Fuel Tank Size ?

General Bike chat
pete7

Fuel Tank Size ?

Post by pete7 »

Hoping to get a 19L tank I bought an 01 VTR on Wed with just 3700 miles(guess the previous owner just liked polishing her, who ever it was thank you). Filled the tank Wed pm with bike on the side stand. Road 95 miles before the light came on. Another 12 miles into the reserve before finding a garage and managed to put 12.74 litres into the tank with the bike upright. Given the reserve is 3 - 3.5 L is this only accounts for about 16L. Have I made a mistake? The bike is Jul 01 blue torquise and has the "Firestorm" badge on the tank. Is there any other differences between early and late Storms to identify them apart as I am concerned she may have been old stock just registered in 01.

Great bike though, :)

Pete
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

Pete,

I got a 52 reg one and found that it has the 16L tank :(
I think that there is alot of old stock kicking about stilland mine also has the firestorm badge on the tank. I shall be expecting a nice christmas card from the people at BP this year :D :D :D

Ian
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
SiJ

Post by SiJ »

'Storms with 19ltr tanks had updated clocks and forks on them which is the best way to tell. If your speedo face on the clocks is a full 360degrees its a 16ltr tank, If it has a huge electronic display slapped at the lower right corner of it its a 19ltr tank.

Some 2001/2002 reg storms are in fact the older models even though the bike was updated in 2001

Hope this helps.
Si
pete7

Post by pete7 »

Iggy and SiJ, thanks

Just seen 3 VTRs in Motoworld. 1 x 00, 1 x 02 and 1 new. All three have the orginial clocks. Spoke to the dealer, he said come in and we will sort something out, which suits, as I want them to do the servicing etc in the future and I want this bike.

Off to do some maths now for the mpg.

Pete
simon t

Post by simon t »

Mine was registered in March '02 and is definitely the older one. I bought it last month (from a dealer) with 800 miles on it for £4500. Seemed a good deal, but then you see the new ones at 5 grand. Still, saved all that boring running in...

Do the updated forks make any difference or do they still need Rogering?
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

The later 19l bikes also have black clip on bars rather than the silver ones on the 16l storms.
They are less angled and a bit higher.

If you fit the 19l tank you will probably nave to fit the newer bars as well.
They cost about £90 each.

I looked at changing everthing when I got my 2000 storm.
Around £500 seemed a lot for another 3l which works out to about 20 miles extra before the fuel light comes on.

You may as well have bought a 19l bike with the £500.

OR say sod it and spend it on fuel and go and play!!!
Rich

Post by Rich »

£500 for 3L extra 8O l have to stop for a fag and a cup of tea every 100 mile anyway so it works out about right.
kingster

Post by kingster »

Fuel consumption? No worries.

Just fit the 15T front sprocket, then your speedo over-reads, which makes you go for 120 miles (on the clock) before filling up :D

And it goes better!
adpolmike

Post by adpolmike »

lol i like your thinking there :)

why worry about fuel consumption? surley you didnt get a storm for fuel consumption :?
We are the nights that say nee!
pete7

Post by pete7 »

If I have done the maths okay 38 mpg following a canning up the M3, seems okay to me. The BMW RT only managed 40 mpg at these speeds.

:lol:

Pete
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Anyone know anything about Dynomite Performance's 24l tank for the VTR?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
kingster

Post by kingster »

No, but I live about 2 miles away from them (Asuming that you mean Dynomite Performance in Bournemouth), so I'll call in and ask next time I pass. No promises mind!

Kingster
always try and put youself in a position to take advantage of the available luck!
SILVTR

Post by SILVTR »

Kingster, thanks - but if you haven't yet, don't bother. They e-mailed me that they don't do it anymore. Maybe if they got enough interest, they'd do them again. Aparrently the R1 tank costs £1000 or something! Personally, I think I'd pay maybe £400 - £500 for the 24 litre tank if they did it again, IF range does turn out to be a problem (I collect my 98 VTR next week). Is range as big a problem as the mags make out?
94 Corolla and a big goo for an R1150GS
kingster

Post by kingster »

Hi Mark

I personally don't find the tank range a big problem, you will generally only get a 100 miles or so before the dreaded RLOD comes on, and then it's 10 -15 miles and she's on fumes! BUT you do get used to it and just stop a bit more often I guess.

As I said, doesn't bother me, but I don't do hundreds of miles every day - done about 4,000 since July.

Best thing I found is to put the smaller from sprocket on and then at least you THINK you're doing ok :wink:

Hope this helps

Kingster
always try and put youself in a position to take advantage of the available luck!
rlfk

Post by rlfk »

Yep dont worry too much about the fuel .. when was the last time you saw a ducati owner moaning about it and they are much worse!!