"Whats in a Name "

General Biker Banter
popkat

Re: "Whats in a Name "

Post by popkat »

bigtwinthing wrote:
popkat wrote:mines simple too :confused

There's one bike I've had since I was 18, it's Suzuki KATana 750, a rare one, the only bike ever made with a flip up head light, affectionately know these days as a POPup.... from there you get PopKat.. If you don't know the bike google :wink:

The original one is no longer a 750, it very modified but currently not a running bike. But I do have another that is and is close to mint condition for 29 years old and I'll sell that one :wink:

Like that one, Bob, Malc etc! Sorry i missed the ride out! gutted great weather too eh!.
Shame you missed it Paul, you would've really enjoyed the weekend..
Next year :thumbup:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Well like Popkat I was named by my previous bike, a purple Suzuki RF900. That and the fact that I'm a little partial to chocolate, meant that the bike inevitably became named Cadbury, so for ease of failing memory I kept it as a user name and Gmail address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Mine is nothing to shout about either. Sirch is a anagram of chris, the 3 4 5 bit is from the "3 4 5 Rule" used for squaring something up in the building trade,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

i was kinda given my user name years ago when i was racing supermoto for maxxis tyres. who also happened to have a french rider called fiorstar . so when the boss man from maxxis seen me. i kinda have a habbit of going brown when the sun so much as comes out lol.. when he seen me he said ,jesus look at the irish version called fabiostar and it kinda stuck.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bigtwinthing

Re:

Post by bigtwinthing »

Cadbury64 wrote:Well like Popkat I was named by my previous bike, a purple Suzuki RF900. That and the fact that I'm a little partial to chocolate, meant that the bike inevitably became named Cadbury, so for ease of failing memory I kept it as a user name and Gmail address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RF 900 a great underrated bike. large butt end though but went very well.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:Mine is nothing to shout about either. Sirch is a anagram of chris, the 3 4 5 bit is from the "3 4 5 Rule" used for squaring something up in the building trade,

Chris.
i use that too all the time, made lots of sets of metal stairs in my time. Youngsters wont know what that is.
Virt

Post by Virt »

bigtwinthing wrote:
i use that too all the time, made lots of sets of metal stairs in my time. Youngsters wont know what that is.

With google you can know what anything is, it's basic trigonometry. Pythorags' theorem :lol:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Virt wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:

With google you can know what anything is, it's basic trigonometry. Pythorags' theorem :lol:

woooo get you yoofy. did you have to look though Virt?

Heres one for you then. What does this mean.

a slight incineration of the cranium, is of equal effectiveness as a slight spasmodic contraction of an optic to an equine quadruped devoid of its visionary capacity. Its a famous saying. thats a clue.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

a slight incineration of the cranium, is of equal effectiveness as a slight spasmodic contraction of an optic to an equine quadruped devoid of its visionary capacity.
A nods as good as a wink to a blind horse....
------------------------------------------------------------------------

My favourite sayings are: "it's all perpendicular to the horizontal". And for biking: "it's all in the angle of the dangle". (which I've had on many a number-plate slogan)

We also say when people can't be arsed doing a job...."There's nothing stopping you but the starting of it".

And for aluminium fasteners seizing in casings, the good old: "I'm afraid it's dissimilar metal corrosion Sir....."
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Mine is nothing to shout about either. Sirch is a anagram of chris, the 3 4 5 bit is from the "3 4 5 Rule" used for squaring something up in the building trade,

Chris.
True, a bit ole skool for some probably :lol: The best bit is it's simple and it works :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Yeah but does it work in metric ?

I have a feeling you Old'uns are still working in imperial...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:Yeah but does it work in metric ?

I have a feeling you Old'uns are still working in imperial...

:p why wouldn't it work in metric, just stick to millimeters :thumbup: Anyway Mac, you must have grown up with Imperial :wink: :lol:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

mac still works in hands and chains and bushels :lol:
AMcQ
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

I hate it when I go to buy stuff, like planks of wood, posts, lengths of rope etc. When I ask for stuff in feet and inches, some folk will stand there and glaze over.

And buying a bike helmet? It's either small, medium or large...which is no help to me. And neither is 56cm, 57, 58cm etc. I take anywhere from a 6/78 to 7/8, depending on the make.

Everything's in mms. Does nobody do imperial or "foot n inches" anymore?

I went to help a young guy who tried to be all cool hip and trendy, by buying a british bike to impress his mates, then askedme round to see why none of his sockets would fit....

Yup....you know what's coming.

He went and bought a socket set and spanner set from Argos. Then, set about trying to remove, force, then f*ck up the nuts on the bike. When I got there a lot of it was rounded off.

So, I whipped out my spanners (not a euphemism). "Yeah...and, I have spanners too". Really? So this being a 1/2 inch, and these being 7/16", 3/8", 9/12" etc, what the hell are you doing using metric? You need proper spanners. He too, like the young guy at the wood shop, just glazed over.

I walked away when he said "but MY sockets fitted...it must be the fact that the nuts are old and worn and a "bit loose" in the new socket set. I mean, this is a BRAND NEW set, so I'm gonna take it back and say it's cheap crap and doesn't fit stuff.....he ranted on: bloody Chinese, making cheap sh1te that doesn't fit sod all.......

There are some folk you just can't edjumacate. I fear the continuation of riding old bikes (no, not a euphemism for that 80 year old slapper down the road with the dayglo lipstick, who will "do things to you" for a fiver...) will be a rare thing in 30 years time, as the younger generation have no clue, and are losing interest fast, in "the old ways".

And I ain't that old y'know. :think:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Kermit? Seems obvious to me...
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... nd#p379240
Toodle pip,
Ian
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)