CCT Lock - Advice on making needed

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: CCT Lock - Advice on making needed

Post by sirch345 »

StewartR wrote:Happy I could do it without locking but it just seems a shedload easier.
IMO you're doing the sensible thing. It would be different if you had the experience of doing this mod plenty of times, I'm sure Tony could almost do it with one eye shut :)
Also removing the rear CCT there is not a lot of room there to work, as you'll find out when you do yours.

What would concern me for anyone carrying out the Stopper Mod and not using a locking key is, it would only take a slip with the screwdriver without realising it, or a mis-measure and you could end up making the stopper itself to long without you even knowing it. That could cause internal damage to your engine, as a stopper being to long would put more tension on the camchain. At least if you follow the instructions in The Workshop Knowledge base, secure the locking key in place with tape so it can't jump out, it will be near impossible to make a stopper that is to long.

Good luck with the job,

Chris.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

AMCQ46 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:
adewhitmarsh wrote:I don't really need to advertise on here anyway, plenty off interest on ebay. :lol:
OK, bye then.

Not much missed, tbh

:wave:
Ade , if you only joined here to flog your CCTs then you are getting close to shooting your self in the foot... I don't think this forum is the right one for you :wave:
I have been viewing this forum for 18 months, only joined to find out some info.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

So kev l is a big Richard, that sounds about right,
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

adewhitmarsh wrote:So kev l is a big Richard, that sounds about right,
no he has a big Richard . you are acting like a big Richard :cry: no need for it and this aint no place for it so please behave and try to get along with others :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the group Ade, enjoy the advice and settle yourself right in. It's a good place to pick up info and general advice inhabited by really helpful and generous people with a common interest.
The reason the rules were put in place was due to some folk joining with a view to just sell items rather than join in with the forum, and on occasion these folk have been a little less than honest in their intentions.
Being a fairly democratic place the rule change was put to the vote and the decision of the majority applied, if I remember correctly that was within the last 18 months or so.
Maybe I jumped on your case fella, but I am very defensive of this resource and probably don't stand criticism of it well, particularly from someone who appears to have joined with the intention of doing exactly what the various rules have been put in place to stop. Build up a reputation by taking part in the discussions and banter, maybe discussing your conversions even, and the 50 post marker will come and go.
As for the sheltered life comment, far from it. If we ever meet I will willingly enlighten you.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ade,
1. have you actually got a Firestorm, or are you just trying to sell your cct's? I've had a look at your posts so far, and you don't appear to have posted a picture of your bike, or even if you ride one.

2. If you want to sell your cct's, fine, but please let me know what's different about your ones?

3. Are they better, or
4.improved in some way, compared to the ones made and available already, or
5. have you just copied someone else's design and sell them cheaper?

One thing to note is that due to the position of the coolant pipe on Firestorms, (which you'll be able to see for yourself if you have one) means that adjusting a short Ape style manual cct is difficult, because you can't get to the cct from the side.
Bazza's conversions, on the other hand stand proud of the pipe and can easily be adjusted with two 13mm ring spanners.

Could you enlighten me re the above?

I ask because I may well have fitted more sets of cct's to Firestorms than most; I've not kept count but do about one set every two or three weeks, so probably forty or fifty sets so far.
Plus five to my own engines....

So I have experience of all of the designs currently available, Ape, Kreiger, Bazza's conversions, The Pont, and a few others. How do yours compare?

However I'd point out that you've already fallen foul of the admins, and are likely to be banned the way you're going, so perhaps instead of trying to "sell" them to me you could just answer the questions above. Don't put a price, or contact details.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

I have had a vtr for 3 years,I have done various mods & changes which have improved the handling & reliability of my bike.I started with the rear suspension as it was squeaking,removed bearings & bushes & re greased them, with heat resistant grease,replaced front springs (hyperpro springs)changed head stock bearing with taper bearings, double bubble screen,to stop head buffing at 95 mph.set up carbs,cleaned & balanced. Replaced ctts to manual(I made these out off corrosion resistant parts,stainless steel ,aluminium etc.main adjusting thread is 120mm long)changed rectifier (finned type)changed indicators to smaller flexible ones,seat cowl fitted,changed to braided brake hoses.I also have a Honda CBF 1000 which I changed front & rear springs to hyper-pro,I use this bike for touring (Scotland,lsle of man,Belgium, Germany and Pyrenees. We are off to chimay this year for the 21st anniversary road racing event in July.I would put some pictures on form but haven't got my head round that yet.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

adewhitmarsh wrote:I have had a vtr for 3 years,I have done various mods & changes which have improved the handling & reliability of my bike.I started with the rear suspension as it was squeaking,removed bearings & bushes & re greased them, with heat resistant grease,replaced front springs (hyperpro springs)changed head stock bearing with taper bearings, double bubble screen,to stop head buffing at 95 mph.set up carbs,cleaned & balanced. Replaced ctts to manual(I made these out off corrosion resistant parts,stainless steel ,aluminium etc.main adjusting thread is 120mm long)changed rectifier (finned type)changed indicators to smaller flexible ones,seat cowl fitted,changed to braided brake hoses.I also have a Honda CBF 1000 which I changed front & rear springs to hyper-pro,I use this bike for touring (Scotland,lsle of man,Belgium, Germany and Pyrenees. We are off to chimay this year for the 21st anniversary road racing event in July.I would put some pictures on form but haven't got my head round that yet.
Sounds like you have a well sorted vtr :thumbup:
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Message for sgoaty (Can't PM yet): I've emailed the guy I bought from. If he has more to sell I'll post a link.
sgoaty

Post by sgoaty »

Thanks for that. Even a pic of one would be good ive got a few bits of thin plate in my garage i could maybe use to make one.

How are they supposed to work do you just remove the bolt then put the locking tool in the slot and refit the bolt so it pushes on the tool?
Thanks
Scott
StewartR

Post by StewartR »

Look here for a link to a PDF VTR manual - dimension are in there. There's also a link to the "How To" for the stopper mod.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 23&t=19054

The chap has got back and wont be listing single units again but might to a job lot.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »