Glad you like the Storm mate, but the clutch is hydraulic not cable. :thumbup:
Doh!! Needless to say, I will be buying the Haynes manual tomorrow.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

What did the CCTs look like? Original Honda or the aftermarket manual 'bolt' kind.

Jumping out of gear could be a problem. Milage? Was it a private sale or from a dealer with a warranty?

Tomorrow If you want I can pop the A12 up to meet you and look over the bike - pm me
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good start but don't rely on it completely, particularly around the CCT replacement section, as the explanation is confused. Use the instructions in the workshop section which is much better. It's also worth looking at the Honda workshop manual PDF in the workshop section. I printed it off for reference purposes ( didn't pay the printing costs though :shh: ).
Good luck. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Miztaziggy wrote:Welcome mate.

Where are you from?

Someone local might be able to come with you to inspect it, it's always a lot easier if you know the bike and know what to look for.

Main things will be, as others have said, engine rattle from failed CCTs and damage to the frame.
it will do more than rattle if the ccts have failed. I would,nt worry too much if it has oem ones or not. if they are working they are working it just means you got to spend about £40 to change them yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. it would be a priority though
hope you like it ? they are great bikes.
how much is a 40k example off of ebay ???
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

lumpyv wrote: it will do more than rattle if the ccts have failed. I would,nt worry too much if it has oem ones or not. if they are working they are working it just means you got to spend about £40 to change them yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. it would be a priority though
Well, CCT failure doesn't always equal total engine failure, I thought that some have been lucky had it slip only a couple of links.

Anyway, Bacon, your priority really should be to change the standard ones for manuals ASAP. If you don't and the OEM ones go and knacker you engine, you will wish you had.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Anyway, Bacon, your priority really should be to change the standard ones for manuals ASAP. If you don't and the OEM ones go and knacker you engine, you will wish you had
Either that or at least do a stopper mod. So when the original fails it does not cause any damage.

Some links regarding the Cam Chain Tensioners (CCT's)

You can either go for the stop mod http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=19416
Which is the Honda auto CCT's that are converted to a fail safe. So when it does fail, it don't send the valves crashing.

Or

You go for the full manual conversion, your options are here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16&t=22720

Then with regards to fitting View Topic
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Miztaziggy wrote:
lumpyv wrote: it will do more than rattle if the ccts have failed. I would,nt worry too much if it has oem ones or not. if they are working they are working it just means you got to spend about £40 to change them yourself or pay someone else to do it for you. it would be a priority though
Well, CCT failure doesn't always equal total engine failure, I thought that some have been lucky had it slip only a couple of links.

Anyway, Bacon, your priority really should be to change the standard ones for manuals ASAP. If you don't and the OEM ones go and knacker you engine, you will wish you had.
your right really , mine failed whilst the bike was stationary and did no damage to the head / valves at all. there is no way I would have ridden it in that condition though it made a noise like a steel bucket full of nuts and bolts being shaken a lot :(
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Hi Bacon
It did that when i had it i put it down to an previous owner could do wheels on it(I COULDN'T). You're got K-Tech front springs ebc disc and pads hh castrol power1 oil change every year reguardlist of millage normally 3/4000 tops milage was about 44000 when felic had it.
RIDE TO ENJOY
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

You are very welcome here m8tey.... as a reward when you've got your
Firestorm all gleaming and all running tickety boo ... get yerself down to you local real ale
pub in Witham and treat yourself to the wonderfull real ales available in the town.
I see that there are over a dozen of em and you could try em out one by one slowly .. of course
its a plan ... leave your Honda at 'ome though ...
:beer: :thumbup:
Alb