Drilled baffles....poor mans race can !

General Bike chat
bikerpiker

Drilled baffles....poor mans race can !

Post by bikerpiker »

Just drilled eight 9mm holes round each baffle, what a difference :lol: ,...when i started bike up my wife just drew me a funny look n shook her head !
When i took em off to empty the swarf out i did notice they were real heavy, will maybe get a "real"race can sometime !
What i was wonderin is, do i need to inform insurance company i drilled the holes ???
bikerpiker

drilled baffles

Post by bikerpiker »

The holes just makes it sound a lot better,maybe just sounds like its goin faster :lol: sounds more like a v-twin should, just im sure i read somewhere on here that braided hoses, belly-pans etc make a difference to some insurance companys .
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Some insurance companies look at say suspension/brake upgrades as safety related so won't affect premiums.
Bodywork & engine upgrades usually do,but its worth checking with them what is replaced after a spill as alot will just replace with standard parts (not that they're much cheaper)
On another note ,why do you pack the piking in after the winter? Love piking & spring /summer they fight like crazy :D :D
Cheers
Steve
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I declared cans, air filter , indicators and belly pan. The only item that raised the premium was the belly pan. That is with Bennetts anyway. HTH
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Steve..we prefer pike fishin in the winter,nowt like sittin there frozen to the bone,bacon n egg sizzlin on the stove, readin the.....errm ..sport :wink: ,then ur bite alarm goes.
To busy in summer..... biking , garden ,,diy..blah blah blah
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

Yeah,guess i know the feeling :lol: ..other half "too many hobbies"what about this,whens that gonna get finshed etc.etc :evil:
cheers
Steve
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

i striped out my micron cans and replaced the non removable baffles with new shiney removable baffles :D
i did have to do an unmod because the bike was way to noisey to go to work on at 07.30 so i put a plate back in but still have removable baffles and it sounds awsome but doesnt wake the dead so much
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
fritz

Post by fritz »

mine are in the garage!!!!

only ever put them in for track days !!!!
solorider

Post by solorider »

lmao_37 wrote:i striped out my micron cans and replaced the non removable baffles with new shiney removable baffles :D
i did have to do an unmod because the bike was way to noisey to go to work on at 07.30 so i put a plate back in but still have removable baffles and it sounds awsome but doesnt wake the dead so much
one of the reasons why i havnt removed the baffle plates in my blue flames,and i have to leave at 5.30am to start at 6am,or get back at 12.30am or later epending on what shift im on.and where i live all the houses are close together with no roads just a wide footpath so noise can easily bounce around
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

I have the std Honda cans..................... with straight through perforated pipe and NO baffles; full stop. Passed its MOT like that so must be OK officer and they are Honda originals after all!!! :roll:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
bikerpiker

standard cans

Post by bikerpiker »

hhhmmmm :roll: interestin !!
Glad to hear you've got standard (ish) :twisted: cans , thought i was the only one on here with them !!

How did u do that ?

Do you mean remove the doh-nut shaped bit between the inner and outer pipe completely,ie,the bit where ive drilled the holes at the rear of the can would be removed?
By straight through perforated pipe are you talking about a long sharp bar of steel and a big clout wae a hammer??
Did you have to re-jet??
Ive already drilled 8mm holes.....then up to 9mm....might be up to 10mm by the end of the day .
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

The mod was done by my mate (the previous owner) who paid good money to have the end of the cans removed, all the guts taken out (of which there is a lot of bits and weight), the perforated tubes inserted and then the ends of the can very carefully welded back and polished to look standard (apart from the big hole).
Great job!!!! 8)
lmao_37

Post by lmao_37 »

solorider wrote: one of the reasons why i havnt removed the baffle plates in my blue flames,and i have to leave at 5.30am to start at 6am,or get back at 12.30am or later epending on what shift im on.and where i live all the houses are close together with no roads just a wide footpath so noise can easily bounce around
i use to start my bike up n set a car alarm off it was great on a saturday at 07.30, its the car my mate owns who lets me keep my bike in his garage (he needs a better alarm)my bike was about 10 meters away and on tick over that was enough for me to put the baffle plates back in the exausts and the get a different type of removable baffle (ones that work this time) sorted now its good to take out the baffles and have a quick blast on it :D :D :D :D :D
wheres the road kill............?
iam hungry!!!!!
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

View down the can!

chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

LotusSevenMan wrote:View down the can!
looks like a french toilet.