Project Blue Belle

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
StormyRob

Re: Project Blue Belle

Post by StormyRob »

Might as well have mate cos I'm injured!!!

Had to get the engine in the boot and it busted by back and neck!

Chest a little sore too...but at least its done.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

That's one way to get it out lol. Haven't taken one of these out but a few other bikes I have, A trolley jack with a bit of wood is a must as you can lower the engine and if needed lift the frame up. Have the bike on front and rear stands. Loosen mounting bolts. Lift the jack up so its supporting the engine then remove mounting bolts completely making sure engine doesn't tip forward. Lower jack little by little persuading the engine to drop out the mounts if required. Once fully lowered you should be able to manoeuvre the engine from under the frame. Installation would be the opposite. The cat engine was a pain in the ass as the shift rod was stopping the engine dropping and no room to go forward so had to partly disassemble the clutch to be able to drop it. Only took me half hour to get it back in after.

Good job though and credit for giving it a go.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Watty

Post by Watty »

StormyRob wrote:Might as well have mate cos I'm injured!!!

Had to get the engine in the boot and it busted by back and neck!

Chest a little sore too...but at least its done.
Excellent for not shying away from the job mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

VTR Phoenix wrote:That's one way to get it out lol. Haven't taken one of these out but a few other bikes I have, A trolley jack with a bit of wood is a must as you can lower the engine and if needed lift the frame up. Have the bike on front and rear stands. Loosen mounting bolts. Lift the jack up so its supporting the engine then remove mounting bolts completely making sure engine doesn't tip forward. Lower jack little by little persuading the engine to drop out the mounts if required. Once fully lowered you should be able to manoeuvre the engine from under the frame. Installation would be the opposite. The cat engine was a pain in the ass as the shift rod was stopping the engine dropping and no room to go forward so had to partly disassemble the clutch to be able to drop it. Only took me half hour to get it back in after.

I think I'll be more methodical when putting it back in. Might even have a little help!
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

StormyRob wrote:
VTR Phoenix wrote:That's one way to get it out lol. Haven't taken one of these out but a few other bikes I have, A trolley jack with a bit of wood is a must as you can lower the engine and if needed lift the frame up. Have the bike on front and rear stands. Loosen mounting bolts. Lift the jack up so its supporting the engine then remove mounting bolts completely making sure engine doesn't tip forward. Lower jack little by little persuading the engine to drop out the mounts if required. Once fully lowered you should be able to manoeuvre the engine from under the frame. Installation would be the opposite. The cat engine was a pain in the ass as the shift rod was stopping the engine dropping and no room to go forward so had to partly disassemble the clutch to be able to drop it. Only took me half hour to get it back in after.

I think I'll be more methodical when putting it back in. Might even have a little help!
Well if you need anymore help give us a shout and I'll give you a hand, give me chance to have a decent ride out after working so much lately.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Thanks very Much mate.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Next time strip everything off it so you only have the frame to remove .
Much quicker and easier .
When you rebuild it 'just a naked frame and an engine ,pith them together and build from there .
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

lloydie wrote:Next time strip everything off it so you only have the frame to remove .
When you rebuild it 'just a naked frame and an engine ,pith them together and build from there .

Yea that's how I'll be putting it back together. I've never done it before so just kinda gave it a go. Thankfully no breakages or other damage.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote:
lloydie wrote:Next time strip everything off it so you only have the frame to remove .

Yea that's how I'll be putting it back together. I've never done it before so just kinda gave it a go. Thankfully no breakages or other damage.
Appart from your back apparently.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I think I just need to man up a bit!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

you silly sod, why didn't you ask us how it's best done..... :roll:
hope your back gets better dude... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and when you put it back together, either remove or mask up the rear can cover.......... it will get scratched as you try and get it through the rear engine mount.
AMcQ
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

AMCQ46 wrote:and when you put it back together, either remove or mask up the rear can cover.......... it will get scratched as you try and get it through the rear engine mount.
+1 on that.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

agentpineapple wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote:and when you put it back together, either remove or mask up the rear can cover.......... it will get scratched as you try and get it through the rear engine mount.
+1 on that.... :thumbup:

Shall do. It was the rear causing issues on the way out. Last thing I want is the newly powdered frame and painted engine getting damaged!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

just take your time, it helps if there's two of you.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!