andy c

ZX7R What to look for ?

Post by andy c »

Got a possible swap for my Storm with a 1997 ZX7R
Any Help on Things to look out for would be a great help
gilson

Re: ZX7R What to look for ?

Post by gilson »

I used to have one of these. They look the nuts, but I hated it. I originally had a BMW GS as my first bike, OK, OK... it's a twin though! Then wanted some revs so got this Kwak. Man alive, you have the rev the tits of it to go anywhere.... well, that's what I thought. Then I bought a Firestorm and will never buy an IL4 again....

At 16K miles it needs, or is recommended to have it's valves checked. I did this myself, doing a very good job, and it still sounded like a bag of bolts. But then all Kwaks sound like that, even the new ones! ;-)

I also changed the fork oil, might need doing for this age, and that made a difference, but everything else was OK. Check for consumables of course.

Also the fairings are super expensive, the front one is over 500GBP itself. I sold after 8 months....

I have some pillon handles, a slightly damaged rear seat and some bar ends if you want! ;-) Must put them on ebay soon....

The most important thing to remember is if YOU like it...
No bike (yet).
andy c

Post by andy c »

i keep changing from IL4's (best was the ZX12R you could ride that baby like a twin too quick for she who must be obayed :D )to twins on my 4th storm now and not using it as much as i should :oops: dont know whether to sell it and be done with riding or what :(thought a change would help me decide). The ZX is standard no can no cut down rear fender nothing. Fork seals were done 6 weeks ago so that should be ok thanks for your answer any one elses would also be appreciated.
Andy
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Trouble is, Andy, we're all converts to V Twins on here, so you'll get a biased opinion.

Apart from me, of course, I am wise beyond my years, trustworthy and completely honest and my opinion can be had for only £10 (Paypal accepted).

Any which way, whatever you end up with, you'll probably ride it about as much as the one you've got now.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Always liked ZX7R's... they look lurvley-v nice front end.

It's the build that’s always put me off. Downpipes rotting, rear shockers and linkages pooped after minimal miles and paint flaking off the fairing/wheels. If you get one just make sure it’s been very well looked after whatever the year.

Tony is probably right though-if you're not using your bike atm why bother? If a storm aint doing it for you can't see how a 7R will.
SP1's rock!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Coledog owned a ZXR750 some years ago. See link, last post:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 9&start=30

Preferential choice,

Chris.
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

Dont bother would be my opinion. If you dont need the cash and are not lusting after another bike keep the Storm. See if you get back into biking later on down the line or buy a big trailie to try some different riding styles.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
andy c

Post by andy c »

Gone and done it :lol:
Always Wanted One So Lets Give it A go
Pick it up on Sunday

Hope you lot will still talk to me
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

andy c wrote:Gone and done it :lol:
Always Wanted One So Lets Give it A go
Pick it up on Sunday

Hope you lot will still talk to me
Fair enough mate, enjoy. I talk to all bikers ......even Hardley Worthitson owners :lol:
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

Is that the actual bike Chris/Andy?

Looks cool 8) Very pretty looking bike.

Enjoy, like they say-in for a penny and all that :)
SP1's rock!
andy c

Post by andy c »

No thats not it will post some when i get it.

May have a new recuit sometime soon as
my storm still has the site stickers on it.

wonder if you can get VTR1000.ORG stickers in LIME GREEN :think: