Links within e-mails

Please use this forum to ask our resident IT geeks advice.
John Head

Links within e-mails

Post by John Head »

Can anybody help?
Any e-mails I receive containing links to the internet etc. The links do not work. All I get is a message saying "application not found". If I cut and paste, the link it works fine. Not the end of the world I know, but it is annoying.
Thank you.
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Most email programs will disable links in mails in their security features.

In Microsoft Outlook, its Under Tools > Preferences tab > Junk Email > tick box: Don't turn on links...

I'd leave it on and only click on links you know are genuine.

In Outlook you can hold down CTRL+left click the link to bypass it and activate the link within the email, or copy and paste it as you do now.

Alternatively, it might be that your email program doesn't know what your browser program is.

Check in the settings for your browser (options or tools etc) and check it is your Default Browser.

Lastly, might be worth running a spyware / virus check just to be sure. Some malicious code from websites or emails will mess with your browser settings.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
John Head

Post by John Head »

Thanks Kitch. I've had a look under tools and I haven't got "preferences" as an option. I've had a look around all the drop downs and am unable to find anything regarding links within e-mails. I'm running Vista. Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but any other ideas? I appreciate any help.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Not sure about vista but this works for xp, should be pretty close though.

Open My Computer , Goto Tools --> folder Options --> File Types
Scroll down to URL : HyperText Transfer Protocol.
Select it and click on Advanced.
Highlight Open , and click Edit.
Make sure the Application used to perform action is :
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
Rich.