Stormy

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dagger

Stormy

Post by Dagger »

Hello

I have a bit of a problem. Was driving today and all of sudden the bike died. All lights are dead and nothing is working. I replaced the battery last week and cheked the fuse box ( the small one next to the battery ) is there any other ideas ?? When i turn the key no lights come on.....please help
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

have you checked that theres no wires grounding out anywhere? no splits/tears etc? had a similar problem years ago and it turned out to be a loose wire grounding against the frame.

If you have a multimeter it might be worth downloading the haynes manual and running through the checks in there.

Im sure some electrical boffin will be along shortly to help you out.. :D
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
grinner

Post by grinner »

Check all the other fuses as well! Plus make sure the battery terminals are done up properly, v-twins regularly shake them loose!

Also check the connection to your starter motor for rust and coming loose, same with the earth strap.

That's all the most obvious ones, but then I'm no electrical boffin!
Dagger

Thanks

Post by Dagger »

Thanks I will check and let you know of the outcome.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Is your regulator rectifier an early original one? What happened to your previous battery necessitating a new one?

There's also a 30a main fuse on the left of the bike's subframe near the starter switch. You'll need to remove the seat plastic to access it. I had to replace the whole unit (no.8 in the illustration below) after water caused corrosion causing the electrics to behave sporadically.
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi matey,

Have you checked the main fuse (30A) it's under seat to the gear select side of the bike, might be obscured by seat pod can't remember.
If that's gone you get no electrics at all.

Item 11 going into item 8 in this diagram (the other 11 is a spare)

If it has blown, there's a reason for it, probably a short to earth as Squiffy & Grinner have already mentioned. Without resolving the cause, it will go again.

If you have meter or know an electrician (preferably auto electrician), check out the harness for shorts, you can also visually inspect in case something has rubbed through.

A few months ago some to55ers tried stealing my Storm and tried hot wiring by shorting across the 3 ignition wires - this caused the main fuse to blow, thankfully that's probably what saved my bike!

HTH

Graeme.
Dagger

Thanks

Post by Dagger »

Thanks.

I hope that is the only problem. I quickly went to my bike ( Its not at home but few km away at Parents House after a very looooong push in the warm african sun) I tested the Battery and all is fine. So tomorrow i will check the main fuse .

Thanks for the assistance.
andy c

Post by andy c »

Also check Both battery terminals are clean and tight and the earth point
The bottom end of item 7 is clean and tight
Dagger

Yeeeeha

Post by Dagger »

Morning.

Thanks for the reply , the problem was the 30A Fuse. Replaced with spare and all is working . Now to find the problem.....Thanks for diagram i learned alot. This forum is Great !!!!

Now to take the Beast on the open road.It is very sunny day ( 32 Degrees outside )