what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

Mmmm I wonder which one of us is Laurel and which one is Hardy :roll: You should have seen me bleeding the brakes on my own. :lol: Instead of just syringing the fluid and air out I wanted to squeeze the lever in as well to help push it all through. I ended up using my foot on a ring spanner over the nipple, syringe in one hand and the other hand on the lever. :lol: :lol: I really must invest in a Mityvac, I CBA messing with syringes again. They are handy and do the job, but it just makes hard work of it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cybercarl wrote:Mmmm I wonder which one of us is Laurel and which one is Hardy :roll: You should have seen me bleeding the brakes on my own. :lol: Instead of just syringing the fluid and air out I wanted to squeeze the lever in as well to help push it all through. I ended up using my foot on a ring spanner over the nipple, syringe in one hand and the other hand on the lever. :lol: :lol: I really must invest in a Mityvac, I CBA messing with syringes again. They are handy and do the job, but it just makes hard work of it.

is that the same as owning a share in Marty. :wink: out of interest Carl why is pulling air out more effective than pushing??
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

cybercarl wrote:Mmmm I wonder which one of us is Laurel and which one is Hardy :roll:
Well if you have to ask....... :eek2 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I only use a syringe to get some pressure in the lines .
Then pump and release from then on .
I keep meaning to get banjos with nipples on to aid remove of any left over air .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's exactly where I'm at now Lloyd. I bought some of those one way valves and they never worked. I wont be buying any more.

Big V you can bleed it either direction I also done a bit of reverse bleeding at some point as I think I had a trapped bubble behind one of the pistons at one stage.

That's another fine mess you got me into (scratching head!) :lol:

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It was the opposite for me.... I installed some speed bleeder (or one way valves) on my bike years ago and they have worked flawlessly. :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mine could have been dodgy. They where new but just would not work. They where not cheap either for what they are. Even our forum Brake guru could not get them working. :confused We gave up on them in the end and put the standard ones back in.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Got it dirty :-)
seb421

Post by seb421 »

cybercarl wrote:Mine could have been dodgy. They where new but just would not work. They where not cheap either for what they are. Even our forum Brake guru could not get them working. :confused We gave up on them in the end and put the standard ones back in.

I've tried one way valves was sh1t or at least the ones I used was, newer days I just get some one to pump and hold the lever in while I put some pipe in the nipple and crack the nipple open and shut it and then repeat process of pump and crack over and over till happy no air is left in system

Fitting new lines that have no oil in can be a bitch to get the oil to flow, what I've taken to doing now is taking a ear plug in one end of the lines banjo end and the other forcing fluid down it via a syringe and thin pipe... The ear plug allows it to breathe out the other side but stops oil pissing everywhere out the other end, I do this off the bike in the garden so I don't damage anything and then I put the lines on the bike once they have oil in its a lot easier

First tile I ever tried to do them took me ages as there was so much air to displace

You could also stick the lines one end in the bottle of fluid and the other end in your mouth and suck hard drawing the oil through the pipe, I don't do this but have seen a mechanic friend do it once as he was in a rush prepping his race bike, wombles getting dot4 in your mouth.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Damn, I thought it was just me who had the clever idea to use a syringe for this job :lol: I have borrowed a box of 50ml syringes from work if anyone needs one for bleeding brakes.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Made a start on the custom exhaust link pipes .
I cut these from a spare standard exhaust I picked up earlier

Monday I will go and see my engineer to make the hanger lugs .
And order some 10mm round bar also for the hangers .
Then off to mr tyres to make the rest of the link pipes :-) so I hope by this time next week they will be fitted .
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Steve6088 wrote: I have borrowed a box of 50ml syringes from work if anyone needs one for bleeding brakes.
i used to have a 300ml syringe - fookin massive it was, but i lent it someone and they never fetched it back :Argue 1:

so last time i washed out a (mastic) tube of decorator's caulk and used that - it worked a treat, in one hit.

tip - completely remove the bleed nipples and pour fluid in until it comes through clear, then refit it and bleed as normal.
it's easier to bleed the calipers if you undo them from the forks and leave them hanging loose
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

benny hedges wrote:
Steve6088 wrote: I have borrowed a box of 50ml syringes from work if anyone needs one for bleeding brakes.
i used to have a 300ml syringe - fookin massive it was, but i lent it someone and they never fetched it back :Argue 1:

so last time i washed out a (mastic) tube of decorator's caulk and used that - it worked a treat, in one hit.

tip - completely remove the bleed nipples and pour fluid in until it comes through clear, then refit it and bleed as normal.
it's easier to bleed the calipers if you undo them from the forks and leave them hanging loose
Chip as cheap...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Plastic ... 35be01a79e
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

more carb tinkering today, its running great down low but not very good up top, lets see if a compression test and some dyno time can sort it out. i also changed to my flip screen as i prefer it for motorway wind blast. bikes all checked over, please don't rain tomorrow, right i'm off out to work.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

After tinkering with the pineapple carbs which behave more like lemons :lol: I washed my bike ready for the big day.