Vista / Norton anti-virus-- Slow start up pc

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Yes , i do disc clean up ,but it wont let me do a defrag,it says its not needed ,and performance is good :!:

I always delete cookies and temp internet files etc, not sure if i need to or not ,but i do it basically cos i do online banking...aye..i said banking :lol:
Stevie
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hope its sorted now then fella :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Norton is generally acknowledged to be resource hungry.

I run XP with Norton and its at startup its really s..l..o..w...zzzzz.

But, having had to rebuild my PC twice 'cus of virus infections I keep everything up to date and just live with the slowness.

Think I need more membory, but DDR is expensive and I'm thinking I might replace the whole lot (motherboard etc) rather than spend on out of date stuff.
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Uninstalling Norton has certainly made a difference on start-up ,it's a lot faster ,but the AVG free is still scanning every day , and still taking over an hour :!:
Is it really necessary to do a scan every day :?: Mind you, i'd have to look into it, im not sure if i can alter that or not with AVG free :?
Stevie
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

i have my avg scan and update at 6am as im not normaly on it then, no probs! i like it scanning everyday to keep all the crap away :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bikerpiker wrote:Uninstalling Norton has certainly made a difference on start-up ,it's a lot faster ,but the AVG free is still scanning every day , and still taking over an hour :!:
Is it really necessary to do a scan every day :?: Mind you, i'd have to look into it, im not sure if i can alter that or not with AVG free :?
Pleased too hear Stevie you now know what was slowing your lap top down on start up :!:

It's up to you how often you run a scan. I usually do a scan about twice a week. One manually and the other automatically set as below:-

If you click on Tools>Advanced Settings>then click on the + sign next to Schedules>Schedule Scan.....there you can set it to scan any day of the week at any time.

Chris.