Testing fuel level detector/sender

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Neophyte

Testing fuel level detector/sender

Post by Neophyte »

:?:

Hi there all,

Can anyone tell me how to test the actual detector/sender unit inside the fuel tank? My reserve indicator light doesn't work but fortunately I didn't find it out the hard way. I bought the bike 3 weeks ago today and when I offloaded from the trailer at home to go for a ride I started her and after a few seconds the engine stopped. After a few tries of starting I realised it sounds like there's no fuel. I opened the filler cap and the tank was dry! I just keep a good eye on the mileage so as not to run out of fuel but that makes me being extra careful and it's starting to irritate me.

Please help!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

I take it you have checked the 2 -pole connector under the seat?

Del.
Neophyte

Done that

Post by Neophyte »

Yes...I actually shorted the connector under the seat which causes the reserve light to come on so it rules out a blown LED/bulb.

I actually want to try testing for continuity through the plugs under the seat to see if the plugs terminals make proper contacts with each other.
Neophyte

test result

Post by Neophyte »

Well, the continuity through the plug is fine so I can only asume the sensor in the tank is shot...Now, don't ask me when I'm going back to the dealer, as it's about a 220km ride there and back!