No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
artee

Re: No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Post by artee »

Gr8whenitgoes wrote:
artee wrote:
Gr8whenitgoes wrote:Had a call earlier this evening, and the mechanic simply said listen to this - and he fired up the bike - and it sounded fine - I am going to have a full chat with him on monday, as he is away supporting a BSB rider, but he did say he cleaned the connections with brake fluid. I said that I had soaked all the connectors with switch cleaner and repeatedly made and broke all the connections :confused

- If this was the only cause of the fault condition, and I'll find out on monday - the lesson for me is - 1st clean all connections thoroughly before changing components!

I am not sure about using brake fluid, as I would be concerned about leaving residues in the connector (a good flush with WD40 is on the cards). The contacts all looked bright and clean, but maybe there was stuff in one connection that was hard and resistive, that even switch cleaner wouldnt touch

Thanks again for the helpful comments esp Carl and Lloydie - I've learnt a lot - and fi anything else comes from chatting to the mechanic on monday, I'll let you know
At least there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Roger
When I chatted with the mechanic, I was able to say that at least the Ignition Control and Converter Units had been proven on a well sorted VTR - yours - that seemed to be the only conclusive bit of information I could give him! Thanks again - by the way the BSB rider is in superstocks 600 called Wilson and he hails from your area - small world
Never heard of him to be honest.
I have a friend that helps Aaron Zanotti in Bsb, so I tend to follow his results.

Roger
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Roger, I'm no BSB follower, but apparently Wilson is struggling to qualify at the moment - the usual thing of a young rider living hand to mouth for race parts - tough for the lower order Graham
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Wicky wrote:Good to hear you're up and running after the vexing problem/s.
Thanks for this - pray for sun next week, esp in lancs and yorkshire for a good run out! G
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Gr8whenitgoes wrote:Had a call earlier this evening, and the mechanic simply said listen to this - and he fired up the bike - and it sounded fine - I am going to have a full chat with him on monday, as he is away supporting a BSB rider, but he did say he cleaned the connections with brake fluid. I said that I had soaked all the connectors with switch cleaner and repeatedly made and broke all the connections :confused

- If this was the only cause of the fault condition, and I'll find out on monday - the lesson for me is - 1st clean all connections thoroughly before changing components!

I am not sure about using brake fluid, as I would be concerned about leaving residues in the connector (a good flush with WD40 is on the cards). The contacts all looked bright and clean, but maybe there was stuff in one connection that was hard and resistive, that even switch cleaner wouldnt touch

Thanks again for the helpful comments esp Carl and Lloydie - I've learnt a lot - and fi anything else comes from chatting to the mechanic on monday, I'll let you know
That is brilliant news :clap:

As already been said, I would also most certainly like to hear what the problem was,

Chris.
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Just got the bike back - the mechanic explained that he could not find anything obvious, so went round all the connectors using brake cleaner (not fluid as I had said above|) - I thought switch cleaner was good enough! However he did say that I may have overdone the WD40 together with a battery not on full charge - its left me shrugging my shoulders, because I know what I had done. Anyway he started it up from cold, and it sounds ok, so its get the fairing on and see how it rides - again!
Thanks again and enjoy this sun - Graham
artee

Post by artee »

Roger
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Gr8whenitgoes wrote:Just got the bike back - the mechanic explained that he could not find anything obvious, so went round all the connectors using brake cleaner (not fluid as I had said above|) - I thought switch cleaner was good enough! However he did say that I may have overdone the WD40 together with a battery not on full charge - its left me shrugging my shoulders, because I know what I had done. Anyway he started it up from cold, and it sounds ok, so its get the fairing on and see how it rides - again!
Umm, bit of a strange one that, glad the bike is working again which is obviously the main thing :thumbup:

Thanks for letting us know,

Chris.
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

sirch345 wrote:
Gr8whenitgoes wrote:Just got the bike back - the mechanic explained that he could not find anything obvious, so went round all the connectors using brake cleaner (not fluid as I had said above|) - I thought switch cleaner was good enough! However he did say that I may have overdone the WD40 together with a battery not on full charge - its left me shrugging my shoulders, because I know what I had done. Anyway he started it up from cold, and it sounds ok, so its get the fairing on and see how it rides - again!
Umm, bit of a strange one that, glad the bike is working again which is obviously the main thing :thumbup:

Thanks for letting us know,

Chris.
Chris
Thanks for that - its back together and the bike has been firing up immediately. I'll certainly be doing short runs until i egt some confidence back in the bike G
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mmmmm yes strange one that. Oh well at least it's up and running again. Sometimes problems can mysteriously fix themselves only to reappear down the line, especially where electrics are concerned so keep your eyes and ears open just in case, but enjoy the bike. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:Mmmmm yes strange one that. Oh well at least it's up and running again. Sometimes problems can mysteriously fix themselves only to reappear down the line, especially where electrics are concerned so keep your eyes and ears open just in case, but enjoy the bike. :thumbup:

(:-})
Don't they just, I hope that's not the case for Gr8whenitgoes this time.
Gr8whenitgoes wrote:
Chris
Thanks for that - its back together and the bike has been firing up immediately. I'll certainly be doing short runs until i egt some confidence back in the bike G
Short trips sound like a good idea to build your confidence back up again, for your sake I hope all is well,

Chris.