Fuel Tank Issue

General Bike chat
NZer

Fuel Tank Issue

Post by NZer »

I ride a 2004 VTR and have looked up the specs for fuel tank size. They all say 19. something litres but I can only fit 16 litres max into the tank. I have even run out of fuel and still it wouldn't take 19 litres.

Can anyone help me with resolving this issue?
Is there a special way of filling the tank haha!

Cheers
NZer

Post by NZer »

I'm sure it's the original as it has the new shape and the guy I brought it off was pretty genuine.

The specs sheet comments on a reserve but there's no tap?
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Reserve is or was the amount of fuel after the red light comes on but if yours is a late model you will have digi dash and gauge, not sure if you still have a warning light. If you could post a picture of the underside of your tank this can be resolved in minutes.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
kevg

Post by kevg »

hi there,

i have an 02 model with the larger tank, there is no reserve tap on the tank, as Beamish says the reserve is the amount of fuel you have after the last segment on the fuel gauge starts to blink on the digi dash, i think it lasts about 25 miles or so max.

i sit on the bike and fill it to the brim, there will still be an air gap at the top of the tank that you can't get fuel into, my guess would be that when they tell you the volume is 19l, they are counting the total volume of the tank not the usable volume that you can get fuel into. can't remember how much i normally get in from near empty but i'd say 16 - 17l is about right, i just remember that my wallet gets crippled every time.
cheerz

kev
Beast

Post by Beast »

Shapes the same isnt it not?
Thought the underneath of the tank was different and that the fuel tap/petcock is screwed on unlike the ealier ones that were bolted?
kevg

Post by kevg »

mine doesn't have a fuel valve on the bottom, it's just a fitting with the hoses attached.
cheerz

kev
Beast

Post by Beast »

If the later models don't have the petcock on the bottom of the tank then where does the vacum pipe go?
andyh

Post by andyh »

Its the same problem on the smaller tanks aswell, it says it will hold 16ltr but I have only managed to get just under 14ltr in it from bone dry. Me thinks it is probably what kevg says :wink:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'd be inclined to agree with kevg too :!: :D

Chris.

PS. Oops I only just realised, welcome aboard NZer :!: :D
Last edited by sirch345 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NZer

Post by NZer »

I can see what you are saying Kevg and i probably agree. I will try and sit on the bike and get some god damm more fuel into the bitch.
Cheers for the comments.

[/quote]
clack

Post by clack »

I did just that this morning haveing done ten miles with the light flashing, managed to squeeze a whole 14.6L in.
kevg

Post by kevg »

Yup, 02 as far as i know, but there were still old unregged ones being sold after the new model came in.
cheerz

kev
Beast

Re:

Post by Beast »

kevg wrote:mine doesn't have a fuel valve on the bottom, it's just a fitting with the hoses attached.
Bringing back up an old topic...

Can someone confirm...
On the 19L tanks, if there is just a screw fitting to bottom of tank then where is the fuel tap fitted?
Someone on the SH Forums said that the fuel tap is mounted to the frame?
Not even microfiche's show the 19L tanks and difference.

Just that i have had my 19L tank sitting gathering dust for ages! :)

Cheers.