Howdy peeps

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
grimley59

Re: Howdy peeps

Post by grimley59 »

Hi chaps,

Piston is fine, couldn't see any marks where it had hit the valves but all 4 are bent. The piston is actually quite clean, still see the metal, only the centre is black but seems to be decocking itself in the garage as the coke is getting soft and peeling off in the damp air :D

I received a cylinder head off ebay which they thought was the front but it turned out to be the rear, but they are exchanging it. I'm also getting Ratty's engine, so in a bit of a dilemma whether to stick the newer engine in or continue to run the old one as far as I can then swap them over. Despite the lack of maintenance/oil changes there is bugger all in the way of wear visible in the top end so hats off to Mr Honda, if only they could design a CCT with the same efficiency eh?

cheers
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I assume that the engine's still in the bike?

Personally, I'd just fix the broken bits and carry on.

The bottom ends are solid, and if the piston's ok it's unlikely you'll have done any damage to the rest of the engine.

Spare engine's a luxury worth having, though. If you don't need it you can always turn it back into cash.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

Well, all up and running since tuesday, seems to be going well. i took the opportunity to fit a dynojet kit that I've had for ages but hadn't got round to fitting. Bike definately pulls a bit better but at a cost, seem to have lost about 20 miles to RLOD - clearly needs a dyno check! The bike had also been spitting back through the airbox really bad and this seems to have disappeared as well.
Here's to another 125k miles :)
Bluefox

Post by Bluefox »

8O

Hi mate,
wow thats impressive milage,
do you find people do tend to right off high mileage bikes when they're buying?your's just goes to show.
My hat is well & truly doffed,nice one. :wink:
grimley59

Post by grimley59 »

I would probably think twice before buying a high mileage bike myself. But they clearly can go on and on...........and on! As mentioned previously, my heap is a workhorse, gets used and abused and I cover 20-30k a year. I ended up with a stack of spares whilst sorting the CCT failure and to be fair there is no evidence of wear on any of the heads - just bent valves :lol:

I don't think my oil consumption is particularly high - yet.

cheers m8