Taking the wheels out

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
genisis

Taking the wheels out

Post by genisis »

Hi All,

I want to take the wheels out of my Storm so i can get them powder coated. I have a rear paddock stand but i can't work out how to life the font out and keep the forks off the floor.

I might do the forks at the same time so does any one have a way of

1. support the forks off the floor (without the worry of it falling over)

2. Support the whole font end so i can remove forks and front wheel?

Cheers
Matthew
lee67

Post by lee67 »

paddock stand at rear as youve done.....trolley jack under engine( piece of wood on jack head)..and lift bike steady, ive done this loads to remove wheels/forks in one go...once bits off, u can lower the jack down onto a solid surface, i used a milkcrate under the block :wink:
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

Could'nt have put it any better myself!! :D
Not all those who wander are lost...
genisis

Post by genisis »

Thanks, i'm guess the paddock stand should be able to cope with that okay?
lee67

Post by lee67 »

of course, thats what there for m8..been doing it that way for many many years with no drama's
genisis

Post by genisis »

Cheers thats solved a puzzle for me :roll:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

As what Lee says regardin the trolley jack.
I found i had to position jack head in just the right area,or bike was wobbly,it was a matter of jacking up n down 2 or 3 times to find right position for balance. ( i didnt expect that when it was on a rear paddock stand) :!:
Also had a rope round the yoke and the roof beams in my garage :!: Was taking no chances.....had a bad experience before :oops: :!:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Also had a rope round the yoke and the roof beams in my garage
My cheapo trolley jack can go down after a protracted period, so I just wedge a bit of wood between its base and the jack arm and that does the trick.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

lee67

Post by lee67 »

this is why, once jacked up, i place something solid under..then lower the bike front onto it...jack removed for long work periods...never had any probs..then when ready to refit etc jack back up..forks in wheel on..job done :D
alan

Post by alan »

something like this is what your after the axle stands give support from it toppling over 8O which you dont want and to be safe get someone to give you hand

genisis

Post by genisis »

Thanks, going to get them done next month,

On a side note rang up my local shop today looking for a set of BT021 hopeing they will last a little longer than the ones i've used so far.

300 quid + fitting and they offrered me some MAXIS things for £150, A quick look on busters and i can get the BT021 for 150ish quid how come the garage has such a mark up?
adfski

Post by adfski »

Alan how dare you put such filthy pictures up? That shiny SSSarm and those gorgeous wheels. Pure filth.

I shall have to flagellate for an hour just to get those images out of my head! :lol:

:eek2
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

genisis wrote:Thanks, going to get them done next month,

On a side note rang up my local shop today looking for a set of BT021 hopeing they will last a little longer than the ones i've used so far.

300 quid + fitting and they offrered me some MAXIS things for £150, A quick look on busters and i can get the BT021 for 150ish quid how come the garage has such a mark up?
Would not pay over £200 for 021's fitted. On a side note i have just about worn out an 021 rear in less than 2000 miles. Better than an 014 though (1200 miles 8O )
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
genisis

Post by genisis »

blimy,

a friend of mine has suggest the mitachlin pro sport's he's on a TL1000 and has got 8000 out of the rear... that can't be right can it?
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I just replaced my Avon Storm ST's... after 10,000 miles and they were down to the wear bars.

Fitted Michelin Pilot Road 2's and I'm very very impressed with them so far. Estimating 6,000 - 8,000 miles from them.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.