Bugger to Start

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
yellowstorm

Bugger to Start

Post by yellowstorm »

Now that the mornings and evenings are getting colder, my Storm is becoming a bugger to start. It seem s a real struggle to get the engine to turn over let alone start.

I last changed the oil a couple of months ago and used 10W40, Would a different oil viscocity make any difference? At the same time I replaced the plugs and the air filter is relatively new.

I'm running a pair of ART race cans without baffles, would this have any effect (apart from p***ing the neighbours off at 4.30 am :twisted: )?

Is this just normal? (first winter with a Storm).

:?: :?: :?:
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Viscosity would make some difference. The exhausts wouldn't make it turn over slower. Do you pull the clutch in and turn the lights off when cranking?

Could just be a loosish connection from the battery, or the battery itself is on the way out.

I always start the Storm like this:-

No choke. Clutch in/lights off. Turn starter 2 or 3 times. Pull choke out slowly and repeat procedure whilst pulling choke out till she fires.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Both of my storms behaved like this in the winter.

An optimate type charger solved the problem.

V twins do need a hefty turn over to beat the torque
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

Many thanks.

Lights are definately off, but haven't tried slowly pulling choke out. Usually try choke 3/4 way out and feed it in as I try to start.

Optimate sounds like good idea. Are they weatherproof as the bike is kept outside?
Razor

Post by Razor »

Optimate isn't waterproof but comes with quite a long lead
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

any particular version of the optimate you recommend? there be a few out there.
Razor

Post by Razor »

I've got the Optimate 3 sp, came with a 2.5m extension cable and wall bracket, had no probs with it, think I paid about £30 last year.
Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional.
Beast

Post by Beast »

Now that the cold is here having the same problem...
Think its time for a service tho, been a while since i changed the plugs. :)
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

B*stard thing did't start this morning!!!! Pushed about 1/2 mile repeatedly trying to bump start it at 5am. So if you were in the Bournemouth area watching some tw@ running down the road bouncing up and down on a 1000cc banana, thanks for stopping to help :x

Needless to say got it fired up in the end.

Bought an Optimate 4 this avo, let's hope it works :?
yellowstorm

Post by yellowstorm »

Hooray :D :D :D

Optimated the battery all night long. The bike started on the button this morning with no hesitation.

Was on the verge of buying a new battery, glad I didn't as Optimate is about the same price and will keep the battery fully conditioned.

If you don't have an Optimate, add one to your Xmas list.

I think Bike magazine were giving them away free a month ago if you subscribe, may be worth checking out.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Glad you got it sorted.
But just a tip- check the main starter motor lead as it joins the starter.
They fail at this point and as they get thinner the resitance goes up, so it won't turn over properly- sounds similar to what you had.
If the battery's absolutely topped off it'll fire, otherwise it won't turn over. then one day there's a horrible smell of burning.....

Has it happened to me?
Oh, yes!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.