tyre repairs..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
alan

Post by alan »

chuxsta wrote:well i took the wheel out to my local bike shop and they plugged it for £10..
was fine till late today when i checked it and after putting some fluid around the hole it was bubbling so i got to get a new set of tyres...
im not sure how our young'un does em but ill ask him hes in the hospital at the min though i'll back to you on friday
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

pariah wrote:you can always borrow my blow up linda and wrap her around yh rim, still has some good milage left in her chukky. As sirch knows, one size fits all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
8O 8O 8O I haven't said anything yet :!: Actually it's Cynthia :!: :oops: :lol:

Chris.

PS. I use the same as Pete.L, Ultraseal :!:
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

yeah i saw some of that stuff on the counter.. when i was getting my tyre done.

is it ok to stick it my tyre now i have that mushroom fix in there?
clack

Post by clack »

Chuxsta, where are you based, for small objects in tyres I always used to get them plugged by essential rubber in london, used to cost about £15 and lasted for the life of the tyre no matter how hard or fast I rode it. I'm sure other tyre fitters must offer similar repairs.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

clack wrote:Chuxsta, where are you based, for small objects in tyres I always used to get them plugged by essential rubber in london, used to cost about £15 and lasted for the life of the tyre no matter how hard or fast I rode it. I'm sure other tyre fitters must offer similar repairs.
no where near there m8, in the midlands..
i took it to have one of the mushroom plugs put in.. and cause i know them and they know my family i got it cheap..
it was the one with teh plaster on the inner wall and the small rubber peg that sticks out the hole and they cut it off.

but now there is a very slight leak from the fix..
adfski

Post by adfski »

get that ultraseal in there fella!

I had to use some horrible puncture sealant to get me off the mountain one day. It kept me going for about a month or so no prob and I only changed it because I wanted to have a blast. If that ultraseal is as good as it says it is then chuck it in there and get on with your daily commute.

Only problem I had was keeping to 30mph as instructed while the stuff went off. I went a bit too fast and covered the back of the bike and the wheel in sticky latex sh*ite which set like concrete.

I mean whats the worst than can happen? It could go flat on you again. No guarantee that won't happen with a spanking set of diabolos on.
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

I have a habit of getting at least one puncture within a week of any new rear tyre (never had one in the front, for some reason). Always get them plugged, don't change my riding & use it for the life of the tyre. Never had a problem.

Although my last tyre (which I punctured the day I got it), kept going down, so I went to get another plug & they found 3 more punctures... I called it a day on that one & forked out for a newie.

If the plug's done professionally, but someone you trust, you'll have nothing to worry about.

A new rear tyre here is around AU$300, so a plug for $25 is a good option.

I have a nice collection of things that've stuffed my tyres. Gunna make me a charm bracelet one day :roll:
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

thanks for all you relpies,,,on this ultraseal stuff

my only concern is this product is a prevention tool not a fixing tool

i already have a slow puncture, and have read mixed stories saying it should only be used in a healthy tyre and not to be used in an already punctured tyre..

have any of you used it after a puncture....
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

I used tyre weld to fix a real wheel puncture. It stayed up for about a week (although i only rode it about 50 miles).

When I took the tyre off there was a 20mm gash in it and a pice of wood rolling around in the tyre about 1 inch thick!

Wouldn't trust it long term or at speed, although Utra Seal sounds like good stuff.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

Jaglifter wrote:I used tyre weld to fix a real wheel puncture. It stayed up for about a week (although i only rode it about 50 miles).

When I took the tyre off there was a 20mm gash in it and a pice of wood rolling around in the tyre about 1 inch thick!

Wouldn't trust it long term or at speed, although Utra Seal sounds like good stuff.
nasty,,,

but in this case i have removed the object had it plugged, and the plugg has faield to fix it 100% i now have a slow puncture,
was wanting to know if its ok to use ultraseal on an already punctured tyre as they say its meant to be used PRIOR to any damage to the tyre not after.
lee67

Post by lee67 »

had loads of tyres plugged even once on a sidewall..with no probs whatsoever..£5 at local garage...
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

update......

went to the bike shop that plugged it and the guy that actually did it offered to re plug it cause he said that the type of puncture i had should have sealed with the mushroom...

but i didnt trust the guy that did it due to looking like grizzly adams...
so i bought some ultraseal, although they have changed the name now..

put it in when for the 5mile run that it says in the instructions and got back and it appears to have sorted it...

will check again in the morning and see if i have lost any pressure but so far, touch wood, its worked......
adfski

Post by adfski »

you got a fear of grizzly adams looking dudes? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big hairy scary man..... :lol:

Oh I'm sorry that tickled me.

I'll get my coat. :roll:
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

adfski wrote:you got a fear of grizzly adams looking dudes? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big hairy scary man..... :lol:

Oh I'm sorry that tickled me.

I'll get my coat. :roll:
twas meant to add a bit of humour in there, the real reason is cause it meant taking my wheel out again and carrying it to the shop, plus last time they managed to take a bit of paint off the wheel....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

chuxsta wrote: so i bought some ultraseal, although they have changed the name now..
I take it Ultra Seal now called Puncture Safe Chuxsta :?:

One thing I do regularly (Pete.L says he does it too iirc) is check my tyres for any nails or screws I may have been unfortunate enough to pick up. The main reason is a long nail or screw could be attacking the tyre on the inside of it without you knowing. IE. as the tyre compresses as you bank over, it could be trying to work it's way through the tyre wall and that could cause a blow out :!: Hopefully regular checking will mean you can remove a long nail or screw before that happens.

Not wishing to worry you, only making you aware :!:

Chris.