The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

geodude

Re: The Cycling Ride Thread 2014

Post by geodude »

Nice one :thumbup:
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

geodude wrote:Nice one :thumbup:
+1!

You make me feel lazy and unfit Ali!

Picking my jump bike up tonight :)
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I am spending more time on pushbikes than motorbikes at teh moment!!!!!!!!! :(

but redressed the balance this weekend with 2.5hrs on pushbike Saturday and but 3hrs on the Honda Sunday than 2 hrs cleaning it
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Went out for the 1st New Forest MTB ride out today. It was a bit soggy. Only 12 miles but I loved every minute of it. Great to be back out in the forest. :thumbup:

Definitely lost a lot of bike fitness. Need to sort that out that's for sure!!

http://www.strava.com/activities/127136996
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

forgot about this thread...........well I have been keeping to my word and am cycling 3 times a week on my roadbike..........cant be arsed linking the Strava results, but Geo has been watching to make sure I am not making it up :lol:

monday and wednesday will do 1hr training on hills or intervals, Saturday will do 2hr rideout with the local bike shop....... really enjoying it now and the endurance is building well. it was also noticeable when I went Skiing that my legs and general fitness were not a problem even though I did no specific prep for skiing
AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

Yes, he has been doing it :clap:

Nice one. I have started to cycle to work again. It's only 4 miles but as I get more cycle fit, I'll up the return home mileage. My cardio is good due to the volleyball and badminton but my cycling legs are shot. :?

I'll sort out a ride mid way between us for the mountain bikes soon Al. It'll need to be about 30 miles to be worth the effort of going all that way. I'll keep an eye on your strava to see how your mileage is progressing :)

Keep it up :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

did anyone watch the James Cracknell TV show last night " the coldest race on earth"?

absolutely unbelievable!

When James Cracknell was hit by a truck in July 2010 while cycling as part of a journey across America, the two-time Olympic rowing champion faced a fight for life, rather than cycle, run, row and swim 2,500 miles in just 18 days.

The 38-year-old suffered a contre-coup injury – having been hit by the truck’s wing mirror at 75mph, the force of the impact smash his brain against the frontal lobes, fracturing his skull in two places.

The frontal lobes control the personality and Cracknell’s live has been changed irreversibly. There have been times when his behaviour has been so erratic, he hasn’t been allowed to be alone with his two children.

But, just six months after the accident, Cracknell was back on the bike, lining up to face the Yukon Arctic Ultra – a 430-mile race, on foot, on skis or by mountain bike, up the frozen Yukon river in north west Canada. Cracknell, a self-obsessed cycling addict, chose to ride the full route by mountain bike.

“Some questioned the wisdom of this, not least because of the serious cycling accident I suffered in America last July, but at least there wouldn’t be any trucks for me to hit this time,” wrote Telegraph columnist Cracknell.

“A number of things in my life have changed since the accident. These are difficult to discuss and almost impossible to convey through mere prose, but I felt that a return to competitive cycling would be good for my self-confidence.”

Cracknell’s journey, The Coldest Race on Earth, was broadcast on the Discovery Channel last night. It was the third in a trilogy which first documented Cracknell’s participation in the Marathon des Sables, six back-to-back marathons across the Sahara Desert, before revisiting Route 66, where he suffered his accident

Read more at http://bikemagic.com/mountain-bike-even ... QAbQvp1.99

the concept of the race was crazy, but to do it just to check that you still had the "olympic champions" mind set and find out what type of recovery could be possible and build some self confidence is another step again. it was a physical and emotional roler coaster, but great TV.

the bike had 100mm wide tyres to spread the load on the snow and they had to carry all their kit including tent and cooking with them.
Last edited by AMCQ46 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

That sounds amazing Al, what channel was it on? Hopefully it's available on catch up.

I want to do another trip, nothing as mad as that though! A friend has mentioned sailing but I'd prefer cycling.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

it was on Quest on freeview
AMcQ
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Shoot, I can't get catch up for quest, I'm sure they will repeat it soon.

Fancy such an undertaking Al? :)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Did 42 miles on the pushbike today with the unwelcome surprise of a 1:6 hill as i rounded a harpin bend on some roads I hadn't ridden before.

Then managed to nip. Out on the storm for about 90miles to test the new cans
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Did 42 miles on the pushbike today with the unwelcome surprise of a 1:6 hill as i rounded a harpin bend on some roads I hadn't ridden before.

AMcQ
geodude

Post by geodude »

AMCQ46 wrote:Did 42 miles on the pushbike today with the unwelcome surprise of a 1:6 hill as i rounded a harpin bend on some roads I hadn't ridden before.

Nice one. :clap: I've managed to do 0 miles for over a week. You'll start seeing the mileage rack up on strava soon though. Time to get my sh1t together :thumbup:
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

I've had my rear wheel rebuilt :woohoo:

Amcq46, if my sis is around on the wsd you can bore each other into oblivion with your Strava graphs/results ;)

She is doing 120 miles in a day for charity in London in a few weeks and 60m in a day in a couple of weeks. Good ol girl!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamoi wrote:I've had my rear wheel rebuilt :woohoo:

Amcq46, if my sis is around on the wsd you can bore each other into oblivion with your Strava graphs/results ;)

She is doing 120 miles in a day for charity in London in a few weeks and 60m in a day in a couple of weeks. Good ol girl!
ok, she wins, the best I ever did was 80 miles in 1 day on the coast to coast, and that was yrs ago. my current best is only 45miles, but that was limited by time as I am now getting grief for spending too much time on my pushbike, and even worse if I spend the morning cycling then come home, eat, put leathers on and spend the afternoon on the Storm, then spend 1hr cleaning it.

I think the phrase selfish tw*t was used, but I still had my earplugs in as it makes it easier to ignore the ranting :o
AMcQ