O/T............... another 'Peed Off' person

General Biker Banter
LotusSevenMan

O/T............... another 'Peed Off' person

Post by LotusSevenMan »

LSM Feeling-sorry-for-myself-mode "ON"

Just saved hard to actually get the VTR back on the road (been off since September) and now all taxed, MOT'd and insured for First of March. Great.
Went to ride it Saturday after putting the washing machine on.
Go upstairs and get my bike kit. Come downstairs to find I now own a swimming pool that was once the kitchen. Water literally everywhere and pouring out from under the machine.
Bike ride cancelled as it really took me most of the day to sort the disaster with chip board furniture/cabinets you can imagine. Landlady has carpet tiles down so they get awful when 2" down under water too (OK exaggeration, but you get the drift)!!!!

Check machine over. Can't find a split hose or anything. Hated to do this (as I feel a failure not being able to fix it) but called a Zanussi approved engineer out for today.
He left me a note. Drum has huge hole nr heater unit right on the rear of the drum (now wonder I couldn't see it from on top/underneath etc).
It's a washer/dryer and needs to be as this rented place has no radiators; just immersion heater hot water cylinder and a gas fire.
Anyway, cost to repair this 480 quid machine is................................. another 193ukp (I've already paid the 52ukp call out charge don't forget). :cry:

What to do :?:

Right pi**ed off. Good job in some respects it happened this month after the bike was all sorted or the return to service would have been stalled for some time!!!!!!
Sorry, but it just gets to me sometimes; grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

OK. Feeling-sorry-for-myself-state over..........ish
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
clayderman

Post by clayderman »

Any chance of welding the hole up?
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I think this drum is so wafer thin material wise it's asking for trouble. After all it only takes a pin hole eh?
Thanks for the thought though. :)
fishface

Post by fishface »

buy a new one cheaper than repair thats if you have the funds mate
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

FF
Washer/dryer for less than 200ukp?
Show me where and I'm gonna make some money flogging them on!!!!!!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

LSM I know how you feel, I have been through one dish washer and a tumble dryer this year. It never seems to be economically viable to fix the bloody things!
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

They talk about recycling and making use of goods we ALREADY have, but in this consumer world of you must buy, buy, buy it is made so that economical repair is a no go (really). They could make them last a lot longer, but why do that? You won't buy another for a while so that's no good for business!!!!!!

Beamish.
Dishwasher is fine............. as long I'm standing and my hands work OK (ooh err missus). Washing up bowl for me (well not 'me'. I have a bath too so well advanced here!)

Less :cry: , but wondering where the nearest Laundro-Mat is for some serious action in the next few days :(

Discuss.
Underpants. Worn once in these guises. Normal, back to front, inside out 'normal and inside out and back to front and then go commando................... and there's a working week gone :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

They talk about recycling and making use of goods we ALREADY have, but in this consumer world of you must buy, buy, buy it is made so that economical repair is a no go (really). They could make them last a lot longer, but why do that? You won't buy another for a while so that's no good for business!!!!!!
I couldn't agree with you more on that Chris (LSM) :!:

Not an easy decision there that's for sure and I can only imagine what your kitchen must have been like with all that water in it :!:

I'm sure you will come to the right decision in the end :!:

Chris.
warby221

Post by warby221 »

Beamish wrote:LSM I know how you feel, I have been through one dish washer and a tumble dryer this year. It never seems to be economically viable to fix the bloody things!
You chucked Mrs Out????
now that’s hard core that’ll stop her spending any on the credit card :P :P :P :P :P
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

LOVL !!!!!! :lol:
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

warby221 wrote:
Beamish wrote:LSM I know how you feel, I have been through one dish washer and a tumble dryer this year. It never seems to be economically viable to fix the bloody things!
You chucked Mrs Out????
now that’s hard core that’ll stop her spending any on the credit card :P :P :P :P :P
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

That metal drum turns out to be............................. heavy gauge plastic!!!
Really.

So maybe I'll have a look at it some more. Wish I knew exactly where this hole is!
Trouble is the way these machines are made it doesn't just have the back come off. It is a sort of half a box affair with the joins on the side. Makes for a stiffer structure (ooohh err) but less easy to work on.
On the good news side I rang the Zanussi service guys if I go ahead with them for repairs they knock of the cost of the initial survey so that might help if I can't sort it eh?
LSM

PS Getting my washing done by a nice, friendly female neighbour right now so that helps a bit eh? :D :wink:
Wicky

All things washing machine related

Post by Wicky »

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/

This site has helped me save me time and hassle in replacing bits
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Good link Wiccky. Thanks.

Well, I decided to have a flamin' good look before I pay out big time.
Spoke with the Zanussi service manager and he let slip where the condenser 'filter' was for the dryer. I thought it was meant to be a black housing but it turns out it is a multi chamber for condensing the water and hot air to atmosphere (and is almost clear to slightly opaque plastic). I got three great handfuls of very fine fluff out of tit once all washed out.
My machine had flashed a fault code that was 'E20'. Book says a fluff filter blockage. It doesn't say that it is not the front fluff filter which you can get at but the technically non-serviceable one within the machine which can't be got at without removing the back half of the machine. Grrrrrrrrrr.
I have just spent an hour cleaning this chamber out.
So as I see it the machine has been unable to get rid of the hot dryer air properly so what it does is fails a type of core plug. Next fill = swimming pool...................... ummmm.
I think this is a very poor design. It should, if overheating, trip the stop circuit but no it doesn't!
See the pic for the result!!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/2315672720/

AND

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81476041@N00/2314964557/

I think I can just see the err, pinhole in the middle of the pic!!!
The one alongside it is slightly distorted too though stable so I'll leave that one and the one closest to the camera as the new safety ones with (hopefully) a good repair somehow to the blown one.
I can also say for sure that 'Calgon' keeps the heater pipes clean as I can see and touch them too.
Well I'll try a repair first. Nothing much to lose is there so I'll let you all know in the next exciting installment of.......... Washing Machine Repair Man!