Flies are open

General Bike chat
tony.mon

Flies are open

Post by tony.mon »

-for business again I see- visor needs cleaning after every ride!

Won't be long before the first rape seed field bee bursts all over my freshly-cleaned bike.

Then later in the summer, there's flying ants to look forward to, shortly followed by gritting and road filth until next March/April.

Ain't nature wonderful? :D
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stratman

Re: Flies are open

Post by Stratman »

Sods law. Stop for a cuppa, clean the visor. Next thing, huge glutinous bug splats on to your line of vision :x

Can't James Dyson invent a self cleaning, air conditioned helmet?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That's one thing that amazed me at the IOM TT, how many flies had attached themselves to a race bike during a race :!:

Chris.

PS. I always think the warmer weather has started once I get back from a ride out with a few flies attached to my visor :D
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

once had a large wasp appear walking on the inside of my closed visor,whilst "making progress" there s nothin like that experience to bring out the BIG GIRLS BLOUSE in you
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

ChrisC wrote:once had a large wasp appear walking on the inside of my closed visor,whilst "making progress" there s nothin like that experience to bring out the BIG GIRLS BLOUSE in you
Happened to me twice in France last year. Takes a lot longer to stop than you think! Takes half as long to get your gloves and helmet off than you thought possible though!
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

What a bunch of grumpy old buggers we are! We spend all of the winter complaining about the weather and all of the summer complaining about the bugs and the sweating!! :biggrin
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

Timbo wrote:When we did the last matlock meet last year the flying ants were unbelievable up at the cat and fiddle, everything was covered in them, especially green Kawasakis and yellow Storms :)
Flies round SH*T ????? springs to mind !!!! :lol:

Should have got a RED one !!!

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Sticky flies = Sticky tyres :biggrin Bring em on.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mellis wrote:What a bunch of grumpy old buggers we are! We spend all of the winter complaining about the weather and all of the summer complaining about the bugs and the sweating!! :biggrin
Dammit, you're right!
I'll get me (waterproof) coat.

And the rain washes the bugs off anyway.
:D
bandsawman

Post by bandsawman »

I always carry a small spray bottle filled with windowlene (the clear version) and a piece of paper towel in my jacket pocket - at traffic lights I can quickly whip it out and clean the outside of my visor without removing helmet or gloves (and then I whip the windowlene out...)
Going anywhere in a car is a journey, going anywhere on a bike is an adventure!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Do the windscreen of that car next to you and ask for a quid, while you're there.....

I use baby wipes- the ones that come in a little resealable pouch. They don't stay moist for long in a jacket pocket, but they don't take up much room, and they don't scratch the visor.