all chained up

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
stormingjoe

all chained up

Post by stormingjoe »

must say the old drive chain dont last long, DID X ring 8,000 miles fur gods sake, my old cbr 600 done 18,000 on one!!!! :mad2
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
tangostorm

Re: all chained up

Post by tangostorm »

Hi mate try getting a scottoiler i have had one on all of my bikes for the last 8 years or so and they must help as i always get great miles out of a c&s kit.Me and one of my mates hade the same bikes years ago we both got the same c&s kits at the same time. Cant remember the miles now but i got nearly double out of my kit.I put this down to the scottoiler but what you have got to remember is the firestorm has got mega torque and this wont be great for any chain.Cheers :D Mark.............................
stormingjoe

Post by stormingjoe »

that is with an oiler, got a small (not stretched as much as the rest) so with the tight spot adjusted correctly, the loose bit(stretched) got 4 inchs of slack, slaps the oiler feed to smithereens and under the swinger all seems to havehappened in last 4 weeks as its checked/adjusted on a weekly basis. The bike felt that the carbs needed balancing or had a misfire below 5,000 rpm, alas carbs are ok :plainsmile . Chain RIP :sad2
1998 Firestorm, 47,000 miles, forks valved & sprung, proflex shock +4mm over standard, manual ccts', k&n, 50#slow 185#/190# mains, front carb slide mod, R6 throttle tube, Tank raised, Viper cans, Coerce fork brace, EBC lite front discs & pads.
Hankie

Post by Hankie »

Your cush rubbers in good nick? Constant snatching wil shorten chain life.
evo360

Post by evo360 »

slightly off subject but I have adjusted the chain up to the maximum but it is slightly too slack still. I was wondering what the dangers of adjusting the chain past the markers on the chain adjusters. I would like to use my bike but its not booked in for the new chain until the end of the month. I just wanted one last run while the sun is shining! I assume that it is dangerous but can anyone tell me otherwise?
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Well ,the chain adjustment marks are there for a reason,.......me personally , well if it was a nice day i'd adjust the tension and go out on it ,your choice though :!:

Also check youve got a standard front sprocket fitted ,and someones not fitted a smaller sprocket as they have to mine ,as this will give you a false marker reading :)
Stevie
mwad

Post by mwad »

My Firestorm has 5200 miles and the chain is well and truly past the half wear mark. I might be very lucky to get 1500 miles or so before I need a replacement.

And this is with a regular lubed chain ! :twisted:
VTR's are for life, not just for Christmas
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mwad wrote:My Firestorm has 5200 miles and the chain is well and truly past the half wear mark. I might be very lucky to get 1500 miles or so before I need a replacement.

And this is with a regular lubed chain ! :twisted:
But most of the wear happens in the first thousand miles or so. It doesn't wear at a constant rate.
I'd imagine that weather/road conditions also play a part.

Salt, grit, wet or dry, trips across the Sahara....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.