what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by VTRDark »

WOW!!!! what an eventful day. :lol: I just got back in.

Today was my turn for bike breakdown, Just pulled of the M5 around the corner from the dyno and my front downpipe decided to fall off, well, not literally fall off, but both studs broke and it was hanging loose gradually getting louder and louder. :lol: :lol: I can laugh about it now.

Anyway got to the dyno and managed to patch it up with some exhaust paste and a couple of lengths of flat plate which I bolted one end on the bottom rad mounts (after removing them) and the other end sort of propping the exhaust back up. I shall get a picture later if I CBA, I'm shattered now.

Dyno was fun, I won the competition for biggest flames firing out the cans. :lol: :lol: Mr Pineapple can post a video later of that which he took on his phone. By this stage, the dyno blew all the exhaust assembly paste off and it was blowing like crazy hense my AF on the dyno readout.

If it wasn't for the exhaust I think I may have had a reasonable base setting. :roll:

My cans got so hot that I thought they where on fire at the end of the run. :eek2 I need to re-pack them as that has been deteriorating the last couple of months. But first things first, I am going to have to sort the downpipe out. Unfortunately it's a head off job :( I need to drill the broken studs out, replace and refit properly.

Riding all the way back from Birmingham was entertaining. Thank god the wind noise blocked out the sound of the exhaust. It was a bit tricky though, because everytime I changed down gears or used the engine braking it would pop and bang and shoot flames out the end.

Have a safe trip home Virt, you didn't say goodbye. :wave:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Glad you got home safe Carl... Your power curve looks very linear..especially in the 5000 rpm dip area.... so with the exhaust lake fixed it should come up nicely
AMcQ
Redthunder

Post by Redthunder »

Fitted swingarm and wheels, painted undertray
98 'Storm
16 Kawasaki Z1000sx
95 CB500r
98 Vfr800
00 Zx6r

Destined4bikes17@gmail.com
Gazfirestormowner

Post by Gazfirestormowner »

I do think Carl's bike sounded the nicest and the flames were cool sorry if I didn't say by to some off u guys it was a bit if a sharpe exit lol good to meet u all though cant wait to get in my garage tomorrow and start striping my bike down and see what's going on
Virt

Post by Virt »

Riding all the way back from Birmingham was entertaining. Thank god the wind noise blocked out the sound of the exhaust. It was a bit tricky though, because everytime I changed down gears or used the engine braking it would pop and bang and shoot flames out the end.
I don't understand. Is that a complaint? I for one think that would be pretty cool, give the car drivers a reason to stay away from you :lol:

Sorry about not saying goodbye, had to get back and not be too late for bed time :thumbdown: Couldn't see you either when we were leaving, must have been lying underneath your bike again :thumbup: Hope the repair job goes well on both yours and the emo bike, somehow I have a feeling you'll be involved :)
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
darkember

Post by darkember »

Carl, I believe that was inevitable. If my memory serves me well wasn't one of those studs already broken when you took photos for the manual CCT installation guide?
alternative_vtr

Post by alternative_vtr »

Fitted Hel stainless braided brake hoses to front and bled, just come in for fish and chips :D will finish off tomorrow by the fact its wet and windy here all weekend.
KTM Duke 690ABS in White
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

wasn't one of those studs already broken
It was indeed. One side had the proper stud and nut and the other was spot welded on to the broken stud. It's been like it for a year, why it decided to go today I don't know. And the spot weld is surly as strong if not stronger than a nut. :confused

Time to get it sorted once and for all. On the bright side it gives me the chance to give the front cylinder a de-coke a and light port and polish. I can also give the valves a good looking over as well, as I have not had the front head off since I have owned the bike.

emo bike is a good name for that Virt. :thumbup:

lloydie

what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by lloydie »

Removed the standard exhaust cans and fitted my chopped up links
ready for the adapters to be made up for my akrapovic cans
:-)
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I do hope those Aprillia stickers come off?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

Well the mystery continues with the pineapple bike. Plug changed, coil changed, ICM and ECU changed and still the same. It's very strange. It does behave like a timing issue but there is no reason for it to be. The cam have never been removed, the only thing that has been done there is to set the rear to compression and re-adjust the cct to sort the oil seepage. We did unbolt the pick up when the clutch casing was taken off, but that's juts a case of undoing the two 10 or 8 mm bolts and re-attaching. Nothing to go wrong there really.

:confused :confused :confused and I am frustrated with that bike now. :(

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cybercarl wrote::lol: :lol:

Well the mystery continues with the pineapple bike. Plug changed, coil changed, ICM and ECU changed and still the same. It's very strange. It does behave like a timing issue but there is no reason for it to be. The cam have never been removed, the only thing that has been done there is to set the rear to compression and re-adjust the cct to sort the oil seepage. We did unbolt the pick up when the clutch casing was taken off, but that's juts a case of undoing the two 10 or 8 mm bolts and re-attaching. Nothing to go wrong there really.

:confused :confused :confused and I am frustrated with that bike now. :(

check the cam timing just to eliminate it, I can't think how an electrical issue can cause 1 cal to screw up the other, so it has to be an option till proven otherwise
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

TBH ICA I'm fed up with it now and want to crack on and get my own bike sorted. If I was was a garage I would start charging double now just because I'm fed up and anything that is touched on that bike turns into grief. :lol:

leevtr

Post by leevtr »

cybercarl wrote:TBH ICA I'm fed up with it now and want to crack on and get my own bike sorted. If I was was a garage I would start charging double now just because I'm fed up and anything that is touched on that bike turns into grief. :lol:

Good all this tinkering lark innit :lol:
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's not tinkering, that's rebuilding from scrap. :lol: :lol: