Potential VTR buyers read this first - I wish I had!

General Bike chat
Granty

Potential VTR buyers read this first - I wish I had!

Post by Granty »

Sorry everyone, but as some of you may know 12 days ago I bought a right lemon (appropriate really considering the colour of my new bike). :cry:

Since my decision to buy a new VTR has been rapidly followed by a lot of technical research into why it's such an unreliable dog, I have come across so much material that I wish I'd found before I made the purchase. :x So purely with the intention of helping potential new VTR owners make an informed decision I have cut & pasted a review from UK Motorcycle News:

FINISH

On the whole the finish is very good, but there are a few areas to check. The front of the engine may have a small fairing, but it still gets most of the road muck and the join of the two exhaust pipes is a weak point. Also check the radiators are not full of muck and the pillion seat cover comes with the bike.

CHAINS

AS well as using a lot of fuel, the FireStorm also eats its way through chains. Part of the reason for this is the cushdrive rubbers wear out quickly, but also because of the power characteristics of the pulsing V-twin motor. Between 6000 and 10,000 miles is considered the normal life of a chain on a Storm, while you'll see 10,000-plus miles on other twins. Always check how much adjustment is left on the chain and take a good look at the state of the rear sprocket. This will give you a good idea as to how much abuse the bike has had. Replacement sprockets can cost over £100 and a chain around £50.

TYRES

Chains, fuel and now tyres - this FireStorm is a hungry beast. In about 4000 miles you'll get through a rear if you're using normal, not-so-sticky road rubber like a Dunlop 204 or Metzeler MEZ4. Put a set of stickier tyres on and you'll get half that mileage and even less if you ride everywhere with the throttle pinned to the stop. When we had a FireStorm on our long term test fleet in 1997, over the year the best choice of tyres for grip, wear and stability were the MEZ1s, closely followed by Bridgestone's BT56s.

CUSHDRIVE RUBBERS

IF you buy a FireStorm be prepared to shell out around £30 every 4000 miles for rear wheel cushdrive rubbers. Honda's claimed to have cured this problem on bikes from 1998 onwards, but if you're looking at a '97 model be aware of this. With the engine switched off, put the bike in gear and raise the rear wheel off the ground. Then hold the wheel and move it back and forth while watching the rear sprocket. There should be a little movement. If it looks excessive then you'll need to replace the rubbers.

SUSPENSION

IF you're the type of rider who likes the occasional track day and is prepared to give it some stick on the road, check with the owner if they've had the forks re-worked. For really fast riding the forks are too soft and the back end is too hard. A lot of owners get the front forks re-worked with stiffer springs and revised damping. If the bike you're looking at has had this done ask who did the work in case you want to make further changes. An aftermarket rear shock is also a bonus and well worth paying an extra £100 or so for.

FUEL CONSUMPTION

OH dear. The FireStorm is one bike you really need to keep clear of if you want to cover a lot of miles in one go. If ridden steadily you can get a less-than-impressive 36mpg. However, under normal conditions this figure will drop to as low as 30mpg. Take it on a track day or German autobahn and keep it pinned and you'll be lucky to see 66 miles before the tank's dry! That's a measly 18 miles per gallon. Because of this, and the tyre and chain wear, the VTR is expensive to run. So, if you want to clock up the miles and not the cash steer clear.

ENGINE

Apart from the water pump, the engine is very reliable. But you would still be wise to fire it up and check for any unusual noises. If you've never ridden a big V-twin before, get the current owner to agree to a test ride. The nature of the bike means the engine is very lumpy low down in the rev range and around town you'll need to keep the motor above 2500rpm if you want a smooth ride. The tickover and low rpm running does get worse as the bike comes up to its next service. You can use this information to see if the service history is in order.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Well :lol:

WOT ALOAD OF BO**OX, I've done probably around 100k spread over quiet a few VTR's and not one of those comments applies to a VTR if you know how to look after a bike. If you don't then those comments would apply to any bike.

Blame it on bad servicing/dealers NOT the tool.

notice they didn't mention the one problem with the Bike, the CCT's, umm!

Del.
Scott Malcolm

Post by Scott Malcolm »

I still love mine and would consider buying another one day. Also take note that the newer models have a larger fuel tank too.

Scott
nobbyk

Ganty

Post by nobbyk »

I think you have had a bad start to your VTR career and need to wind ya neck in a bit. If you go and talk to a few Ducati owners and ask them about all the above problems they will agree with them and add a few!

The VTR is a different animal compared to 4 cylinder bikes and you have to adjust. Apart from the little hiccups, are you enjoying riding the bike?

Nobby
Remember, never put off till t'moz what you can do today. If you do it today, you can do it again t'moz!! Just a thought!
SiJ

Post by SiJ »

Granty

I agree that all of it is shite. It depends on your riding style and how you look after you bike as to how long it will last. Thrash it everywhere and it'll get f**ked more quickly. Give it a bit of tlc now and again and it'll go on for ever.

Done 7k on mine in a year had it serviced when required and i'm on my second set of d207's just changed the c&s at 20k miles (1st time), cush rubbers still o.k and now its dynojetted i see about 125 miles between fill ups. I'm no slow rider either and it is continually wheelied from about 10am Sat till 4pm sunday every weekend.

As i said utter shite.
Si
captainkirk11

Post by captainkirk11 »

Well said Del...........

The bike's a belter and probably the best bargain 1000cc bike at just over £5000 new.
I've had quite a few bikes and I will only swop my Storm for the same again.
My mate only get 100 miles out of his Fireblade and no one mentions that in Fireblade tests do they?
Read the Ride tests on secondhand Storms, they reckon they're a bargain now
And you're right Del, how can they miss the only real fault, possible CCT failures
sirch345
Site Admin

GRANTY

Post by sirch345 »

Well said Del,
Granty you'll find most bike mags/ newspapers don't rate anything other than the most up to date full on sports bikes RACE REPS.
I know its unfortunate you've had one or two minor problems so early on, but I think after reading your posts your main issue is that you are not being fair to yourself or the firestorm, it sounds to me you are comparing the big vee twin to your old smooth high reving (before you get anything out of it) 4 cylinder honda. Forget the old style of bike and concentrate on the new and if you stick at you will reap the benifits.
All the best Chris.
andyh

Post by andyh »

Hey Granty,
99% of what has been said in that report is complete tosh, I've never heard so much crap. You must have bought a right dog if it is as bad as that.
The Storm is the the best bike I've ever had, BRILLIANT!!!!

Andy.
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Granty,

sorry mate but you ask for it really :)

you've just sent a post on a VTR forum and told us all it's shite :o

just sit and think about it :roll:
Rich

Post by Rich »

l thought mcn gave it a good write-up last week, l've not had mine that long but l'm well pleased with it. all bikes have their faults !
its horses for courses if you want something cheap to run get a scooter!!
marktheimmortal

Comparing the storm to my last bike...

Post by marktheimmortal »

I've had my Storm for about 6 months now and the only gripe i've got with it is the fuel but...so what!! My last bike was a Buell Firebolt and after owning if for 1 year and putting 9K miles on the clock I had to get shut of it. It's the most unreliable piece of poo.

I don't regret my decision. I'd get 110 miles out of my Firebolt tank and I get the same out of my Storm but I'm not plagued with a bike that's constantly fcuking up and sitting in a garage for weeks on end waiting for parts.

I don't care having to keep filling up or buying tyres, it's worth the grin on my face.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Oh Granty you old worry wart. 8O 8O
Done 25k on mine in the last couple of years and other than normal servicing all Ive had to do was replace the front cct at around 19k cause it was starting to rattle and I didn't want to risk it
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pete.l
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Granty,

I think that your post has stirred some emotions here!!!

I do agree with Del and the rest, but I can also see where your coming from. I to had real reservations when I bought my storm, after the initial running in period I thought about selling it as it was realy different to anything else I had before and I struggled to "get on" with the totally different engine charactoristics etc, but after riding it for nearly a year I am a total convert. Yes the fuel consumptions sh1t but so was my speed triple before the storm. Stay with it mate cos you will really start to enjoy the storm once you get used to it, you also have a wealth of information availiable to you from the guy's on this web site and have a few laughs along the way, within no time you will be putting your R1 buddies to shame around the twisties and having to buy a larger size helmet cos you can't fit your grin in the old one :D :D
You've had a couple of knocks early on, things that are only minor (probably does'nt feel that way at the moment) but these can be sorted by the dealer under your warranty. Hope this helps and once you get some cans on it and hear the wonderful sound of car alarms going off as you pass them things just get soooo much better!!!

Stay with it mate.

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Granty

Post by Granty »

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I didn't write the report, I just said I wished I'd read it before making my purchase!

Anyway, I've got broad shoulders and I fully expected some strong replies, it was a bit of reverse psychology on my part to see what reaction I'd get, and in order to guage how accurate the report really is.

I have many years of experience on bikes (over 30 actually) many of which have been large capacity twins & singles, in fact it's only in recent years that I've had multi cylinder machines, so I am aware of techniques needed to coax carburettor'd bikes into life. I'm also well aware of how an unbalanced and poorly set-up twin carb motor performs, and it's totally unacceptable that a brand new machine should behave like this straight out of the dealers showroom.

As for all the advice that I should now spend shed-loads of wonga on engineering fixes just to make it reliable and economic, words fail me!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

It's Obviously a duffer

Give me £50 and I'll take it off your Hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete.l