Shall I buy a Firestorm?

General Bike chat
Granty

Shall I buy a Firestorm?

Post by Granty »

I realise that by posing this question on this forum I'm likley to receive a biased response, but I'd appreciate your opinions anyway.

I'm currently riding a CBR600FS-1 and although I'm impressed with Honda build quality, I'm less than enamoured with the amount of thrashing necessary to ride a modern sports 600. So I'm considering options, all of which involve trading-in for a larger capacity machine with fewer cylinders.

The computerised photo's MCN kindly printed of the supposed 2004 Firestorm replacement had me all excited, and I have been preparing to get one. Now that this has been proven to be a bare faced lie by incompetent newspaper hacks I'm left wondering what to do.

I'm tempted to take advantage of the current low price on a new 02 or 03 (probably pre-reg) Firestorm that a number of dealers are offering, and then trade-up to a newer model when one is eventually introduced. However I'm concerned about the tales I hear of piss-poor fuel economy on these models, as I don't really fancy the prospect of returning less MPG than an armour plated personnel carrier!

So what's the low-down? Clearly economy will be directly related to the nut that holds the throttle, but what would be a reasonable average return, and are there any other glaring faults like carb icing or such, that new owners should be aware of?

Cheers

Granty
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Hi Granty

Welcome aboard.

Firstly the the problem is'nt so much as the amount of fuel used it is the storage capacity, you will be looking at filling up between 100 - 120 miles tops and sticking about 14 litres which means between 35 and 40 to the gallon , maybe 30 on a track day. Not impressive to say the least but on par with other V twins (mille/duke's etc).
There is much talk of front end problems on this site but that depends on how much of a race hero you try to be, personnelly I have'nt had any problems with mine (not the fastest guy in the world but not exactly slow), but even if your find it a problem then it can be well sorted for £200 quid at revolution racing.
The great thing about the storm is that you have one hell of a great bike for less then £5500 new if you shop around and barter, the bike has a fantastic engine with all the power you need and slipping on a set of cans gives you a great sounding bike to boot. I have found that on many occasions I have no problems keeping up with the so called race boys on R1's etc, but also you can take a run down to the south of France and not need the services of an ostiopath enroute.
You also have the advantage of not needing to go up and down the gearbox like a demented fool whilst out for ride, just use the mid range.
I have no regrets at all in buying a storm after owning four cylinder stuff.

Like anything else and it has been said so many times "you pays your money" try and get a test on one you will not be dissapointed :D :D :D

Hope that this helps.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Granty

Thanks Ian

Post by Granty »

Much appreciated. I had a couple of Hinkley Triumphs before the CBR and was shocked when the 600 returned an average of 10 mpg less at 45 mpg, which is why I'm so concerned about petrol consumption, so the prospect of getting even lower fuel economy is not appealing. :?

Nonetheless if the VTR has other qualities that counterbalance this I'll still consider the purchase.

BTW anybody know of the best UK deal right now?
Pipstorm

Post by Pipstorm »

:lol:I agree, after owning multi cylinder bikes I came to a 'storm after a fairly long break, I love it, fuel consumption is not that bad if you don't cane it, not so good if you want to go touring - if you do tour buy something else.

But if you want a quick reliable bike with stacks of character then you have found the right one. Put some proper cans on it and make it sound the way it should have come from the factory.

My brother in law has a cbr600 and although he is a far better rider he struggles to keep up out of corners. So much grunt!

I guess it comes down to what you want, although it will probably feel “slow” compared to the cbr until you look at the clocks, its very deceptive, i'd say "give it a go."

Phil
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

I know that Jack Machins in Lincoln have a pre reg yellow one in list is circa £5800 but he's had it kicking around for a while so might be worth a call I'll have a look for the number when I get home and send you a PM, there are a few others that are knocking them out cheap so have a look through MCN web site and bike trader. Depends where you are in the country.

Cheers

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
kingster

Post by kingster »

I'm a recent storm convert after many years of riding 'saki 600/750 fours.

I am now thoroughly hooked on the whole V-twin thing. As Pipstorm said, you don't realise just how fast it is until you look at the clocks. Also, it's a real easy bike to ride and makes me grin from ear to ear every time I go out. It's so much less work up and down the box when compared to a screaming 600.

Mine was second hand and already had the front end 'tune up' (progressive springs and forks dropped 5mm etc) and easily outhandles most 600s, especially when you use the grunt through the bends.

Fuel consumption is OK (ish), it's the tank on my model that's small as Iggy19966 pointed out. But it's well worth it.

It will do long miles without any hassle, is a boatload of fun on A roads and can handle itself on a trackday.

Race cans are a must have item!

Chris
gsh

Post by gsh »

I bought my 03 Storm a month ago for £5499 otr. Originally my dealer was going to pre reg it to get the discount from Honda, which is the same sort of deal Suzuki were offering on the SV1000. However, the rep told my dealer not to bother! I can't remember which site I first saw the deal on, but I mentioned it to my local dealer and they matched it, evn getting the bike in for me especially. Search the web, I'm sure the same deal must be out there.
BTW, got my bike from Wybrow motorcycles in Corringham Essex. Friendly folks.
B. Wybrow Motorcycles Ltd 26 Corringham Road, Stanford-Le-Hope, Essex, SS17 OAH 01375 672823
DD

Post by DD »

Granty, They aint that bad on gas realy unless you are realy caning it. Last weekend I rode 700km's with a 02 GS1200ss, 85 T5 Guzzi, 85 BMW100gs and a 03 GSX750f and apart from the GSX (ridden by a girl-never reved above 5g) My 03 Storm was the best on fuel.
And don't forget from 01 up the VTR has an extra 3L in the tank.
cheers Darryl
Vstormer

Post by Vstormer »

Hi Granty Welcome.
Changed from B12 as I wanted something with same low down and goes round corners. Would not change back to 4 now, tried the wifes CBR600F and took me back to the days when you had to cover the brakes to slow down. Getting used to big twin not easy and not instant, but when you get there, as the lads are saying, the pull is hard and prolonged and fast not rush/rush/rush like a 4. Go for it! :P
Granty

Thanks everyone

Post by Granty »

Much appreciated. I presume carb-icing is not a problem then as nobody mentioned it?

I've only just found out that front & rear suspension on the VTR has limited adjustment (all my previous machines have been fully tweakable), is this a major problem, as I certainly don't want to buy a bike and then fork out (no pun intended) loads of dosh to sort the handling?

I'll keep you posted about my searches for a red 03 at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Granty
castrolstorm

carb icing etc

Post by castrolstorm »

Hi Granty
Carb icing is not a problem, as the carbs have water heating ,
as standard.
As far as the suspension goes, you have preload adjusters, and rebound damper adjustments, and if you stiffen it all up on the adjusters, they aint perfect,but they aint too bad,we get by ok.
I think the post 2000 models have softer rear ends than earlier models, so if it causes a problem ,you could always fit the earlier spring.
I have a 97,and a 99 storm ,I go at least 16 stone,and the back end is pretty stiff on them.
cheers RICK :D
kingster

Post by kingster »

Hi Granty

If you budget a couple of hundred quid into the equation for sorting out the forks, then after a few months, save up another few hundred for a decent rear shock, then you will have a totally sorted stonker of a v-twin to play with.

Only other recommended mod would be braided hoses and better pads. Sorted.

After all, we all love to tinker with our bikes now, don't we? :wink:

Cheers

Chris
curly

Post by curly »

yes :D
Granty

Well that's it....

Post by Granty »

I've gone & done it!

I'll be picking up a yellow pre-reg from Bridge m/cycles in Exeter on Saturday. I didn't get the red colour I really wanted and I know I paid over the odds, but I made the mistake of going into the showroom armed with my flexible friends, and was like a rabbit in the spotlight as soon as I saw it. All the salesman had to do was take aim, I was a sitting target! :roll:

So then, who wants a red Arai Condor Staflag, it's only 3 months old, & never been dropped or scratched (actually it's hardly been worn) for about half price £150?. Or a 2 piece Spada race suit in red/black/white in good condition for around £90 (44 chest/34 waist) including a nearly new set of knee-sliders? 'Cos sure as sh1t this gear ain't gonna go too well on a yellow storm. Ho Hum. :lol:

I'll see if I can down load some piccies if I get the chance

TTFN

Granty
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Welcome to Storm addiction!!!! :D :D :D :D :D