Rattle, Rattle, shite

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
robvtr

Rattle, Rattle, shite

Post by robvtr »

Hi all

Well I could have gone out on the blade but went out on the storm

Coming round a corner and I heard a rather loud rattling from the engine, pulled over, stopped the bike and left it a few minutes

Fired her up again and it.s rattling like fook at the front of the engine and popping and banging (like on overrun)

Is it the tensioner gone ????

The bike has not been rattling up till now and running fine

HELP

Rob
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Sorry to say but it sounds like it :(
Rich.

robvtr

Post by robvtr »

cupasoop wrote:Sorry to say but it sounds like it :(
Thanks for the reply

Will it mean just replacing the cct or will it have caused other damage

Cheers

Rob
stevevtr1

Post by stevevtr1 »

I cocked mine up messing about in the garage,managed to slip a couple of teeth on the cam & luckily got away with it ( sounded like the engine was trashed at the time 8O ).That was on the rear cyl.The fronts a bit more of a pain to check.
Cheers
Steve
robvtr

Post by robvtr »

Thanks for the replies folks

I'm gonna have a look at it the weekend, I'm reasonably ok with the tools as I do most the work on my track bike, saying that this is the first twin I've owned but I do have a factory manual for it

A few questions

1. Is it adviseable to change both cct at the same time
2. If the front (very much souns like the front) has gone will it have thrown the timeing out and if so do I just re-time it as per normal
3. anything else I should be looking for
4.Where is the best place to get new cct's from

Cheers Rob

PS
I'm really pissed off as I was just getting used to the bike and really enjoying riding a v-twin
yorkylancs

Post by yorkylancs »

Mines a bit rattly at the front,it seems to come from the left hand side.So i ordered a new one from my local dealer,he gave me a price of about £60.I am sure Dave silver does them for about £30,might be worth a look.If you are doing the front,it is as well to do the rear,for piece of mind.Took the risk with mine,and went to donny this weekend,but its only a matter of time.......! :D
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

1. Why not, you'll have most of the bike in bits anyway.
2. If your saying it's backfiring now then it sounds like the chain has jumped a tooth or 2 and knocked the timing out. Don't bother with the manual, follow sirch's post at the top of the workshop section for a step by step guide.
3. Just hope the valves and piston haven't met.
4. David Silver seems to get the thumbs up.

Today I feel in a helpfull mood, I promise not to slag anyone off. I'll give it till lunchtime :roll:
Rich.

robvtr

Post by robvtr »

[quote="cupasoop"]
2. If your saying it's backfiring now then it sounds like the chain has jumped a tooth or 2 and knocked the timing out. Don't bother with the manual, follow sirch's post at the top of the workshop section for a step by step guide.
quote]

Are you saying that I wont have to re-time it but can just follow sirch's guide

Cheers

Rob
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

No, follow the guide. It shows you how to set up the timing marks to change the cct's. If they dont line up then the timings out and will need adjusting.

If it's the haynes manual you have then there's a bit wrong in it which will just confuse you hence Sirch's guide shows you the right way.
Rich.

robvtr

Post by robvtr »

cupasoop wrote:No, follow the guide. It shows you how to set up the timing marks to change the cct's. If they dont line up then the timings out and will need adjusting.
So if the timing marks line up on the rear are you saying that the timing marks will be inline on the front (by following the guide without removing the front cover)

Cheers

Rob
warby221

Post by warby221 »

The back and front cylinders are timed independently as they use separate chains
so the timing needs setting for not only the cams to the crank but also front cylinder to back cylinder as you could have the front and back timed 180 degrease out follow this link and start from there

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8326

also here's what i got of roger of rev racing

VTR CAM TIMING PROCEDURE

WITH BOTH FRONT CYLINDER AND REAR CYLINDER CAMSHSHAFTS REMOVED (Starting from scratch)

1) Turn C/shaft until FT appears and lines up with the mark on the cover
2) Fit FRONT CYLINDER Exhaust camshaft with the mark FE on the exhaust camwheel level with the c/head and at the front of the bike with the cam chain tight - RIP TIE the chain to the wheel
3) Fit FRONT CYLINDER Inlet camshaft with the mark FI on the camwheel Level with the C/head and to the rear of the bike - RIP TIE the chain to the wheel
THE CAM LOBES WILL NOW BE POINTING AWAY FROM EACH OTHER
4) Fit the cam caps and CCT - CUT THE RIP TIES

5) TURN THE C/SHAFT ANTI CLOCKWISE 270 DEGREES until RT appears and lines up

6) Fit REAR CYLINDER Exhaust Camshaft with the mark RE on the camwheel level with the c/head and at the rear of the bike with the cam chain tight - RIP TIE chain to wheel
7) Fit the REAR CYLINDER Inlet cam with the mark RI on the camwheel level with the c/head and pointing to the front of the bike -RIP TIE chain to wheel
THE CAM LOBES WILL NOW BE POINTING TOWARDS EACH OTHER
8) Fit cam caps and CCT - CUT THE RIP TIES
robvtr

Post by robvtr »

Ok could have been worse

Rob
Last edited by robvtr on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big_Ham

Post by Big_Ham »

Fit manual CCT's to stop it happening again. You just have to remember to adjust them at each service.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!