First ride on a VTR1000 - Im in love...

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
tentman

First ride on a VTR1000 - Im in love...

Post by tentman »

MSG for Mick B

Get that bike, I have just got back from my first ride out on my new VTR.... Im in love... Going from a modified 400cc two stroke with 50 - 55 bhp (on a good day) with no engine breaking to this much power and, to me so much engine breaking.... god it mad, fantastic, crazy but easy to ride as a newbie...

I did fall fowl once, Im sure this is just the nature of the beast and ill get used to it but my first run out had a T junction and I was sitting there ready to pull out and just didnt expect I needed so much throttle. Im not explaining this well but my hearts still going crazy. What I mean is I nearly stalled it, I think as its just a big twin I need to keep the revs up when i pull away.. Can you let me know if this is right or have I got a lemon... it rode so well the rest of the time and I hardly had to change gear, I think I was in 4th most of the time and stayed between 4000 - 7000 revs and it just pulled and did everything i wanted.

I now see what it is you all like about the v twin... I know ive got so much to learn and get out of the bike but its going to be a great lesson.

Regards

Tentman / Gary
Beamish

Re: First ride on a VTR1000 - Im in love...

Post by Beamish »

:lol: :lol: :lol: great aren't they. Its pretty normal to have to give it some revs to avoid stalling so dont worry. Enjoy buddy.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

8) converted :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

the pull away stall is normal, you get so used to the midrange torque that you have to remember that you need a bit of throttle or a slip of the clutch to get going.

Glad you like it, if you have loud pipes as well the grin never stops :D :D :D :D
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're certainly smitten :D
As the others have already said, that possible stall at taking away from a junction is normal,

Chris.
tentman

Post by tentman »

Cheers guys....

Its a long time since I lost my virginity but todays first ride was a lot like my first time...

I was so looking forward to it, it didnt last as long as I would of liked and im sure I wasnt that good and im sure I enjoyed it more than the bike.... I still had a great time though and I cant wait to practise some more...

Are then many members around Cambridgeshire..

Gary
Last edited by tentman on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Mind and change up early into second Gary. Stops it sounding like the engine just fell out.

Keep having fun.
Rich.

Jbrebel

Post by Jbrebel »

8)

Glad your enjoying it :)

The VTR has a very nice engine for smooth, quick road riding. The spread of torque is lovely.
SP1's rock!
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

tentman wrote:MSG for Mick B

Get that bike, I have just got back from my first ride out on my new VTR.... Im in love... Going from a modified 400cc two stroke with 50 - 55 bhp (on a good day) with no engine breaking to this much power and, to me so much engine breaking.... god it mad, fantastic, crazy but easy to ride as a newbie...

I did fall fowl once, Im sure this is just the nature of the beast and ill get used to it but my first run out had a T junction and I was sitting there ready to pull out and just didnt expect I needed so much throttle. Im not explaining this well but my hearts still going crazy. What I mean is I nearly stalled it, I think as its just a big twin I need to keep the revs up when i pull away.. Can you let me know if this is right or have I got a lemon... it rode so well the rest of the time and I hardly had to change gear, I think I was in 4th most of the time and stayed between 4000 - 7000 revs and it just pulled and did everything i wanted.

I now see what it is you all like about the v twin... I know ive got so much to learn and get out of the bike but its going to be a great lesson.

Regards

Tentman / Gary
Well Gary got my bike today and it was a weird experience. I felt like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning :o
Anyway like you coming from an in line 4 the way you ride is like starting again. I thought at every junction wheres my revs then ooops there they are :lol: . I love the engine braking as I hardly used the brakes to slow down but then your revs are gone. I am loving this learning curve but I do admit it is strange but fun.i have found mastering slow right hand roundabouts is a must though lol.

The only down side for me is my palm of my hands across my thumbs are hurting after an hour ride so need some advice on how to raise the bars a little.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Mick B wrote:The only down side for me is my palm of my hands across my thumbs are hurting after an hour ride so need some advice on how to raise the bars a little.
Just a new riding position, give it a chance and you'll probably find the pain goes away. If it doesn't then you can start to wonder about new bars.
Rich.

Mick B

Post by Mick B »

cupasoop wrote:
Mick B wrote:The only down side for me is my palm of my hands across my thumbs are hurting after an hour ride so need some advice on how to raise the bars a little.
Just a new riding position, give it a chance and you'll probably find the pain goes away. If it doesn't then you can start to wonder about new bars.
:thumbup: :mrgreen:
tentman

Post by tentman »

Hi Mick

Last night was my first proper 100 mile ride... As you i was amazed at how little i used the brakes. What i found great was the way i could leave it in 4th on A roads and over take lines of traffic with so much ease. I likes the way when i slipped back into the line of traffic i just let the bike/engine to the work/braking.

I have never liked a bike as much as this one. Again im the same as you on slow round abouts...its the slow riding i find a bit tricky re what gear to be in etc but when your out and about its great.

Let me know hoe your getting on in a week or so.

To all the owners who have had your bikes sometime i hope you still get the buzz Mick and I are getting.

Regards

Gary / tent man
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

To all the owners who have had your bikes sometime i hope you still get the buzz Mick and I are getting.
I still do. After 8 years :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I am getting a buzz reading about you getting a buzz 8) . Its great to hear about other bikers discovering the twin experience.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
Mick B

Post by Mick B »

tentman wrote:Hi Mick

Last night was my first proper 100 mile ride... As you i was amazed at how little i used the brakes. What i found great was the way i could leave it in 4th on A roads and over take lines of traffic with so much ease. I likes the way when i slipped back into the line of traffic i just let the bike/engine to the work/braking.

I have never liked a bike as much as this one. Again im the same as you on slow round abouts...its the slow riding i find a bit tricky re what gear to be in etc but when your out and about its great.

Let me know hoe your getting on in a week or so.

Regards

Gary / tent man
Done a good fifty miles today and still grinning. I am starting to fall in love with the engine braking as it feels so safe when you back off. Still trying to find the best revs clutch slipping technique for slow right hand roundabouts but I think it will come good in the end.
another strange thing is lots of bikes out today but the Storm seems to get a lot of looks as you cruise past pubs etc :mrgreen: .

I am now thinking of the debaffle mod to see if the glorious sounds increase.