VTR good bike for beginner???

General Bike chat
92DeuceCoupe

VTR good bike for beginner???

Post by 92DeuceCoupe »

Hey all,

I'm in Texas in America, and looking for my first bike. I've saved quite some money in high school, and have been wondering whether or not to go new or used...and I happened upon the VTR. Wow. Beauty. I looked them up, and listened to some sound clips of a VTR vs. a CBR....WOW!

Everyone in Texas likes Harleys and V-Twin sound, and while I like the high-RPM sound of 4 cylinders...the twin sound from the VTR was intoxicating.

I was planning on starting small, like 600 cc, but the VTR is 1000...but more usuable low-end??? I'm writing what I've picked up...correct me...

I live in the suburbs, and go about 20 miles to work, but mostly will ride in a town with 40 mph limits...occasional highway (when i'm confident enough)..

Is the VTR too much bike? Should I graduate to it? Or should I go for it....and be really really careful?

What's a good US price?

Thanks,

Nick
1992 Toyota MR2, Texas MR2, baby
jsheps

go for it

Post by jsheps »

go for it mate the fire storm is a very easy bike to ride ists a bike that will do any thing you ask of it but when you are more used to it can throw around and upset people who think there not that good a bike( went to the nurgburg ring with mates who rode gsxr1000, duke998, cbr600rr, blade, and upset the lot by lapping a min of 3min a lap less than them and going under them in coners).
go for it jason :twisted:
ex-viffer

Post by ex-viffer »

Hi, Jason.

Personally, I think the VTR1000 is too much bike for a beginner, as it has too much power so it's easy to get in over your head. If I were you, I'd start with at least a few months on a 'beater' bike, something smaller, more manoeuverable, and cheaper to repair if you drop it. Starting off on a bike, :D you don't have to have the bike you'd really like to own - just something that will get you used to the handling (cornering, braking, acceleration, etc.) You should be able to pick up something fairly cheaply, use it to learn on, then flick it off to buy your ultimate bike.

A dual-sport bike would be a good choice, as you could then practice on both the street and in the dirt, which is an excellent way to get used to bikes AND have some fun. I'd also register for a MSF course or two, and get some track time if you can. Buy some good protective gear, and always wear it, even if it's inconvenient or you feel dorky or too hot. Skin costs something like $1000 per square inch to repair, or so I've heard. :roll:

Hope you have fun, and stay safe.
- Ian in EnZed
(Red 97 FireStorm with Dynojet kit, APE camchain tensioners, bafflectomy+ploogs, UniFilter, GenMar risers, Avon Azaros, 90/130W headlight, digital clock/voltmeter), Braided s/steel lines.
stormy 1

Post by stormy 1 »

Thats all crap!.Just go for it,you will only end up wishing you did if you dont!!!.The main thing to remember is its YOU thats winds the gas on so its YOU that controls it :wink: :!: .Good luck and happy hunting :twisted: .
noise polution?,you should see my MPG!!!
VTR1000fw,scorpian cans,dynojet and K&N all wrapped up in HRC colours.I need a HRC avatar!.
Tony_tbone

Post by Tony_tbone »

Hey Deuce, my first bike was my 98 Superhawk. So I know it can be done. A guy at work told me "you're only going to wish you had bought it if you get something smaller for your first bike." So I went for it. But I had a very healthy respect for it and I treated it carefully for the first year of owning it. Just be mature about it. Don't let your excitement of owning a bike get out of hand. Like you, I had originally wanted a CBR900 but they were too expensive for me and the ones I could afford were either old with high miles or they had been laid down and rebuilt. When I saw the Superhawk and heard how great it sounded I was stoked. And I was pleasedethat it was less popular and a little more unique (and also less expensive).

I learned to ride it the day I bought the bike and road away. That was the first time I had ever riden a motorcycle with a clutch. I did have a minibike and a Honda Odyssey (dune buggy type thing) when I was a kid but no bikes with a clutch. I had owned cars and trucks with manual transmissions though so I was familiar with how clutches worked and felt.

Before I purchased the VTR though I did study a lot of websites about how to ride motorcycles and that was really helpful. I also purchased a good Arai helmet, some leather riding gloves and a Joe Rocket Speedmaster leather jacket (see kneedraggers.com for gear - great prices). Remember your head and body is worth every penny (and then some) that you spend on protective gear. The first 6 months I didn't ride very aggressive or try to ride faster than I felt comfortable. I also would go riding at night around some of the business/industrial parks where there is no traffic at night and practice braking hard and turning and braking and acelerating hard. That helped a lot also. Now I've owned the bike for almost 2 years and have spent a lot of time on it and I've never regretted buying the bike for a second. So I say go for it but just be prepared by getting the right safety gear and doing some good research on how to ride it.

Later, Tony
'98 VTR1000F - Superhawk 996
Dallas, TX
speedfreek

Re: VTR good bike for beginner???

Post by speedfreek »

92DeuceCoupe wrote:I'm in Texas in America, and looking for my first bike.
Boy, we Texans are taking over the place.. Eh Tony? :D
Everyone in Texas likes Harleys
Mabey in your part of Texas, but not mine :lol:
Is the VTR too much bike? Should I graduate to it? Or should I go for it....and be really really careful?
To be honest, if this is your first bike ever, no. The VTR is really
light and torquey and you can get yourself into serious trouble
with it.

If you've been on other bikes, like say dirtbikes, then you should
be ok.

I always encourage people to start out on bikes like the Ninja 500R
or the GS 500E. They're cheaper than the hawk, and easier to
repair when you drop them. -- And if this is your first ever motorcycle,
you WILL drop it..
What's a good US price?
I picked up a mint condition '98 SuperHawk for $4300.0. So that should
get you in the ballpark.
Thanks, Nick
Good luck bro!
8) TJ 8)
Life has a 100% mortality rate, and there ain't no cure.. LIVE IT UP! ... and yes, I'm 100% red blooded American infidel!
thehazmatguy

Post by thehazmatguy »

I also think the VTR1000 is too much bike for a starter bike. If the power of a 1000cc bike doens't kick your butt first, the insurance for a 1000cc bike will. Most of us drop our first bike a few times anyway. Why spend the $$ ?

If you like the sound, why not go for a SV650? They really do have a great reputation. A SV650 can take you from beginner bike to track bike.

If you want something really cheap, for maybe your first year on a bike, try a used 1987 - 1989 Honda Hawk (revere in the UK?) These have a great cult following, have a sexy single swing arm, and the v-twin sound that we all like so much. Name another 15 year old bike that you still see racing parts for! Do a search for the Honda Hawk on the internet and you will be amazed. They go pretty cheap on Ebay too.
You know the Austin Powers movies? I have always wanted to date someone like Allota Fagina... but I always seem to date her sister Sandy.
--------------------------------------
BP team

Post by BP team »

I disagree with speedfreek. As for me (and my friends think it too) a 500 is too little. a good size to begin is 600. But agree that a Firestorm is too torquey to begin. if you like VTwin and want to learn the basic important things of riding, try a suzuki 650SVS.
I try the 650svs of a friend, it's a very good bike, which can allow you to outride everyone in a little road if you manage to use it correctly. first learn to control a bike like 650svs or other 600, and then you'll be realy able to drive a firestorm, and to enjoy with a firestorm.
Learn to master the cat, then the tiger. :|
See you / A+

Oliv
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I'd agree with the opinion that a VTR is too much too soon for a beginner.
I started on a H100, then GS450, then moved up to a ZZR600 then the Storm.
In each case I'd get to the point where I'm at the limits of the bike THEN move up.
Its the reason many riders on track days are faster on 750's than the 1000's. Unless you've got a lot of experience you're not going to get the most out of a bigger bike, especially not in terms of being able to actually ride it. Any monkey can jump on a thou and go fast in a straight line, but they almost all get pissed on in the corners coz they can't/won't get the throttle open in case it spits em off.
I remember my first ride on the GS450, thinking I was gonna slide of the back coz the acceleration was so much. Then after a while I was wringing its neck everywhere. Same with the ZZR, same with the VTR.

If its twins you want (and don't we all!!! :lol: ) I'd DEFINITELY recommend the SV650. Cracking bike, handles well, engines good, gearbox is lovely (much better than the Storm) and there's loads of bits available to make it faster/tartier/tricker.
Learn to ride it PROPERLY and THEN move up to the Storm.
By that time you'll have more no claims so insurance will be better and also the new Storm will hopefully be out by then so used prices will be even lower

Ben
simon t

Post by simon t »

I'll echo the sentiments of the guys above. I started on a Fazer and after testing the Storm a couple of times, getting back on the Fazer just seemed so easy. Riding position, handling, controls, gearbox all make life so much more comfortable. I also take out my wife's SV650 occasionally and the same applies. The Storm is a great bike with bags of character but it does have it's strange foibles. You don't want to spend your first months of riding worrying about these, you want to concentrate on becoming a better rider. Don't rush things - the better you are when you come to the Storm, the more you'll enjoy it (and you will enjoy it).
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

I agree pretty much with what others have said. While it's definitely possible with the right attitude to have a VTR as a first bike, I don't think it's a good idea.

If you're at a level where you have still to learn about basics such as countersteering, hard braking, low speed maneouvring etc then it's a recipe for disaster.

The first difference is power delivery. Even though a 600 inline 4 is at least as quick on paper as a VTR, the reality is that you can give a VTR a little blip in 1st 2nd and 3rd and be doing over 100mph within seconds, without even revving it much. On a 4cyl you'd need to work the motor and purposely nail it in every gear to do the same. It ain't just the amount of power that you need to consider, it's the weight of a 1000cc bike too. While R1s Blades etc are quite light now, the storm is still quite lardy at 190-odd kg. That's a lot of momentum on a corner if you bottle it or run wide, and a lot of weight to manage at low speed compared to a 600.

I had a bandit 400 for a year before getting the storm, it helped make the VTR insurance affordable and also taught me a lot about how to handle a bike, how to pick one up after dropping it etc :wink2 Once I got the storm I learned as much again within a week, purely because it handled and went much better than the bandit.

So in the long term I think it'll be safer for you, and you will get more out of it, if you did some time on something lighter. For the record I think the fact that you're posting here asking us first is proof that your attitude to the whole thing is pretty straight. Good luck to ya. :plainsmile
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
BP team

Post by BP team »

Stormin ben told exactly what i mean and think. just one difference, he speak english better than me...
Furthemore, 650svs prices are dropping and becoming more accessible 2 years ago. There is lot of good opportunities.
Think about it...

Oliv
simon t

Post by simon t »

Hey Oliv (BP Team) don't apologize, your English is better than most of the guys on this site :lol: I'm a committed Francophile (wife from St. Etienne, cousins in Laval - not so far from you I think - cottage in Provence) but one thing bothers me. I thought there was a 100bhp limit in France. Those wheelies sure look like more than that - I hope you're not breaking the law... :twisted:
stevieVTR

Post by stevieVTR »

Hmm. Two sides to the argument. I didn`t buy what I wanted and regretted it (bought a XJ 600 Diversion) but then worked my way up the power ladder over the last 8 years. SV650 is a fantastic bike-don`t let anyone tell you its just for beginners-and is affordable to run but a lot of fun as well. Only problem I had with mine was that after a ZZR 600 it felt a little slow but still had it nearly 3 years.
The main thing is that you get a bike that you are comfortable on. If you work up to what you want you will probably learn more as you will be able to exploit the power and handling and when you do get a `big` bike you will be able to enjoy it without wobbling about feeling nervous.
Have fun on whatever you get!
.... no more bike, divorce sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BP team

Post by BP team »

Hi Simone T! I live in laval! :!: might be that i know your cousin especially if he's got a bike? Tell me if you come in Laval. :wink:
Yes in france there is a 100bhp limit. i think i don't break the law in spite of my KN filter and my mig exhaust which give me perhaps 3hp more.
those wheelies looks more than that since i ve had good teachers. :)
See you / A+ (like we say in france)

Oliv