Airbox, CCT Stopper and Valve clearances

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thunderbolt

Re: Airbox, CCT Stopper and Valve clearances

Post by thunderbolt »

I got both valve covers back on ok with the PAIR system removed. I fitted the carbs ok without any issues but I have now had then on and off three or more times. I've had no real trouble fitting things back on so far. No one told me about the choke though and how difficult it can be to get that routed correctly.

When is the appropriate time to fit the throttle cable plate that was removed with both cables - before the carbs go back on?
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, after the carbs are in place is easier.

With a standard airbox it's quite simple to refit them, lower one first.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

tony.mon wrote:No, after the carbs are in place is easier.

With a standard airbox it's quite simple to refit them, lower one first.
Is there a special tool required. There is not much space between the screw head and the front plastic cowling. Cannot get a normal cross head screwdriver in there.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Short Phillips head screwdriver

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Wicky wrote:Short Phillips head screwdriver
Thanks Wicky, but it won't fit. I ended up replacing the JIS head screws with hex head where I could get a normal ring spanner onto them from above.

Stay tuned though. I am now reassembling the rest of the bike and there are some bits I am not sure where they attach to. One being the rubber collar on the RH metal pipe going up to the oil cooler.

Thanks
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Wicky wrote:Image
Yes, it's that rubber bushing half way up the RH metal pipe - where does it attach to? I have it on my metal pipe as shown in your picture but don't know whether it attaches to the fairing or something else.

Thanks.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

No it just wraps round the oil pipe and prevents it rubbing/contacting on anything around the back of the radiator area / against engine where it passes through - it doesn't attach to anything.

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Wicky wrote:No it just wraps round the oil pipe and prevents it rubbing/contacting on anything around the back of the radiator area / against engine where it passes through - it doesn't attach to anything.
Thanks Wicky, no wonder I couldn't find where it attached to. haha

A progress report so far.

When I was working on the lower front part of the bike I noticed oil stains on the concrete under the forks and brake calipers. There was oil dripping from the calipers on both sides. So must have been a lot of oil coming out of the front forks.

In the pics below the oil residue can be seen as darker shades.

It was even dripping off the caliper onto the wheel rim.

A couple of pics of the PAIR system removal or more accurately the blanking off plates as fitted to both valve covers:

I have also fitted the airbox and new filter. It was a struggle to get all the tubes in the bottom of the airbox, but patience prevailed. Only one error really in doing this and that was forgetting to attach the clips on the two front hoses. But shouldn't matter I don't think as they can't really pull off as they are jammed between the valve cover and the airbox (nowhere to go).

Pics of progress following:

A couple of questions if I may. It will be noticed in the 2nd last pic that I have yet to fit the radiators, fairing and fuel tank.

What order should I do them in so that no rework will have to be done.

Should I pull the forks and do the seals before I refit the fairing?

Can I refit the radiators and hoses before pulling the forks - will it cause any interference?

For those with experience of doing the front forks is it enough to just do the seals or is it best to replace the bushes and dust caps as well? It will be a first for me doing cartridge forks. I cannot find any real info on rebuilding the VTR forks on the web - are the VTR forks similar the the CBR600 RWU forks. I found some YouTube video on doing these?

Should the fairing or fuel tank go on first or doesn't it matter?
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Best do forks while you've got easy access with bodwork etc off - Its covered in the Honda Service downloadable PDF manual and here also in more detail > Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=29710

You'll need to thoroughly degrease disks and pads (recommend replace pads just in case) after their contamination with fork oil.

Radiators need to go back on before fairing as its a tad difficult other wise (though folk can apparently remove underpants with out removing trousers)

thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Wicky wrote:Best do forks while you've got easy access with bodwork etc off - Its covered in the Honda Service downloadable PDF manual and here also in more detail > Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=29710

You'll need to thoroughly degrease disks and pads (recommend replace pads just in case) after their contamination with fork oil.

Radiators need to go back on before fairing as its a tad difficult other wise (though folk can apparently remove underpants with out removing trousers)
Thanks Wicky
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

Just to close off this thread and bring it to a conclusion here are a few comments. Thanks.

I did the CCT stopper mod.

I repaired the choke mechanism which was previously so stiff it could not be pulled out fully. It now works fine (like new).

Checked valve clearances, removed camshafts and fitted correct sized shims to obtain correct valve clearances.

Reset TPS to 500 ohms from 794 ohms.

Loosened main top engine to frame bolt & lubricated around bolt where it passed through engine casting and rotated bolt to get movement to prevent seizing in the future.

Removed PAIR system and replaced with alloy plates.

Removed front forks from bike. Replaced top and bottom bushes, fork seals & dust seals. Set air gap at 130mm with Panolin 5wt synthetic fork oil.

Front calipers washed out with brake cleaner to remove fork oil from them. Pistons pushed back & forth to free them up.

Replaced radiators and hoses. Refilled with Nulon Long Life anti-freeze (50/50 mix with demineralised water).

Fitted front guard extension.

I did 370km on the VTR yesterday and 250kms on it the previous Saturday and everything seems to be going fine. No problems so far

I am VERY pleased with my VTR Firestorm, And as far as I am concerned all the essential maintenance on it has been done now with all the relevant specs noted and recorded for future applications - (valve clearances, etc).

Thanks for all help offered.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I forgot about this thread. Good to hear things are going well mate :thumbup: