Howdy peeps

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
grimley59

Howdy peeps

Post by grimley59 »

Been on the VTR yahoo listy type thing for years, thought I'd get round to joining another forum.

Have a 1999 Storm 125K on clock and the bugger has just eaten a CCT, as I was surrounded by lorries and it was pissing down (plus earplugs) thought the noise was a lorry, and continued wrenching the throttle as it lost power!! not the sharpest pencil in the box! Probably not economic to repair, but I shall have to see what horrors await I guess.

Bit of a hassle as it is my everyday transport - cover 25k+ a year.

cheers
Beamish

Re: Howdy peeps

Post by Beamish »

Allreet buddy, bad luck with the CCT but its not the end of the world and hopefully wont be too costly. Good luck.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

HELLO chap, get on eblag couple of engines up for grabs on there at mo!
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

Thanks chaps - shall have a look
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard grimley59 :!: :D

Sorry too hear about the CCT failure etc. I'm impressed with your Storm's mileage (125K) WOW :!:

If you're able to do the work yourself it won't be to expensive.

Cheers,

Chris.
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Welome mate :)

125,000 miles 8O ..well done :!:

Shame about the cct ,...to give us an idea of cct failure ,could you tell us how many miles you've put on the bike yourself, and how many cct's you have replaced over those miles :)
Stevie
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

I've had the bike since new. It was generally well looked after ie serviced when it should be, until 37k miles. I then moved from London to near Peterborough, but all my work is in London and the southeast (stupid move really), so I have put 90k on it in the last 3 years. Hasn't been serviced and has had about 4 oil changes :oops:

First CCT failure, bike has had a replacement 2nd hand starter motor and I have had 2 rear suspendy linkage failures - latest one I fitted with grease nipples. Been through 2 R/R and the clutch slave cylinder has developed a slow leak. Had one electrical breakdown at night, of course, due to wire chaffing through under the instruments and against the fairing bracket. Guess it has earnt its keep.

cheers
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:D Welcome Aboard :D
Not a bad service history considering the mileage and the use, Well done.
Will you be doing the engine rebuild yourself or putting it into a garage for the work?

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

Hopefully getting it sorted this weekend - CCT's arrived today. Fingers crossed the valves are ok.

cheers
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

Bugger - both inlet valves are bent and I assume the exhaust will be the same, whipping off the head tomorrow, its vodka frenzy time now
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

grimley59 wrote:Bugger - both inlet valves are bent and I assume the exhaust will be the same, whipping off the head tomorrow, its vodka frenzy time now
Not wishing to raise your hopes too much, but the exhaust valves may be OK :!:

Chris.
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

:)

I've picked up a used cylinder head off ebay - cant be bothered to dismantle all the fiddly bits. Hopefully that will be a straight bolt on.

Cheers
folks
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

grimley59 wrote::)

I've picked up a used cylinder head off ebay - cant be bothered to dismantle all the fiddly bits. Hopefully that will be a straight bolt on.

Cheers
folks
That's one way around it I guess :!:
I hope all goes well :!:

Chris.
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

That bike doesn't owe you a thing with that mileage/record!! Good stuff. Makes the rest of us summer wussers only feel a bit ashamed.
Still, good luck with the rebuild. Piston's OK I take it?

LSM
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Piston's OK I take it?
Hopefully not piston broke like me :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!