Bellypan .........will it melt?

General Bike chat
AMCQ46

Bellypan .........will it melt?

Post by AMCQ46 »

As you will know from the Pimp my ride photos, I just fitted a Morawaki style belly pan, and having taken the bike for a quick thrash to the local bike night, I am worried that it is getting F***'n hot where it now covers the front exhaust header as it passes to the righthand side of the sump.

I looked on some earlier threads and saw some comments on melting and paint bubbling, also some designs have a cutout where it passes closest to the exhaust.

My belly pan in made by Skidmarx from Glass Reinforced Plastic [ie like canoe glass fiber, smooth gel coat on the outside, but rough fiber inner surface].

Any one have similar experience? Is the GlassFiber more robust than a moulded plastic, or should I get some heatshielding sorted?
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Re: Bellypan .........will it melt?

Post by AMCQ46 »

Bugger, I forgot to use the new smilies

:boobs: :Richard: :sheep shagger:

so here are some that I might have used [or perhaps not]
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I cant take the credit for the new smilies, they are now on our list if you click on the "view more smilies" button to the left
AMcQ
Jim67

Post by Jim67 »

:worthless_thread_wo_pics: :boobs: :beer: :Dancing1: :deadhorse1: :Richard: :Finger: :flasher: :kneel: :Kiss Ass: :Saber: :sick: :smoke1: :smoke: :spam: :Stewy: :stickies: :this_thread_is_useless_without_pics: :Wave: :wonker: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Sorry had to try them out, !!!!

Back to the belly pan, I have the same one mate and I havent check lately but I am sure mine is ok.......you got me thinking now :Thinking: :Thinking: :Thinking:

Jim.

RACIST!!! not me....I'll race any fooker!!!!
Beamish

Post by Beamish »

I know my Sharkskinz model had a small amount of padded heatshield around that area but if yours hasnt melted already with the 24 degree days we have had I cant see it ever becoming an issue to be honest. :sick: :flasher: sorry had to do it.
I see myself as a sensitive intelligent man but with the heart of a clown that causes me to **ck things up right at that crucial moment........'Jim Morrison'
andyh

Post by andyh »

I have a powerbronze mirowaki one fitted to mine, and I had to take a sander to it and give it a bit more of a gap because it started to bubble. Sorted now though, and looks the nuts :cool2
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

andyh wrote:I have a powerbronze mirowaki one fitted to mine, and I had to take a sander to it and give it a bit more of a gap because it started to bubble. Sorted now though, and looks the nuts :cool2
Andy is the powerbronze one also glassfiber?

PS you forgot to over use the new smilies :bondage:
AMcQ
andyh

Post by andyh »

Yes the powerbronze one is fibreglass :Tongue2: :Tongue2: :Tongue2:
sorry about the smilies
bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

Not sure who made mine,was told Skidmarx by the forum member i bought it from,but it was fibreglass and had a cut-out for the exhaust pipe running along the length of it. Never had any problem with it .
Stevie
seanp

Post by seanp »

Hi,

I just fitted one of these bellypans from Skidmarx to my Storm a couple of weeks ago and had exactly the same thought/problem - it was IMO way too hot. I gave them a call and said I was concerned - don't know who I spoke to, but he was more than helpful and I asked if they had any heat shielding - he sent me some strips (FOC) which arrived the next morning and they've done the job perfectly - doesn't get hot at all now.

I cut and put the strips along the length of the right hand side nearest to the exhaust and also across underneath the rear header just to be sure. Now it's all fine - no worries :D

It looks the business now too :thumbup:

Just give them a call on 01305 780808 they'll sort you out...

Hope this helps

SeanP
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Seanp,
I just phoned them, as as you said, they couldnt be more helpfull, Aluminium tape is in the post as I type this.

He did say glassfibre shouldnt melt as long as exhaust is not in direct contact, but that all new product is being sent out with the tape included in the package.

Thanks for the good advice, will put my mind at rest.
AMcQ
seanp

Post by seanp »

Oh good that's great :D

They don't 'arf look the nuts don't they...?!

Cheers,

SeanP
ixworth stormer

Post by ixworth stormer »

hi, my storm has complete lower fairing and was melted when i purchased bike,cut out damaged area and fitted a section of aluminium mesh ,looks quite cool and sorts problem
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Anyway, the more melted plastic you have on your downpipes the less "sort of rusty, but not really" discolouring you get.

Anyone got a Ti welder and a pipe bender at home?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.