Stalling

General Bike chat
BazilD

Stalling

Post by BazilD »

Hi All,
I have a new F2 done about 300 mile of pleasure on it to date, great bony!

Having problems with it stalling at idle, more so when cold but also when hot. The idle is about 1200 RPM, is this right for a 'Storm or should I increase it?

It also seems to have quite a noticeable vibration from the mill at 5 - 6000RPM is this normal?

Any help will be much appreciated!

'Storm Virgin :twisted:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Basil.
Welcome to the joys of owning a storm. In short yes they do stall. :( Honda says "what did you expexct from a large carburated twin.It's part of It's character"
You can make the problem better by keep the carbs in synk and changing the plugs to some irridium ones. It probably doesnt help that you've only done 300 miles. The engine's still tight and keeping the revs down whilst running in wont burn off any of the carbon build up on the plugs.
The best cure is some nice free flowing pipes :D .Most bikes loose the stalling problem when they get rid of the stuffed up Honda ones.
Pete

P.S Keep the tickover around 1100rpm if you just keep turning it up you'll only make the plugs soot up quicker
BazilD

Post by BazilD »

Pete,

Many thanks for your welcome and reply. I think when it goes in for it's first service I will get them to balance the carbs and check out the problem.

I hear what you are saying about it being a big carbed twin, so stalling frequently when cold would make sense but when warm, I find that hard to accept.

The cans will come, I'm still skint from the purchase, but once the bank manager is off my back I definately acquire a pair!

Have you experienced the vibration from the motor @ 5 - 6000rpm? I'm a little concerned by this, running it in I have been taking care using slow accel and decel, clutch shifting and treating with care but opening her up for the first few times the engine vibrates quite badly! Any ideas?

Cheers,

BD
castrolstorm

VIBRATION

Post by castrolstorm »

HI BAZ
IS YOUR PROBLEM VIBRATION, OR DOES IT FEEL LIKE SOMEOME PUNCHING THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK WHEN YOU OPEN IT UP, COS THOSE KIN BIG PISTONS DONT ALF PUNCH,WHEN YOU GIVE ER A TWIST
RICK :D
Doddmaster

Post by Doddmaster »

Mine vibrates a fair bit until I get to about 6k when it smoothes out. I think that is normal for most big twins
(Try riding a Harley if you think the storm vibrates!)
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Hot or cold mine has done 9k I still have the odd stall.

Its a V twin they all do that sir.

Mine started to losen up at about 6500 mile its great now. The first owner never road it hard and the rear tire had big chicken lines on each side.

Get the running in done and the first service then get on it, it will soon get going properly.