Whats cheered you up today...?

General Biker Banter
lloydie

Re: Whats cheered you up today...?

Post by lloydie »

AMCQ46 wrote:Jamie,
just reading your story has also made my day.

as a Dad who just took the last daughter off to Uni yesterday, it has a feeling of the end of parenthood, but your story is a great message that parents will always bee an inspiration for their kids.

Thank you for that
Thought you couldn't wait to boot her out lol .
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I was riding with about 20 other riders on the shop sponsored group ride last Sunday. We passed a house to our left and there was a kid, out in the pasture with a little Honda Z50 going round and round, kicking up dust and having a great time. It made me smile inside my helmet. Of all the riders passing that place, any number of them probably got their start the same way. I know i did.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Jamie that is so fantastic. I had the opportunity to work in the same company as my father. My dad is a great guy and while we didn't work in the same group I got to get to know him on a different level. My only regret is that we didn't actually work together.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good luck with your Dad Jamie. Life's too short to not take an opportunity like that.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
macdee

Post by macdee »

Kev L wrote:Good luck with your Dad Jamie. Life's too short to not take an opportunity like that.
DITTO
8)
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

With your skills with your hands I've seen wether model planes, bikes or plumbing you've a flexible mindset and ability to work through things by trial and error / inventiveness - you'll make a great team learning and creating with your Dad. Can't wait to see your projects.

Will we see the first mahogany modded Firestorm... :cool2 :D
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Big_Jim59 wrote:We passed a house and there was a kid with a little Honda Z50 going round and round, kicking up dust and having a great time. Of all the riders passing that place, any number of them probably got their start the same way. I know i did.
ME TOO - but not on a jap bike!

It was the Ex Post Office D1 Bantam (125cc) I mentioned earlier (in the workshop post)

My Father gave us an old engine as a Christmas present when I was 4, and my Brother was 6. My dad had already pulled it from the frame, stripped the engine, and put it back together VERY loosely. He then gave it to us as a present, and said we had to take it apart and put it together again (with a lot of his help of course!) It was a very oily jigsaw puzzle. I can't remember much of it, but remember afterwards, when he put the engine back into the bike, and we got to ride it round the field.

Many falling offs later, a broken bone and a hell-of-an-explanation to the local country doc. I was hooked!!!

That was my first riding experience, and I've been riding bikes ever since. In fields when a kid (Bantam, Honda C70 - C90, then CG125, then round a back road on a 250 Honda Super Dream at 12 years old. Then illegally riding 350 singles and 500s on back roads when I wasn't even 16. When I turned 16, the largest size you could legally ride in the UK, on the road, was lowered from 250cc to a 125cc limit. Still never stopped me, and I got caught a few times by the police riding 750s and a Yamaha XS1100 when I was 17. I only had a Provisional, and no road tax, no MOT (roadworthy certificate), and no insurance. And I didn't care. Even when they banned me, I still bought another 750, and rode that. Until I got caught again.

MEGA happy days! :lol: :thumbup:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

that's great news Jamie, i'm really happy for you buddy, that makes 4 reasons for coming back to blighty.
1.... to work with your old man
2....to fall back in love with your vtr
3....mummy is missing you(she told me herself)
4....so you can get back to all the op-storms in the very near future
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:MEGA happy days! :lol: :thumbup:
I live in rural Texas. It's flat and dry. We have about 18 acres of scrub woods, thorns, drainage and about 11 acres of that is flat pasture land. I bought my son a Honda XL100 that had been through too many kids. It was really tired. I put a piston in it but the worst part was the last owner had tried his hand at paint and body work. He sprayed the entire bike with a blue paint bomb and got it on the tank, the engine, the forks and everywhere. My son spent hours with steel wool and solvents and he cleaned it all. It was never a pristine bike but it was pretty nice looking after he was done.

So one afternoon we went down to the land to ride. He was on his XL and I was riding an Ossa Pioneer. We chased each other around and then I stopped. I took my helmet off and just watched him ride. After a while he rode up beside me and shouted "Dad! Your not riding. Your not having fun!" I assured him that was we indeed having a blast watching him enjoy a motorcycle as much as i did at his age.

It is one of my best memories from when I was a Dad. It cheered me up and made me just a tiny bit sad just thinking about it.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Great news Jamie. I worked with my dad for a bit,it was great, they pass on great skills, knowledge and SOME bullshit mind. It makes the man you will become. My daughter wont except, crap, hates bullshit,speaks her mind and it a great kid. Passed down from me her Dad.

You learn great trates from your Dad.You will enjoy it no doubt. Plus be good to see you back here on the bike. :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Thanks lads, enjoyed reading through your replies.

Marty,

1 - Can't wait
2- Still my one and only
3- No she told you to leave her premises or she'll call the police again.
4- Oh yes, looking forward to next year :)

Thanks for the compliment Wicky, Carbon fibre and Ti is soooo last year, Mohogany and copper pipe will be 2016's big craze.

I didn't think anyone read my waffle... :lol:

Here for a good time, not a long time.
Jamie :wave:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Being able to let out a big fart since my crash and my abs and butt not hurting when I let rip :biggrin oh the healing really is happening!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Ckennedy wrote:Being able to let out a big fart since my crash and my abs and butt not hurting when I let rip :biggrin oh the healing really is happening!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I dare you to hold em in until immy gets home...... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Ckennedy wrote:Being able to let out a big fart since my crash and my abs and butt not hurting when I let rip :biggrin oh the healing really is happening!!
One important point to remember about accidents, is that whilst physical injuries on the outside can heal pretty quick (scars develop and new skin has grown back etc), the inside of the body (bones, muscles, ligaments, bruising on organs, all underneath the injury) can take literally MONTHS to heal properly. (That was my Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons' advice) So - still take it easy.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Picking up a set of wets from Chris,thanks mate [THUMBS UP SIGN].
Brought the matching Oxford trousers to my jacket ,
A a cuppa with ck .
Been a good day so far [THUMBS UP SIGN]