that huge clutch cover!

General Bike chat
kemsleystorm

that huge clutch cover!

Post by kemsleystorm »

afternoon all!

i will be soon braving the task of replacing that huge clutch cover (hooray!), thing is, is there any advice you guys have before i do?

got the mechanical seal, o-rings and the gasket! do i have to drop the coolant as well?

one more thing, how do you get that rear brake pedal thingy off, do i need to loosen the swingarm pivot?

cheers for your help.

miles.
120 miles per hour officer? impossible! i've only been out 20 minutes!
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

oh yeah, coolant has to come out as the pump is attached to the cover. Wot does your cover have a hole in it then?

you'll have to loosen the swingarm pivot bolt and then remove the M6 allen bolt on the right so you can rotate the hanger.

after you have the coolant out, draine the oil and disconnected the ignition pulse generator connector (located on left side if bike under frame, sort of behind the rad area) then take the bolts out. Remove the water pump cover and then you will se the impeller. After this the fun starts unless your lucky, the case will be really tight as the gasket has probably stuck to both faces and the dowels have probably seized in too. You can try using a peice of wood or bar with a rubber end from the other side of the bike to tap the case off using the tabs, it'll take forever but take you time. DON'T try and wedge anything between them as you could damage the engine cases. Once it's off then the face of the engine case must be cleaned to enable a good seal when it all goes back together. Try using the flat of a razor blade (well the side), be careful, I have never cut myself but you probably will. If a dewol is stuck in engine case then leave it, don't try and get it out as it'll end up shagged.

send another post when you get this far.

Del
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

BTW,

check out me vtx in the misc section of the gallery,

NOW THAT'S A CLUTCH COVER

Del
Fluffy

BUT.....

Post by Fluffy »

Its a big poncy shiny clutch cover :-)

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Nah it's not, I took that bit off (it twas like a big chrome billet dustbin lid) and jusy left the engine casing.

Del.
kemsleystorm

Post by kemsleystorm »

cheers del!

will have a mate who's a bike mechanic to give a hand, just wanted to make sure there is no nasty suprises waiting!!

no hole, just an annoying scrape.. want it to look spotless before i go mad with the mods i'm planning! :lol:

cheers geez!

miles
kemsleystorm

Post by kemsleystorm »

oh and del..

now my clutch cover has an inferiority complex!! :oops:

miles
RQ

Post by RQ »

Not a bad job, did it myself not long ago because I holed the cover.
It is a bit time consuming because of all the bits you need to take off. Like Dell said, the coolant has to go, the pain in the ar$e bit is getting the thing off the bike. I ended up giving a few good wallops with wood.
Then the fun bit is getting the old gasket off without it dropping into the clutch ! I wrapped the innards in cling film and then worked away on that. I was told to replace the washer on the front drain plug for the coolant, but didn't bother, still runs fine with no leaks !
RQ.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

How about popping a Factory ignition advancer in whilst the covers off :wink:

Pete.l
kemsleystorm

Post by kemsleystorm »

hmm!

now thats not a bad idea! :twisted:

many thanks pete.

miles
Fluffy

Wot you done Delboy :-)

Post by Fluffy »

I saw the exhaust wrap etc on it as well m8, you had it set-up and dynoed etc?

I rode a Yamaha Road Star Warrior for a laugh earlier this week, it was a feckin riot, it even nearly handled :-) If I ever get some dosh together I would have one of them and go out to purposley upset born agains on ducati's :-)

Tony
I see no Firestorm......
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

yeah only 111ft/lbs torque and 90somit hp.

Del