At last

General Bike chat
stevieVTR

At last

Post by stevieVTR »

After a weeks wait I finally picked up my bike. Although sad to say good bye to my ZX6R it wasn`t long before I was enjoying myself. Only problem is as I`m running it in I cant `enjoy` it as much as I want to even though it feels like its begging to be caned. Oh well, have to get back out and put some more miles on!!
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DD

Post by DD »

No no no, theres no such thing as running in now days. Check out your hand book it just says don't load it up.
I picked mine up 4weeks ago it now has 2000km on it. The first 200km I kept it under 4g up to 500km 6g once I hit 500km I took it on up t0 7-8g not often cos you are bloody moving at that point from 700 km I treated like a old motor.
cheers Darryl
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Yeah, the Kawasaki books give detailed instructions but the Honda one just says to take it easy. The guy in the shop reckons keep it below 6000 for the first 600 miles then add 1000 rpm/100 miles which seems fair enough. At least that way it exceeds the National speed limit so I don`t get harassed by car drivers on fast roads :roll:
DD

Post by DD »

I recon, and not every one would agree That if you dolly it around and not rev it out then the bike will always strugle to wind out and like wise if you ring its bloody neck (after a couple of hundred km's) it will always rev right out.
Why do I think like this? Well I once took 4000km's to run a CX500 Euro in and this bike bearly manged 180kph (it was always a slug) Were as when I ran the same motor in on a CX500 shodow (after full rebuild) after 200km's I screwed the snot out of it and I had that bike for 10yrs It kept up with some bloody big bikes, it redlined every time unlike the Euro.
cheers Darryl
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep. It's Official.
I was just reading an artical this weeked and Mr Honda said that with modern engineering bikes are ready from the crate to be run in at up to 80% of their Rpm and doing so normally leaves the bike more responsive and quicker revving. They also went on to say yhat the only way to really damage them at the running in stage was to labour the engine.

Pete.l
I also read another artical in which Silkolean Oil claim their latest oil out not only increases engine life but increases horse power too.

Interesting me thinks :twisted:
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Dealer told me that they had two CB500 race bikes. 1 run in carefully, 1 caned from the crate. Initially run in bike was down on power but loosened up over the season but the thrashed bike needed a rebuild by the end of the season. Any how 6000rpm seems good enough at the moment as it is over 100mph and I`ve done over 200 miles so by tomorrow night I`ll be around 300 miles and will build up the revs from there.