Google Earth

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
andyh

Google Earth

Post by andyh »

Hi gang, hope somebody out there has an idea because I haven't :oops:
Every time I try and start google earth up it displays DirectX mode not supported :? Then it says to try OpenGL mode and gives a link to try but nothing happens :?: It all worked fine a few days ago so I'm confused :?
If any of you lovely people out there know whats wrong could you try and explain it in words of less than two syllables,

Cheers Andy.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Err..ive nae idea :!:

i use this instead of google earth ...maybe worth a try till you get it sorted :!:

http://maps.live.com/
Stevie
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Reinstall Google Earth first.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > find Google Earth > Click Remove > Yes > Finish.

Restart PC

Reinstall Google Earth from the downloaded file or from the website.

Click Me for Google Earth

Should fix it.

If not, Reinstall directX too.

Click Me for DirectX

Reason for the above is my PC is fully up to date Microsoft wise and my google earth has no problems at all - so its not a directX update thats fluffed it. It could be one of a million things specific to your PC and without access to it, this is the easiest fix.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

OpenGL support should come as part of your video driver set, only program I have that definitely uses it is StarryNight. Anyway, you might try updating your video drivers (may also resolve the issue with DirectX). Make sure you have a viable backup first - driver installs can and do go wrong.. :!:

ChrisH
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

do your drivers first, then google, dont forget backup backup backup and by the way backup. 8O
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

After typing my comment I thought I'd update my drivers (Nvidia). What a feckin nightmare! Wouldn't install fer love nor money. Uninstalled the old drivers but then it came up with an obscure error message (which was FA to do with the problem). Turns out a registry entry was corrupt and I couldn't change or delete the key. After a struggle I managed to take 'ownership' of it and was then able to change it's permissions, and finally delete it. The driver install then ran OK. Computers are more trouble than they're worth sometimes...

ChrisH
chuxsta

Post by chuxsta »

andyh

Post by andyh »

Cheers guys, I'll give it a go :wink:
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

by an apple product :D