bloody forks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
adfski

bloody forks

Post by adfski »

finally got my third set of fork seals on the bike today.

Left the instructions behind and put the oil in with the springs in the tube.

Got back and read one of the threads here saying to measure 130mm from the top WITHOUT springs in ----- butt!

Any idea what sort of difference that will make. I assume its a bit low but if anyone has any idea of the volume of a spring I might be able to syringe in a bit more oil. without removing them again.

Also they feel really stiff compared to how they were when they were leaking. I assume thats ok? Have I just got used to little or no damping?

Polished hell out o the tube to try and smooth some of the tiny pits out. But will have to wait and see.
:?
"military intelligence, two words combined that can't make sense"
fishface

Post by fishface »

i aint got a clue but i feel your pain :wink:
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

You're not havin much luck with the fork seals mate,mines has been fine since i fitted the correct ones, NO thanks to Honda :!:
You had me panicking,couldnt remember if i done it with the fork spring in or out ,just checked haynes manual,and factory service disc,,,,---130mm with spring out :!: Phew :!:
Best o luck....ps,surely no need to dismantle forks again,must be a way as if just changing the oil :?:
Beast

Post by Beast »

Replaced my fork seals the other week with generic ones.
Put 450ml in each leg and feels firm!
Had no problems what so ever and i do abuse the Storm in every aspect. :)
adfski

Post by adfski »

I'm sure they'll be fine for now but they must be low by the volume of the spring. Which will add up to a few ml.

The fact that they feel firm already is strange but the front felt so much better on my short ride home from work. Also did the shock and greased all the bearings and linkages so I can't wait to wind it up a bit.

I'm pretty convinced the leaks are caused by the slight pitting on the legs. I originally thought it was outside of the travel. But if pushed they will dip to the pitted area. Polished hell out of them on a lathe with some wet and dry and t-cut - so it should hold off the leaks for a little longer.

Also the fluid that came out of the forks was aluminium colour which is quite scary for only a couple of months usage. 8O
adfski

Post by adfski »

Just been for a spin and I don't think I'll change a thing. AWSOME.

Ok so Ive been doodling around on leaky seals for a month or so and the shock was wrecked.
BUT
Replaced the shock - greased all the linkages. Added a 3mm spacer to speed it up into corners and just got the fork seals sorted. Dropped the forks 5mm in the yoke to give it that little bit more....

And just went for a small ride to check it all out. In a word - confidence.

Felt bloody great.

If anyone knows of a good reason why I shouldn't leave it alone then let me know. But i'm well happy with it for now.

Also washed my brakes with a bit of "fastkleen" after doing the forks. Don't know if that was a good idea but in the absence of brake cleaner it needed doing. The brakes are awsome - but will I get away with it?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Mate, what feels good generally is good. If the set up gives you confidence then go with it. Not familiar with fast clean so can't give advice on that score.
Enjoy buddy
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
adfski

Post by adfski »

Yeah I guess so!

Not that it matters as its raining so heavily the world oil reserves will have run out by the time it drys up enough to actually enjoy it. :cry: