Undertray

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Simon 2

Undertray

Post by Simon 2 »

Having bought an undertray from stormin' ben some time ago i thought that i had better fit it. Only problem is that the tray is black and my bike is red.
Has anybody bought any paint from somewhere like Halfords that is a good colour match to R157 (I think) rather than having it made up especially?
I figure that it doesn't have to be hugely accurate due to a) its final location pretty much isolating it from the rest of the coloured bits on the bike and b) i'll be painting it in my garage with aerosols.
Have already primed it with a white pvc primer and am currently using white undercoat in readiness for the top coat and laquer.
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Simon,

Any colour mismatch will be quite apparent in bright sunshine. (not that we have seen much of that this year).

Any how I would get the proper colour. This website is excellent as it does single tins of colour match to full base coat repairs at a very reasonable price.

http://www.paints4u.com

Hope this helps

Nigel
Keep Her Lit !
zixxer

Post by zixxer »

sweet mother of jaysus that swingarm looks sweet.

did you do that yourself?
Simon 2

Post by Simon 2 »

Mike ,did halfords match the R157 code or did you use a different colour?
Simon 2

Post by Simon 2 »

Thanks for the link Stormtrooper, very useful and not that expensive either
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

I know when i went to Halfords, i took my grabrail with me off my Daytona to use as a colour match ,and was browsing the rows of aerosolls when i was approached by an assistant , he could not have been more helpfull, he spent ages mixing up, trying to get a good colour match, as the colour was not listed on his 'puta.

Poss if i was spraying the complete upper fairing ,the difference in colour would have been noticed against a separate panel , but as i was only spraying part of it,ie,the damaged area, it blended in great with the original paint:!:
He even gave me the wee tester/touch-up for free :)
Stevie
Simon 2

Undertray

Post by Simon 2 »

Have now painted undertray with the Halfords aerosol (thanks Mike) and applied 2 layers of laquer but presumably i need to cut it back with a paste or rub it down with wet and dry but which?

Also how many coats of laquer should i apply and do i need to treat each layer before applying the next as with the primer/undercoat/topcoat?